Author Topic: Looking for bag suggestions  (Read 1946 times)

BongoBob76

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Looking for bag suggestions
« on: June 06, 2022, 11:04:38 »
Hi all,

I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could point me to medium-sized camera bags that will be able to carry:
  • A film SLR (Nikon FM3A) with a manual focus 28-85 lens attached, with or without the MD-12 motor drive;
  • A telephoto zoom lens (Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/4 AiS or 70-210mm f/4 AiS);
  • An extra lens (e.g. a 50mm lens or a Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 ZF);
  • A flashgun (the biggest I have is the SB-800, and I'm on the lookout for an SB-22);
  • A square filter holder;
  • One or two pouches for square filters - ND grads or sunset filters, etc.;
  • A few rolls of film;
  • A few accessories, such as a cable release and a couple of lens caps;

It will need to be an all-weather bag, and reasonably sturdy. I'm not sure my Lowepro Nova 4 AW has enough room, and I understand a backpack (I have one) isn't practical on most occasions - I don't have enough lenses to fill a backpack, and I generally prefer to travel light.

Thank you in advance.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Looking for bag suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 16:03:02 »
I can recommend any of the Billingham bags that are of a size and style to fit your needs.  You can look at them at Billingham.com website.  Many styles, weatherproof due to fabric and design.  Opulent finish work.

They are expensive but they have proven themselves to be the best I've ever used.  I recently did a closet cleaning and took all my Domke, Think Tank and Lowepro bags to Goodwill.  I have four Billinghams that cover everything I'll ever need to do for the rest of my life.

If they are too expensive or you don't like the designs, I would recommend something from any of the other three makers I mentioned.  They are all very good bags.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 16:48:17 »
I was about to say, Domke! There might be one for grabs at a Goodwill. . . .  ;)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 17:34:51 »
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 21:04:57 »
A Domke bag.

Replace it when it is worn threadbare and items start to fall through :) (No, not a joke, practical experiences). That might take 30+ years, depending on how it is used.

ianwatson

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 01:25:50 »
I like Think Tank.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 16:20:23 »
A Domke bag.

Replace it when it is worn threadbare and items start to fall through :) (No, not a joke, practical experiences). That might take 30+ years, depending on how it is used.

This is good advice.  The Domkes are prone to abrasion wear where they rub against your body.  Not weather resistant either.  Those are the only things I disliked about them.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 19:33:34 »
I use a Domke F2 bag with a Caden insert for carrying a small kit. The insert allows laying the camera with lens, lcd, up with 1-2 lenses on each side.

It may help if you tell us how you carry and shoot. For instance, I generally use a backpack on the passenger seat of my car for quick access.
Many of the new bags being sold today do not work well with older school, heavy lenses and camera bodies. (I won't admit how many bags, or parts their of renting my closet space.)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 20:31:35 »
This is good advice.  The Domkes are prone to abrasion wear where they rub against your body.  Not weather resistant either.  Those are the only things I disliked about them.

The thick fabric weave can hold off quite a lot of rain, but admittedly it is not water tight -- what bags are? Not talking about Peli cases.

A Domke bag has done me double service as a sleeping pillow or knee protector on many occasions.

Greg L

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 02:41:24 »
Another vote for Billingham bags. I’ve had a Billingham “Hadley Pro” for 10 years and it still looks brand new.  I’ve put way too much equipment in it and it handles it in stride. Compact, rugged and beautiful travel bag.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 09:33:12 »
Have been using the think tank retrospective 10 for years had it customized with a central clip so the flap will not accidently open, put wax on the outside to protect from rain, the 10 is good for a small kit, body and 2 or 3 lenses plus accessoires, blower, batteries, cloth, personal items etc. There is also a  '20' which is much larger. For a bigger body like a D3s i carry a different bag. ;)

BongoBob76

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 21:35:28 »
Thank you all, I'll check your suggestions out, prioritizing those that are available locally.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2023, 19:21:22 »
Very happy with my Shimoda!! It is a backpack.

Vegebarian

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2023, 13:48:31 »
I really like my Think Tank Retrospective. I have the 30 V2 (one of the largest) but the Retrospectives are essentially the same bag in lots of different sizes. I think they're similar to canvas Domke bags but a bit more modern.

Water resistant with an included waterproof cover. Doesn't look too much like a camera bag, comfy strap, front pockets, water bottle holder, customisable dividers with just the right amount of padding. I can fit a my 14-24 f2.8g, 24-70 f2.8g and 70-200 f2.8g, D810, a flashgun and a few filters which is the most I'd ever want to carry on one shoulder. I often use it with far less inside though.

If I ever want to carry more or intend to walk a long way then I use a backpack. You're right that backpacks aren't always practical but sometimes it's the difference between getting to the shot and giving up because of back pain and fatigue.