Author Topic: A new Scottish get-together in Spring 2022  (Read 26102 times)

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
Re: A new Scottish get-together in Spring 2022
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2022, 13:06:29 »
Many thanks, Birna !

I am looking forward to meet up. :)
Francis Devrainne

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2022, 21:30:20 »
I do have an inquiry out with a friend of mine to join as well. Can´t promise anything though, he's not usually quick to join such endeavours. One can hope though  :D

Well ... he decided not to join. Too bad ...

Anyone else knows some candidates for joining?
Hans Cremers

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2022, 13:23:10 »
The very comprehensive Lodge Reference Manual has arrived. You find it attached as a PDF. Please post any questions here so we can work out solutions, if necessary.

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2022, 23:35:11 »
Time is flying - just 3 weeks to go - and major roadworks have just been annnounced for "M-class" (Motorway), roads in the Glasgow region. It's not clear yet exactly where and which roads are affecte, but it seems probable that everyone entering Scotland via Glasgow and possibly Edinburgh airports will be affected. At various times the M8, M80 and M90 have all been mentioned - all three would normally be very useful to us. The best thing for NG members might be to head for Stirling, a town in central/southern Scotland with good connections northwards via non-Motorway roads.

I suggest you keep an eye on the AA Roadwatch Scotland website which will carry the most recently available road/traffic information. Also do a Google-search - at least daily when the time is very close, - on "Glasow Airport to Glenelg by car" or, of course "Edinburgh airport . . . ".

And if you are heading north via Killin, just substitute Killin for Glenelg. Once you are here I know the roads from here to Glenelg very well and will be only too pleased to help.

I will be doing both the above and anything else I can think of, and will post anything helpful.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2022, 11:42:29 »
Time is flying - just 3 weeks to go - and major roadworks have just been annnounced for "M-class" (Motorway), roads in the Glasgow region. It's not clear yet exactly where and which roads are affecte, but it seems probable that everyone entering Scotland via Glasgow and possibly Edinburgh airports will be affected. At various times the M8, M80 and M90 have all been mentioned - all three would normally be very useful to us. The best thing for NG members might be to head for Stirling, a town in central/southern Scotland with good connections northwards via non-Motorway roads.

I suggest you keep an eye on the AA Roadwatch Scotland website which will carry the most recently available road/traffic information. Also do a Google-search - at least daily when the time is very close, - on "Glasow Airport to Glenelg by car" or, of course "Edinburgh airport . . . ".

And if you are heading north via Killin, just substitute Killin for Glenelg. Once you are here I know the roads from here to Glenelg very well and will be only too pleased to help.

I will be doing both the above and anything else I can think of, and will post anything helpful.

Dear Dave, we will somehow sort this out when I have managed to collect Birna in Edinburgh and got the car I paid in advance delivered for us and all three on the road to Killin.

These traffic interfaces calles "airports" often seem to be full of surprises ... sometimes everything goes smooth, sometimes you get a huge car although you explicitly ordered a small one.

Sometimes everyne arrives in time, sometimes delays.

As soon as I am on the road, the world is my friend!

I am looking forward to meeting you & Mayumi!

All the best of life

Frank
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2022, 10:57:04 »
Neither Long Covid nor a recent bad allergic reaction to Birch pollen will prevent me from going to Scotland. I'm looking forward to meet friends and fellow NG members and will try to have as good time as possible. There is also a hidden treat in a certain Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f/1.2 for my Z fc that UPS promised to deliver at Dave's in advance of our arrival there. To quote a celeb film actor, this will "make my day" :).

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2022, 19:29:48 »
Birna - I'm glad the Voightlander affair got sorted. If I had looked at my messages that day, none of the rest would have happened - sorry! They tend to be objects of desire, are usually very good optically, and have a slight air of exclusivity or rarity.

I once had a 150mm f4.5 which I used on 5x4". Excellent lens and quite rare but didn't project a very large image-circle on the film-plane - enough for 5.4" with some lens-movement, but not a lot.

I hope you got a "good" 35/f2.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2022, 01:29:55 »
In fact, it's even faster, f/1.2 :) and really nicely made to fit the looks of my Z fc. Just have a look below. The lens even has electronic communication with the Z cameras.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2022, 16:00:49 »
UPS reports the parcel is delivered. So now I know what is waiting for me in Killin :)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2022, 16:56:21 »
The combination looks amazing. Very curious about the results!

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2022, 17:20:22 »
UPS reports the parcel is delivered. So now I know what is waiting for me in Killin :)

Yes - it's here, undamaged, and very cute. I have been trying to send an attachment for the past 30-40  minutes but Gmail will NOT play ball.

See you on the 20th?
All the best,
D.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2022, 18:52:27 »
You,  Mayumi, Dochart House, Killin, and that little lens too :) Frank F is the designated driver to take us there.

I must admit that i got the lens primarily for its charms, secondly because a fast 35mm will fit perfectly between the 23/1.4 and 56/1.4 Viltrox lenses on my little Z fc. The Viltrox optics are really great performers given their modest price, but like most modern stuff rather down-to-earth in outer appearance.

Now, what about a future fast 85mm Voigtländer DX lens? f/1.4 will be nice but f/1.8 - f/2 is quite acceptable if it designed like that 35/1.2. The old Norwegian adage-- "there is hope in any dangling fish-bait"-- applies.

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2022, 11:32:54 »
Birna - just wondering - how is our list of participants coming along? Still just the 6 or so?

The landscape around Killin is looking particularly beautiful now. We had two months (March and April) of continuous cold, very dry weather, and a bitter n.e. wind, as a result of which all growth was suppressed. Last week, this pattern was suddenly reversed and we have had a week or more of warmer air, and daily showers of rain, some of them more than just a shower. ALl Killin's chlorophyll-dependent plant-life went crazy; growth was explosive, and the green colours - wonderful, beyond words - certainly the best I have ever seen.

What we DON'T want now is a few prematurely warm early-summer-type days which would dry out those fresh green beauties before the 20th. Inevitably the process of maturing will already have started, but I hope it will proceed rather slowly.

I'm sure all you hi-tech hombres wll have every possible navigation-aid and will not need me. However I said I would post some maps and driving routes, and I will keep my promise.

With best wishes,
Dave

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2022, 12:17:55 »
We are still just 5 men + me. That'll have to do and certainly is more than plenty of minds to create a spirited and adventurous meet-up :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2022, 12:58:27 »
Again, I'm not able to participate due to my family situation but am eagerly looking forward to seeing the images of this potentially much inspiring meetup!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira