Author Topic: A new Scottish get-together in Spring 2022  (Read 25512 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: A new Scottish get-together in Spring 2022
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2022, 21:51:39 »
Not yet, but the lodge owner will assemble an Introduction packet for us. So in due time we know these details.

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2022, 09:32:07 »
Thank you, Hans. And Birna - that is wonderful; thank you so much - I am delighted but not surprised; this is typical of you. I was beginning to panic a little - email software which was malfunctioning and unpredictable, and my own condition close to complete exhaustion.
Suddenly there is wonderful golden light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you again, Birna.

I believe the laundry situation is that the lodge provides everything except personal towels.

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2022, 10:04:24 »
Hello. No, I’m not part of the game; never been. Just gave some car rental info. Hope everything is OK. Take care.

I'm very sorry - mistaking interest for commitment - and feeling rather stupid - having made exactly the same mistake three times, with different NG members. I think I have been over-anxious since the very start because I suggested this project and felt that I had to be sure of its success.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2022, 10:18:12 »
This *will* be a success, I'm sure of that.

Now, the lodge is paid for, rental cars are in order, and air tickets booked.  Yes, there are always room for more people to join in, but we have the required robust foundation for this adventure. And most of us being adults (sort of) we promise to behave nice and not trash up the place so as to forfeit your £300 depost :)

Frank and I both are looking forward to meeting you and Mayumi in Killin on the way up to Glenelg.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2022, 21:39:10 »
This *will* be a success, I'm sure of that.

Now, the lodge is paid for, rental cars are in order, and air tickets booked.

Success --> most certainly

I do have an inquiry out with a friend of mine to join as well. Can´t promise anything though, he's not usually quick to join such endeavours. One can hope though  :D
Hans Cremers

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2022, 22:41:36 »
Thank you, Hans. And Birna - that is wonderful; thank you so much -

Dear Dave, thank you so much for initiating this!

I am very much looking forward to going.
Hans Cremers

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2022, 23:34:42 »
This *will* be a success, I'm sure oif that.

Now, the lodge is paid for, rental cars are in order, and air tickets booked.  Yes, there are always room for more people to join in, but we have the required robust foundation for this adventure. And most of us being adults (sort of) we promise to behave nice and not trash up the place so as to forfeit your £300 depost :)

Frank and I both are looking forward to meeting you and Mayumi in Killin on the way up to Glenelg.

The feeling is mutual - we also look forward to the 20th of next month. Of course, Scotland in spring can produce a few surprises - the attachment was shot this morning at 7.15am (according to the EXIF - who am I to argue?), and when I "walked the walk" ([pioneered the Cape Wrath Trail) back in the '90s, I had heavy snowfall (6" or 15cm) in the middle of May.
I hope a few more will join in, but - as you say - the formalities have all been attended to, and it only remains to actually make the journey.

Attachment - the Tarmachan Hills this morning, shot from our garden.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2022, 11:59:26 »
The feeling is mutual - we also look forward to the 20th of next month. Of course, Scotland in spring can produce a few surprises - the attachment was shot this morning at 7.15am (according to the EXIF - who am I to argue?), and when I "walked the walk" ([pioneered the Cape Wrath Trail) back in the '90s, I had heavy snowfall (6" or 15cm) in the middle of May.
I hope a few more will join in, but - as you say - the formalities have all been attended to, and it only remains to actually make the journey.

Attachment - the Tarmachan Hills this morning, shot from our garden.

Eehhh ... wow! What a view.

Thanks for the heads up, i'll make sure to pack for changeable weather  :) ... and for the midges as well  ;D
Hans Cremers

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2022, 10:05:43 »
Midges in May? I don't think there will be many- a few, yes, but not enough to be truly troublesome.

(June is worse than May, and peak season is July and August. From Sept onwards, there is likely to be overnight frosts, and te first one will kill all the midges.)

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2022, 21:45:57 »
Midges in May? I don't think there will be many- a few, yes, but not enough to be truly troublesome.

(June is worse than May, and peak season is July and August. From Sept onwards, there is likely to be overnight frosts, and te first one will kill all the midges.)

Thanks Dave!

Let's hope they don't know we'll be there at the end of May  ;D

I've been to Scotland once before (even though that indeed was in June/July) and i found out i don't care for those little b@stards  :o
Hans Cremers

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2022, 22:27:07 »
Birna: tell me what I owe you and the money will be at your paypal in an instant afterwards. Money is not my main concern in this case as you know. I desperately seek to see Dave and the others ASAP

What about Bez, Andrea, Mike Selby, the Austrians, the Simones? And what about our Danish and Serbian friends?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2022, 22:31:56 »
This *will* be a success, I'm sure oif that.

I think the rental car is paid for already
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2022, 00:01:07 »
Birna: tell me what I owe you and the money will be at your paypal in an instant afterwards. Money is not my main concern in this case as you know. I desperately seek to see Dave and the others ASAP

What about Bez, Andrea, Mike Selby, the Austrians, the Simones? And what about our Danish and Serbian friends?

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2022, 10:10:16 »
Hi Frank - I replied to you yesterday, quoting from what you had posted, but only the quotation appeared on the thread - the message I had added to the quote has never appeared. It was "I emailed Bez and MikeS as soon as this all got started, and I saw Simone yesterday (here in Killin)."
     Unfortunately I'm not able to force members to come to Glenelg, and my powers of persuasion were insufficient. But I hope they will join in, anyway. 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2022, 11:59:13 »
They certainly would be welcomed with open arms :)

As to the splitting of expenses, I prefer we keep a list of what costs are incurred and make the splits at the end of the meet-up. I just paid upfront for the lodge to ensure we had it at our disposal. No problem for me awaiting the final settlement.