Author Topic: A new Scottish get-together in Spring 2022  (Read 26830 times)

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: A new Scottish get-together in Spring 2022
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2022, 12:57:34 »
Bruno - thanks for asking, but there is no hurry. The amount we each pay depends directly on how many NG members actually come to the Glenelg lodge. At the moment we are just seven, and I am hoping that another three or so might join us.

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2022, 23:38:20 »

I thought it time to circulate a brief summary of our current situation in Scotland, to all present participants.

We have booked Larach Sithe (pron. Larah She-ah) Lodge in Glenelg for a week beginning 21/May/2022. This booking has been secured by the payment of a £300 deposit. It is returnable if no damages or other expenses for the owner are caused by us. The cost of the full weeks' rental is £1300 which is due for payment by mid-April. Costs per person - 12 sharing - £108; 10 - £130; 7 - £186.

At present we are just 6 or 7 participants; 9 or 10 would be better and 12 could be managed if a few were willing to room-share. Not bed-share.

All Scotland's 3 major airports handle international flights, but all three are some distance from Glenelg and a longish drive will be necessary to
reach our lodge, as follows -
Glasgow airport to Glenelg    - 170 miles,
Edinburgh                            - 185
Aberdeen                             - 177
All three drives take about 4 hours if speed-limits are obeyed.

I offered you a little hospitality at Dochart House, and I hope I can deliver on that, when the time comes.  My Parkinson's gets worse by the day, and the immediate result is that an ever bigger load falls on Mayumi. She already takes on almost the entire workload of looking after our big, old, 5-bedroom house and our 3.3-acre garden. Now she has to look after me - no small task in itself, which gets bigger as the Parkinson's gets worse. I can't expect her to be hostess to my photographer buddies every time I feel like issuing a few invites, like in the old (pre-Parks) days. She is by nature kind, generous and hospitable, but everyone has their limit and Mayumi has finally reached hers.
     I hope some of you might call in here, en route, and come and eat with us. I will be the chef, and under Mayumi's instruction!
     Long before then I will post the most sensible routes from all three major airports. Driving north from Glasgow or Edinburgh you can pass close to Killin without much of a diversion. But from Aberdeen there is no good route to Glenelg via Killin; a long detour is necessary.
     A lot will happen before May 21, but I look forward to seeing you then.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2022, 20:49:24 »
Dave, PLS give us an update of the list of participants.

Who would obey speed limits?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2022, 12:16:42 »
Frank
The list of those who have signed-on for the Scotland in spring event  is -
Myself (dgpno2),  Birna,  Hans,  Rosko,  Bruno + 1,  Frank F,  Hugh (8 incl. one new member of NG who is being introduced by Bruno).

- though I will not actually be going, and I am uncertain whether Birna will be there either. This brings us down to six. To have an enjoyable, varied, affordable week, 10 people would be a better number (in 2019, in Killin, we had 18). But the lodge-owner, sensing that all is not well, made an offer. Rather than hold out for the normal high-season rental of £1300, he will charge £130.00 per person, subject to a minimum of six members. In other words, if we only take 6 people to the lodge, we will pay 6 x £130 = £780. If we have more than 6, the rent increases by £130 for each additional person, up to  a max. of 10. So we would reach his normal rent of £1300 if we have ten or more participants, and if we have more than 10, the normal fixed charge of £1300 applies.   
    Please let me know when you have read this.?

I need to hand over the role of organiser to someone on the list who is fitter and more energetic (younger?) than me, and I suggest "the list" chooses my replacement - soon.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2022, 14:20:40 »
Birna *will* attend. My current Covid-19 illness cannot go on for ever.

I think the new offer from the lodge-owner is very acceptable.We should spring for that.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2022, 16:28:52 »
That 130 GBP per person is a very good offer if you ask me. Count me in!

Hans Cremers

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2022, 18:25:20 »
Like Birna and Hans, I think the offer from the lodge owner is very fair. This is the price of 2 nights in any 2 or 3  stars hotel.

Is a great opportunity to enjoy a stay in this fantastic country!

I keep interested.  As I already said, we have more than 2 months to get more NG members (or not) to change their mind and join.

Francis. :)
Francis Devrainne

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2022, 18:42:34 »
It is indeed a very fair offer. I’ll inform Karel, the potential additional participant.
Bruno Schröder

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2022, 23:51:08 »
This get-together has been more difficult than some - I'm not sure why - perhaps, the existence of covid, and the Ukraine war. But our number has been growing slowly towards the target of at least 10 members.

At present we have 8 - 6 definite and 2 possible. We also have a new offer from our landlord, who is a very decent guy. The rent for a week was fixed at £1300, but instead we will pay £130 person per week with a minimum of 6 members. 6 would pay a total of £780, 7 - £910, 8 - £1040 and so on until with 10 members the fixed original charge of £1300 is reached.
So far, three of us have seen this offer, and approved it. Plase let me now what you think about this; also what you think about anti-virus precautions. Have your say.
Best,
David

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2022, 08:55:23 »
This get-together has been more difficult than some - I'm not sure why - perhaps, the existence of covid, and the Ukraine war. But our number has been growing slowly towards the target of at least 10 members.

At present we have 8 - 6 definite and 2 possible. We also have a new offer from our landlord, who is a very decent guy. The rent for a week was fixed at £1300, but instead we will pay £130 person per week with a minimum of 6 members. 6 would pay a total of £780, 7 - £910, 8 - £1040 and so on until with 10 members the fixed original charge of £1300 is reached.
So far, three of us have seen this offer, and approved it. Plase let me now what you think about this; also what you think about anti-virus precautions. Have your say.
Best,
David

What about Bez, Mike Selby and Andrea B (Ultravioletta)? Did someone contact them directly? And what about the three folks from Vienna who came last time?

I am quite positive that most of these do not roam online here regularly (I do not too, because I am to busy with my work).

May I book my flight now and Car?

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2022, 21:12:10 »
May I book my flight now and Car?

About a car ... couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't we share a rental, perhaps a people carrier for this event? I'd be willing to share and also to be a driver.
Hans Cremers

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2022, 21:19:52 »
I plan to arrive in Edinburgh on  20 May, so I can drop by Dave in Killin later that day. Either stay the night there or on the road, so I can be at the lodge midday on the 21st.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2022, 21:54:28 »
also what you think about anti-virus precautions. Have your say.
Best,
David

Well, for health reason, I am not vaccinated. ::)
However, I got Covid few months ago, which means I am naturally  immune. Also, I get tested very often. before any meeting (family/friends).
I have of course, checked the updated Scottish rules before apply for this new event.
This is my say...

Francis.

Francis Devrainne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2022, 13:52:25 »
About a car ... couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't we share a rental, perhaps a people carrier for this event? I'd be willing to share and also to be a driver.

I would rather not like share nor drive a Bus like vehicle. I like a small car which seats 4 to 5 people max to be able to "spontaneouly follow the light".

My plan is to arrive at Glasgow at 20 Mai around midday, but I did not find the right flight yet, so I did not book the flight yet, so I am not sure if anyone will arrive at roughly the same time as myself and is able to share a car. I am positive that I will not spend hours waiting at the airport when I could be on my way to a Hotel in Killin to meet Dave for Dinner.

As David writes:

Glasgow airport to Glenelg    - 170 miles,
Edinburgh                            - 185
Aberdeen                             - 177

I am even not sure which of these three airports I might choose.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2022, 14:00:49 »
Plase let me now what you think about this; also what you think about anti-virus precautions. Have your say.

I am happy with the 130 Pond offer if you choose that way to deal with the situation

For Covid I guess it makes sense to bring a pile of self tests for the week (everyone for himself).

Although I am vaccinated three times I am not immune as any person of any vaccination status is not immune and can potentially distribute the virus.

If we are all clean as we arrive we will stay clean during the event I guess.

Simple rule: bring some tests do not carry the virus ;-)