Author Topic: A new Scottish get-together in Spring 2022  (Read 26067 times)

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
Re: A new Scottish get-together in Spring 2022
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2022, 18:47:44 »
Glad to see you join, Frank. I was starting to think you were trapped in a space-time crack.
Bruno Schröder

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2022, 00:37:23 »
Nice to meet you again, Frank! :)
Francis Devrainne

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2022, 00:45:10 »
Dave, I cannot open the last personal message you sent.

Probably due to poor connection I have here in France.

Will heading back UK around few days.

Francis.

Francis Devrainne

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2022, 10:32:40 »
Dave, I cannot open the last personal message you sent.

Probably due to poor connection I have here in France.

Will heading back UK around few days.

Francis.

Francis - I also have no record of what was in that PM - Gmail does the strangest things, and I often lose data or information.
I will try to deduce what I said in the PM
Dave

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2022, 10:45:14 »
Francis - there we have a perfect example of Gmail doing the wrong thing - "From" says the previous post came from you, but it didn't - it came from me as a reply to your post.

So far I can't find anything helpful concerning the PM you can't open, but just then a few posts/PMs had been mentioning Frank Fremery and his decision to join in the get-together

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2022, 18:01:18 »
No worries, Dave. :)
I am leaving Pyrénées area tomorrow afternoon, travelling from the South of France, to the North Normandy to get Dieppe ferryport before crossing the Channel.
So, no internet connection during this journey.
Francis.

Francis Devrainne

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2022, 22:38:41 »
I hope, though I can't be sure (Gmail!!!), that you got my last two PMs so I will repeat their message here,.

To be blunt, I am quite unwell, getting worse, and need a degree of personal help that I couldn't expect the NG team, on safari in the Highlands, to provide. Most of this new-scale problem is Parkinson's which usually describes a long, slow decline; but in fact, a few weeks ago, I became very much worse very quickly. I have the usual tremor and shuffley walk, plus a huge loss of strength, stamina and dexterity; I have bowel and bladder issues; am no longer permitted to drive, cannot walk more than a few dozen metres, or dress myself without help, can rarely swallow without choking, have muscle-cramps regularly in every major muscle-group in my body - there's more -  should I continue?
     I couldn't cope with a week in a highland lodge, so I will not be going. I will continue to make the arrangements, will make sure the deposit is paid on time, and give you and the others all the local knowledge I can muster, plus all information I have about the lodge, its owner and his agent.   Also I hope I can talk Mayumi into driving me up to Glenelg where I hope we might stay one night, driving home the next day. I will not be at the get-together, except in spirit. Long before our week in Glenelg I will post a short version of what I have just told you. It's not that my presence is needed, I'm being polite and keeping them informed of the basics.
     As a separate issue - Killin lies just off the route from Glasgow Airport to Glenelg, and just off a possible route from Edinburgh (though not the most direct, I must admit). We would welcome any of the group who cared to drop in for a visit, either on their way north or when returning.
     Last - the Highlands can look very fine at any time. This, from our front garden this morning -

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2022, 23:13:48 »
You took the words out of my mouth, Dave -- just told Ruth about your situation and said I would like to drop by on the way to "talk shop" and reminisce over earlier adventures.

Your spirit is strong and we can only extend our warmest regards and best hopes for any improvement however small.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2022, 06:27:45 »
David  +1, from myself and I am sure from all NG participants including not only those that have been involved with your highland get togethers but also from "bystanders" such as myself that look in on what you guys get up to and the resultant images.

Two of my uncles battled Parkinsons; both had acquired brain injuries as young men.  My thoughts are with you and your wife & family.

..................................................................................................

Your spirit is strong and we can only extend our warmest regards and best hopes for any improvement however small.
Hugh Gunn

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2022, 09:11:51 »
David. Sad to hear about your situation. Hope you will be able to visit the NG gathering.
Thank you for the effort you put into this arrangement.

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2022, 10:10:01 »
Thanks to everyone for your sympathy and good wishes. However I didn't intend for the state of my health to be broadcast like that.

Gmail does some strange things, and yesterday I sent a PM to Birna which turned up instead as a post on the main thread. I really didn't intend to subject the entire forum to a detailed account of my health and its problems. Sorry.
Dave

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2022, 11:11:40 »
Sorry.

No need to be sorry towards us Dave. I hope you can still enjoy the "small moments". Also, concurring with Birna, we might be able to stop by to (for me for the first time) say hi and thank you for your knowledge and efforts.

I look forward to meeting you very much!
Hans Cremers

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2022, 21:29:03 »
Thanks, Hans - I also look forward to meeting you and the others, and I am sad that my actual involvement in "Scotland Week #3" will be small.

I do hope a few of the members will call in as they head north (or south at the end of the week). But, looking more carefully at roadmaps, I see that a detour off the shortest route is necessary, coming from either of the main airports. I'll do a little more measuring and post my best guesses.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2022, 16:53:18 »
Back to the UK.

Dave, I read your last posts with sadness and the only thing I hope is to know you get better soon.

Hopefully we can enjoy your presence among us.

I know how difficult having physical issues : I got a stroke exactly one year ago. I was physically impaired followed few weeks later with covid, but certainly not affected as you are.

Take care of you, Dave.
Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2022, 19:42:23 »
Dave, what amount should we transfer you to cover the booking cost?
Bruno Schröder