Author Topic: Subject and object tracking on the Zee cameras  (Read 1484 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Subject and object tracking on the Zee cameras
« on: February 06, 2022, 13:32:10 »
After two years of ownership I discovered the “Subject tracking” feature on my Z6 when I was exploring the autofocus modes with the 40/2 a few months ago, until then the Z6 was mainly used with manual focus lenses or single point AF for stationary product shots.

When talking about this feature recently with a fellow NG member it turned out he also was not aware of this very useful autofocus mode so thought it was a good idea to start a topic about it in case more of us are unaware of this autofocus mode on the Z6, Z7, Z6II, Z7II, etc.

On the Z6/7 this option is only available when the “Auto-area AF” area is active, on the MkII models it should also work with “Wide-area AF (L)” AF area. When the option becomes available the OK and Exit icons appear on the screen and viewfinder. To activate it simply press the OK button, point the square box in centre of the screen at something the camera needs to track, press and hold the AF-ON/release button in AF-C mode and recompose when necessary.

To make switching between Auto-area/face/eye AF and object/subject tracking more fluid I use the Fn1 button to toggle between the two AF modes instead of trying to find the small OK button with my thumb while looking through the viewfinder. With this setup I can pretty much shoot anything without going in the menus.

Steve Mattheis has made small video of how the tracking mode works and how to set it up as described above:
the https://youtu.be/M9KFtf_xHYo
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Subject and object tracking on the Zee cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 18:05:26 »
It is not available in the wide area mode on the II's.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 13:12:54 »
Thank you for the heads up!
Erik Lund

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 13:51:35 »
This subject and object tracking was not available when the Z6 came out- it was added via firmware. Then I was already biased given the AF capability of the Z6 and completely ignored it, relying on the single-field AF I am experienced with. Maybe I should give it a try and compare it to the Z9 whose Subject/recognition i am very impressed of so far.
Wolfgang Rehm

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 15:07:35 »
After two years of ownership I discovered the “Subject tracking” feature on my Z6 when I was exploring the autofocus modes with the 40/2 a few months ago, until then the Z6 was mainly used with manual focus lenses or single point AF for stationary product shots.

When talking about this feature recently with a fellow NG member it turned out he also was not aware of this very useful autofocus mode so thought it was a good idea to start a topic about it in case more of us are unaware of this autofocus mode on the Z6, Z7, Z6II, Z7II, etc.

On the Z6/7 this option is only available when the “Auto-area AF” area is active, on the MkII models it should also work with “Wide-area AF (L)” AF area. When the option becomes available the OK and Exit icons appear on the screen and viewfinder. To activate it simply press the OK button, point the square box in centre of the screen at something the camera needs to track, press and hold the AF-ON/release button in AF-C mode and recompose when necessary.

To make switching between Auto-area/face/eye AF and object/subject tracking more fluid I use the Fn1 button to toggle between the two AF modes instead of trying to find the small OK button with my thumb while looking through the viewfinder. With this setup I can pretty much shoot anything without going in the menus.

Steve Mattheis has made small video of how the tracking mode works and how to set it up as described above:
the https://youtu.be/M9KFtf_xHYo

That's exactly my use (but of fn1 and people eye detection) Very convenient for stage. You can select your subject easily and many times relay on the auto face-eye detection. I´m using Z6 original.

chambeshi

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 09:17:10 »
The Z9 tracking running dogs of various coat colours is impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytnSjjQ8cU

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 12:47:35 »
Sirs,

autottracking by moving the forcus point is an admirable  camera skill which I am sure must have exercised the skills of Nikons programmers. 

BUT  since I use manual focussing, I would be grarteful if there was a simple and easily programmable  option to fix the focus point in the middle forever, instead of having it moving at random when handling the camera.

Yes, I resaøize that this  is a neo-luddite view from someone who prefers to select spot exposure and subject focus on his own rather than having the camera  confuse matters.

p.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 13:10:42 »
Sirs,

autottracking by moving the forcus point is an admirable  camera skill which I am sure must have exercised the skills of Nikons programmers. 

BUT  since I use manual focussing, I would be grarteful if there was a simple and easily programmable  option to fix the focus point in the middle forever, instead of having it moving at random when handling the camera.

Yes, I resaøize that this  is a neo-luddite view from someone who prefers to select spot exposure and subject focus on his own rather than having the camera  confuse matters.

p.

I think it is possible to change the function of the nub, so it no longer moves the focus point. (Which I agree, does seem to have a mind of its own.)

Try setting it to ‘none’.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 23:28:23 »
Even the Z9 does not have a mechanical lock of the AF- Field movements any more - but one can disable it in the menu. Need to look at the Z6 whether there is something similar
Wolfgang Rehm