Author Topic: Repair advice, misaligned autofocus  (Read 799 times)

Anders Lundmark

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Repair advice, misaligned autofocus
« on: January 20, 2022, 22:32:23 »
I have a d7200 that I noticed was consistently back focusing when using focus points to the right of the finder a few years back, say 30cm with a 24 at 2m or around 5-10cm with a 300 at 7m. I have used it mostly with focus/recompose since then, but my most used lens, a 17-55, stopped stopping down fast enough before Christmas and I thought I would have Nikon Sweden/Europe look at the body as well when sending the lens in.
I got a repair estimate of ~240EUR before taxes for the body and I would not mind paying that to get usable AF to the right, but the specification of the proposed repair is so brief that it is impossible for me to guess what would be done.
Proposed repairs are:
- Change covers
- Repair electronics
I called Nikon for some more information. The person I talked to did not know anything about the repair, but he could see what spare parts were expected to be needed. It was something of rubber that must be the body covers and a shutter plate unit. I get the impression that a shutter plate unit is for replacing the shutter. If so I do not understand what that has to do with aligning the focus system to the image sensor. I only have 15k exposures.

Is it possible to make an educated guess of the probability that I will get the camera back with better accuracy in non central focus points if I go ahead with the repair? I am a bit uncertain what accuracy can be expected from peripheral focus points, say the third column from the right in a 51 point AF system on dx.

Nikon could not see the sticky aperture on the 17-55/2.8, so looks like I%u2019m not getting that fixed, which makes things tricky since that lens is a major reason I am using a dx camera.

Thanks for any insights
Anders

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Repair advice, misaligned autofocus
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 10:37:07 »
Usually the focus points are a matter of calibration, no spare parts needed.It sounds like they have found something more wrong with the camera.
New rubber, well the rubber degrades with time, difficult not to damage when disassembling the body.
Check the aperture leaver on the mount against a working lens, see if it's bent out of shape or rubbing against the mount.
Erik Lund