Author Topic: Windows 10?  (Read 3369 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Windows 10?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2022, 06:03:16 »
Many thanks Birna - I am still feeling my way as I dip my toes into the Linux world.
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2022, 09:19:28 »
No need to be intimidated (at first...). Find a reliable Linux version (in Linuxese, these are named 'distros'), download and either make a bootable USB stick or burn to a bootable CD/DVD. It just works straight off the bat after you have given basic information about what language you want, what keyboard you have, and selected the drive on which to install. Do note that Linux can co-exist with Windows on the same machine but I won't recommend as the chance of Microsoft usurping the system during an upgrade cannot be disregarded. Thus, if there is any Windows remaining on the selected drive, ask the Linux installer to overwrite it.

There are literally hundreds of versions, but they group into families most of which are either 'RPM' or 'Debian'. Try Linux Mint for a very mild and trouble-free introduction to a Linux 'DEB' system, or jump straight into the later version of Ubuntu (which also is on the 'DEB' branch). Fedora (free) is one of the bigger players on the 'RPM' side, Red Hat is RPM-based but not free. However I decided to stick with Debian-variants from the onset.

If you do feel inclined to be experimental, have a look at CentOS which incidentally is a common backbone on WWW servers.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2022, 15:44:19 »
No need to be intimidated (at first...). Find a reliable Linux version (in Linuxese, these are named 'distros'

If you do feel inclined to be experimental, have a look at CentOS which incidentally is a common backbone on WWW servers.

CentOS is going away to be replaced with CentOS stream. I’d not recommend it at this time.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2022, 23:45:13 »
I just installed Ubuntu on my 16'' laptop.
- With Windows 10, the 12BG RAM was 2/3 filled and the hard drive would be used at 100% all the time, dragging down the performance;
- With Linux, the RAM is usually filled at 25% and the hard disk is pretty idle.
You can guess the consequences on responsiveness.

However I am still struggling to install Adobe Lightroom (classic), using Wine or similar. Does somebody have a detailed recipe?
Warning to self : if I do not find a workaround within a couple of weeks, I'll move over to Apple.
Airy Magnien

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2022, 01:43:36 »
Will Linux Darktable do what you want instead of Photoshop?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2022, 08:55:57 »
I used it yesterday and it is okay.

However I miss the Lightroom catalogue I have filled over a decade... that's why I still want Lightroom (rather than Photoshop).
Airy Magnien

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2022, 15:14:45 »
I am not a Lightroom user but I understand that Lightroom can generate "sidecar" files for images and these can be read by Darktable.

Might be worth an experiment!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2022, 15:21:54 »
Indeed. I read that too, minutes ago. However, not sure if 1) tags would get into the sidecar and 2) Darktable would be able to sort photos accordingly. Sure worth investigating.

In the meantime I have installed CrossOver (a packaged Wine) and this stuff allowed me to install and run Sparx Enterprise Architect, which has a lot of dependencies on Windows junk (JET engine, etc.). Enterprise Architect is a listed application in Crossover, and said to run well : this seems to be the case.

So now I am trying to install Lightroom classic, which is not listed. We'll see...
Airy Magnien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2022, 20:11:09 »
I recently read but can't find, warnings about installing Windows 10 and Linux on the same physical HD, i.e. not on different volumes on the same physical HD. I think I read this on a How-to-Geek page. The recommendation was to install two physical HD(s) and install Windows 10 on one and Linux on the second physical HD.

I'm just throwing this out as something to research.

Dave

---

Do note that Linux can co-exist with Windows on the same machine but I won't recommend as the chance of Microsoft usurping the system during an upgrade cannot be disregarded. Thus, if there is any Windows remaining on the selected drive, ask the Linux installer to overwrite it.

I sure wish I could remember specifics of the article I mention above but my take away was install two physical HD. Install Windows 10 on one and Linux on the second. Then use the boot menu supplied by the BIOS or EUFI to select which HD or SSD to boot from. I think my desktop allows me about 10 seconds to press F11 to choose the boot device to use. In a desktop I keep the OS on an SSD and Data on additional HD(s)

Dave

---

A note on Windows Laptops v. MacBook Pros. I recently was using an HP (Pro Book ?) which performed quite well with my software but the display was too dim for use outdoors in open shade even for web browsing. Also the color fidelity was poor and calibration was no help. By contrast I'm using a Mid 2011 MacBook pro as I type and the display is quite useable outdoors with good color.

If buying a MacBook Pro you can just buy it but when buying a Windows Laptop check out the display specs and characteristics carefully and expect to pay a lot more for a Windows Laptop with a better display.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!