Author Topic: Z7 focus still intractable  (Read 896 times)

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Z7 focus still intractable
« on: December 25, 2021, 11:36:33 »
particularly relevant at Christmastime when one uses lenses with very narrow depth of field (like the Planar 85/1,4)

The unruly focussing point of the Z7 keeps disappearing to the outer edge of the frame, which results  in sharp backgrounds and fuzzy motive until one discovers the unintended result of merely pulling the camera out of a bag and press the pesky button WHICH OUGHT TO HAVE A DISABLE OPTION.

Yes, slower and  more contemplative handling of the camera might solve this design fault, but I still hope for a firmware fix,

p.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Z7 focus still intractable
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 12:28:57 »
Hi, I’ve assigned “Subject tracking” to button Fn1 on my Z6, works brilliantly in AF-C focus mode.

When pressed the camera overrides the set AF mode and shows a centered focus point, press and hold the AF-ON button to activate subject tracking, recompose and shoot :)

It’s a quick hack to override the wide AF when it keeps wandering off, is focussing on the wrong subject, eye AF is active but you want to focus on something else, etc.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z7 focus still intractable
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 12:00:29 »
I am sure that the superfluous AI competence of the camera can manage, but with my Agnenieux, Kinoptik, Zeiss and Leitz manual optics I depend on my own brain rather than the cameras´ , so the fewer buttons that distract  , the better. Hence I maintain that Nikons buttonery remain deeply flawed and in need of firmware revision.

p.