Author Topic: MB-D17 problem  (Read 1067 times)

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
MB-D17 problem
« on: December 14, 2021, 18:46:22 »
I have the MB-D17 battery grip for my D500. In the battery info the MB-D17 is recognised, but although I have chosen the camera to use MB-D17 batteries first, MB-D17 is not highlighted in the battery info, and no battery status is shown even with a completely charged battery.

I tried the battery pack on another camera, where it worked as it should.

Could someone point to a solution? Dirty contacts?
Kim

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: MB-D17 problem
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 18:59:33 »
It could be a power circuit failure in the camera.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 03:43:53 »
Which battery pack is being used in the grip? I have on some occasions noticed that EN-EL15 variants might not seat properly in the holder and have problems making contact. Does the camera power on  at all without the main battery in the chamber?
Øivind Tøien

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 13:23:57 »
It seems to be the contacts in the camera itself. I tried to clean them with some contact cleaning liquid and had a temporary success. However, now it doesn't work again.

Does anyone have experience in how to clean the contacts?
Kim

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 21:36:01 »
It seems to be the contacts in the camera itself. I tried to clean them with some contact cleaning liquid and had a temporary success. However, now it doesn't work again.

Does anyone have experience in how to clean the contacts?

I would try cleaning all contacts again. I had an MD-12 that failed to work. I cleaned the contacts and it still didn't work. It was a fairly simple device and I asked a camera repairman friend to buy me a main circuit board. My friend said, "Did you clean the contacts." I said, "Yes, but I'll do it again." I scrubbed the contacts with methyl alcohol and cotton swabs. The second more thorough cleaning did the trick. My guess is there was lip balm on the MD-12 contacts, waxy, and although alcohol is not a proper solvent for wax the second cleaning did the trick. One can hope.  :)

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 23:04:31 »
For cleaning electrical contacts an eraser (viskelæder) can work.
Lighter fluid (rensebenzin) is also good. Or a mixture between lighter fluid and alcohol. 

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 23:33:47 »
I am concerned about using erasers on plated metal contacts. If the contact is brass underneath and a plating such as gold is removed the brass will corrode quickly and need frequent or even very frequent cleaning. In my experience the device can become quite unreliable.

I damaged the plating, bright, perhaps thin chrome on brass in a Vivitar 285 (early Japanese model). This was probably done by a alkaline battery that leaked. I cleaned the contacts but the plating was stripped. To successfully continue using my Vivitar 285 I placed a drop of solder (lead/tin) on the contact. The solder also corroded but by simply spinning the battery in place reliable contact was established. I did this every time I installed fresh batteries. I intended to try silver solder but by that time high trigger voltage speedlights were considered a danger to SLR(s). My Vivitar 283(s) and 285 all had trigger voltages above 256V as measured by a multi-meter. I bought a Nikon SB-16B and gave away the Vivitar 285.

If the contacts in a device are plated I would never use an eraser. If the contacts are solid stainless steel as pressed from stainless steel sheets a new eraser on a lead pencil may be quite convenient. I would never under any circumstances use a ink eraser.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!