Author Topic: Nikkor 800mm f6.3S VR PF announced  (Read 6049 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Re: Nikkor 800mm f6.3S VR PF announced
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2022, 11:09:19 »
The 500 PF is also significantly less expensive than one would have expected a conventional 500/5.6 to cost at such high MTF levels. It seems the number of elements that are needed for optical correction is reduced by using a PF element and this leads to shorter length, lower weight, and lower price.

Thats one important aspect. Strategical calculations in using this lens for gaining better market penetration in the mirrorless field might also be considered by Nikon
Wolfgang Rehm

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2022, 18:26:06 »
Does the US price include taxes or must they be added to arrive at the final price?

Sales tax is extra.  Tax rates vary by state and locality, averaging around 6-7% but with a large spread, and now apply to internet sales (based on the locality of the purchaser).  Fortunately, if you purchase at B&H and you have the B&H "Payboo" card (yes, it's a strange name) then you get a rebate equal to the sales tax.  B&H is big enough that they can afford to do this. I imagine they pay less per unit for many of their more popular cameras and lenses.

I'm tempted to get the 800P F myself but really I don't need it.  I've used a 400/2.8 on a D500 and gotten good results, and my 500 PF will give me even better reach with far more convenience and flexibility.  I can see the appeal, though, for wildlife photographers shooting small birds.  If only there were a Z equivalent to the D500, it would pair up fantastically with the 800 PF for that purpose.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2022, 22:37:15 »
This lens is indeed very tempting. And I agree that the circumstances will lead to high interest and longer waiting times (just as the Z9)
Regarding the D500 the best  replacement so far is the Z9 switched to DX except when it comes to size and weight
Wolfgang Rehm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2022, 06:53:28 »
Often, when the ultimate file size isn't required, I put one of my Viltrox DX lenses on the Z9. These small and light-weight lenses on the beefy Z9 makes for superb handling. AF is lightening fast as well.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2022, 15:54:27 »
Recently got my hand on a sample of the 800 mm f/6.3 PF. This made me realize that this lens does not display the focus distance, no distance scale there. It is the same with the new Z 400/2,8 TC which i also got my hands on. Strange as the shorter Z-line companions still do have this feature.
Wolfgang Rehm

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2022, 23:44:17 »
Recently got my hand on a sample of the 800 mm f/6.3 PF.

What were your impressions of using the lens Millirehm?
(Or were you not able to attach it to a camera?)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2022, 00:29:33 »
What were your impressions of using the lens Millirehm?
(Or were you not able to attach it to a camera?)
Well I had no opportunity to do a real field test- it was a presentation Nikon did at my dealers shop. So I had the opportunity to give it a short try there  inside the shop and do some outdoor shots standing at the door. And yes I did attach it to my Z9.
I had a good impression regarding the IQ of the few shots I did and from the way the lens focuses with the Z9 - with the restriction that I would not say that my experience is sufficient for really robust results.
it feels more plastic-like and more "cheap" than my Nikon F- superteles, but that goes hand in hand with its light weight
to my surprise it was a bit longer than I expected (expected it longer than the 200-500 but not that long), so it wont fit into my Lowe Flipside 400- would have to take the Flipside 500 instead.
The only downside I have detected so far is, that it lacks displaying a distance scale -as i already mentioned (it shares this "feature" with the top-expensive 400/2,8 TC
Wolfgang Rehm