Author Topic: Nikon's Z9 a game Changer.: A D1, than D3 'moment'  (Read 4681 times)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Re: Nikon's Z9 a game Changer.: A D1, than D3 'moment'
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 08:20:03 »
I keep a memento personal page with the salient specs of the flagship Nikon models, I recently updated the page with the Z9's features:

1999   D1      Original model, 2000x1312, 2,7 Mpix, ISO 200-1600 4,5 fps, 1/16000"                           
2001   D1H      FPS up to 5 fps                              
2001   D1X      Resolution upped to 3008x1960, 5,3 Mpix (still 1/16000")                           
2003   D2H      FPS upped to 8 fps, 4,1Mpix, 2464x1632 (shutter speed down to 1/8000")                        
2004   D2X       Resolution upped to 4288x2848, 12 Mpix, ISO max 800, 5 fps                              
2005   D2Hs   Added ISO Max 6400                              
2006   D2Xs   Added ISO Max 3200, High-speed Crop Mode                              
2007   D3      FX, 4256x2832, 12 Mpix, 9 fps, ISO MAX 25600                              
2008   D3X      6048x4032, 24 Mpix, ISO Max 6400, 5 fps                              
2009   D3s      4288x2848, 12 Mpix, ISO Max 102400, 9 fps                              
2012   D4      4928x3280, 16 Mpix, ISO Max 204800, 10 fps                              
2014   D4s      ISO Max 409600, 11 fps                              
2016   D5      5588x3712, 20,8 Mpix, ISO Max 3280000, 14 fps                              
2020   D6      EXPEED 6, improved AF, GPS included, added 900" in M mode                              
2021   Z9      EXPEED 7, 1/32000",  1/250" flash sync, stacked sensor, improved AF, 20-120 FPS, 8256x5504 (45.7Mpix), 8K video, infinite shutter life. Did I forget something?

I have mentioned a feature only when there is an improvement or feature addition over the previous model. GPS and 900" features were not included in the Z9's list, because they were already present in the D6. Z9 has a lower ISO MAX than the D6, but it can focus in almost total darkness (probably improved over the D6).

Naturally, improvement is a continuum, with quantum leaps at the D3 point (introduction of FX sensor, 25600 ISO) and Z9 (changing the game all over). The initial D1 leap (birth of pro digital camera in the Nikon world) should be accounted for.

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 09:52:39 »
I completely agree, the D1 and D3 where crucial and very big steps in the evolution of the DSLR!

Sure the Z9 is also worthy of that, but more on a technological achievement, not necessarily a huge difference for the 'normal' photographer shooting travel, streets, landscapes etc.
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 10:48:17 »
The biggest game changer imho is that there is now one pro body which can do everything without compromise.

Since the D1 there has been a High speed, high ISO but low res and low DR model for fast action and a slower Xtra resolution model for the high resolution, high DR at the cost of high ISO performance and fps. And since the D4 the latter wasn’t even available in a pro body but only in the D8xx or Z7 cameras.

With the Z9 we have high resolution, high ISO, high DR and insane frame rates in one pro body which is a first for Nikon and the competition.

This curve is the main reason why I wasn’t interested in any of the pro bodies after moving from the D3s to the D800E ages ago, below is the D6 compared to the Z7II which shows why the D6 is not suitable at all for landscape photography whereas the Z9 should be able to do both landscape and action.

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D300S,Nikon%20D700,Nikon%20Z%206,Nikon%20Z%207
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 13:27:50 »
The biggest game changer imho is that there is now one pro body which can do everything without compromise.

Or at least the compromises are smaller.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 15:22:20 »
Or at least the compromises are smaller.

Indeed, there are always compromises. In the days of film, the pro cameras were best at everything and thus justified the highest price. With Z9 this becomes true again and I think the Z9 will be quite popular.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 15:48:37 »
Exactly, working pro’s or prosumers whom need to cover multiple disciplines can do pretty much everything with very little compromises with one or two Z9 bodies instead of relying on two or more completely different cameras with different button layouts, different cards, batteries, chargers, remotes, etc.

Personally I would like to see a Z8 in a compact body so it shares the same accessories as my Z6 :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 17:05:29 »
Personally I would like to see a Z8 in a compact body so it shares the same accessories as my Z6 :)

I think the bigger body (still smaller than D6) is used as a heatsink to allow longer recording times, and to hold the larger battery also necessary for the longer recording times. A more compact form factor may have to dial back some of the video capabilities or maybe have some new body features (fins?) for heat dissipation.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 17:46:48 »
Exactly, working pro’s or prosumers whom need to cover multiple disciplines can do pretty much everything with very little compromises with one or two Z9 bodies instead of relying on two or more completely different cameras with different button layouts, different cards, batteries, chargers, remotes, etc.

Metoo ;)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 18:34:38 »
I think the bigger body (still smaller than D6) is used as a heatsink to allow longer recording times, and to hold the larger battery also necessary for the longer recording times. A more compact form factor may have to dial back some of the video capabilities or maybe have some new body features (fins?) for heat dissipation.
Sure, but a big part of the D3 moment for Nikon was that 95% of the game changing technology also trickled down into the smaller and more affordable D700 which brought in the bulk of the revenue to cover the R&D cost of their first high ISO FX sensor, faster AF, etc.

With the aggressive pricing of the Z9 and limited pro(sumer) market its highly likely that Nikon will introduce a smaller “Z8” sibling to cover the multi year investment of the new sensor, xspeed engine, af, etc. I think that most of us can do just fine with 95% of the Z9 performance :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 19:07:23 »
Sure, but a big part of the D3 moment for Nikon was that 95% of the game changing technology also trickled down into the smaller and more affordable D700 which brought in the bulk of the revenue to cover the R&D cost of their first high ISO FX sensor, faster AF, etc.

With the aggressive pricing of the Z9 and limited pro(sumer) market its highly likely that Nikon will introduce a smaller “Z8” sibling to cover the multi year investment of the new sensor, xspeed engine, af, etc. I think that most of us can do just fine with 95% of the Z9 performance :)

I do not disagree. I'm certain that the AF and lack of shutter will spread throughout the line over time. Removing the shutter reduces weight, cost, complexity and noise. It should improve reliability. Best in class AF (or even matching competitors) will help sell cameras.

I think the Z9 will be a big hit, so it will be a hard decision about when to release follow-on cameras. Will they be bold enough to provide the best possible features aggressively from top to bottom and push aside competitors, or ration them to protect their own internal flagship sales? I'm hoping the former.

ericbowles

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 20:40:52 »

Mark Cruz from Nikon Canada states that the decision to have a full size body with integrated grip allowed them to increase the role of the body as a heat sink.  That feature was important in the ability to have 8k video for two hours - and is unique compared to smaller bodies.  It was around the 8 minute mark in this roundtable discussion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF6HxMtinu8

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 21:51:57 »
My two cents is the Nikon D1 was a true game changer being the first truly practical DSLR and it was priced such that demigods could buy one even if mortals could not.

The Nikon D3 was not the first full frame DSLR, only the first full frame Nikon DSLR. As such the Nikon D3 was an important step for Nikon shooters. The D3 and also the D300 brought a very welcome improvement in dynamic range. The D1 and D2 series cameras were sorely lacking in dynamic range compared to B&W and color negative film. It's only with the D800 series cameras including the D850 (as well as the Nikon Z7 series cameras) that we see dynamic range comparable to B&W negative film. Dynamic range comparable to color negative film is still in the future.

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D1,Nikon%20D3,Nikon%20D300S,Nikon%20D800E,Nikon%20Z%207II

I believe the Nikon Z9 is a game changer as it's the first interchangeable lens mirrorless camera in a 35mm form factor that is without a mechanical shutter. It's a game changer as it brings together in one camera much of what one could have in a D850/Z7 II and a D6 but could not have in one camera. Also the auto focus looks to be a major step forward such that a Z9 will be required for competitive reasons for Nikon professional photographers.

I hope Nikon has a good run with the Nikon Z9. I hope that there will be a little sister to the Z9 in the form of a Nikon Z8 or Z7 III by whatever name Nikon uses. I hope Canon and Sony will not be too quick to equal or surpass the Z9. Time will tell.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 22:52:26 »
The D3 and also the D300 brought a very welcome improvement in dynamic range.
And high ISO performance. The D3S pushed this even further. I think these were "game-changing" improvements from this generation of cameras.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 00:22:06 »

I believe the Nikon Z9 is a game changer as it's the first interchangeable lens mirrorless camera in a 35mm form factor that is without a mechanical shutter. It's a game changer as it brings together in one camera much of what one could have in a D850/Z7 II and a D6 but could not have in one camera. Also the auto focus looks to be a major step forward such that a Z9 will be required for competitive reasons for Nikon professional photographers.

Dave

Not to mention video...