Author Topic: Z9 Release Thread  (Read 53471 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Z9 Release Thread
« Reply #435 on: January 20, 2023, 10:10:29 »
More or less the same principle Nikon applies to all their 'pro' cameras. And ditto lenses. Better to make something small and replaceable to yield than destroy the entire camera (or lens).

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #436 on: March 01, 2023, 13:06:36 »
Firmware version 3.10  has been released:

Info and download:    https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/486.html

Added support for NIKKOR Z 85 mm f/1.2 S lenses.
• Improved focus accuracy for low-contrast subjects during burst photography with [Wide-area AF (S)], [Wide-area AF (L)], [Wide-area AF (C1)], [Wide-area AF (C2)], [3D-tracking], or [Auto-area AF] selected for [AF-area mode].
• Improved the frame advance rate during burst photography with optional flash units.
• Fixed the following issues:

- The [Retouch] > [Trim] item in the playback “i” menu would in rare cases create distorted copies or not permit selection of the desired crop.
    - Copies created by blending a large number of pictures together using the [Retouch] > [Lighten] item in the playback “i” menu would sometimes exhibit a green color cast.
    - Rating pictures during playback zoom would in some instances temporarily corrupt the display.
    - In extremely rare cases, the camera would stop responding.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #437 on: March 13, 2023, 13:47:55 »
I have to say a few words about my experience with the Z9. As a close-up and macro photographer, for a number of months the Z9 just sat on the shelf and looked nice, and it felt big and bulky. When it came time to take photographs, I found myself reaching for the Nikon Z7 II every time. Of course, I tested out the z9, ran around the house taking photos, but back on the shelf it went. Glad to have it, but as to using it, not so much.

Then I heard that my daughter May Erlewine, who is getting quite well known and much-loved as a singer/songwriter was doing an album-release show in Grand Rapids, Michigan only about 50 miles from where we live in little Big Rapids, Michigan. I have not seen May live for three years, ever since Covid weighed-in, because I could not be in a crowd without masks and so on, due to health concerns and my age. This was a special tour, and May had flown in the original session musicians, one of them from England.

Anyway, I had to see May at the Wealthy Theater in Grand Rapids, Michigan for he album release of “The Real Thing,” her latest collection of tunes. And for this my Nikon Z7II was not going to cut it. I had to use the Z9, and on a gimbal at that, along with my Nikkor Z 70-200 S and the 1.4 teleconverter.

Most was done AF-C, 3D, and wide-area AF box.

We ended up fighting a snowstorm, but only on the way back from the gig. And why I write is become I can’t get over how well the Z9 worked in the concert environment. All May’s tour dates are sold out, so I am talking about a large crowd. And I was wearing a mask with a small fan-driven HEPA filter attached to it the whole time.

I took some 800 photos, used only half a battery (although I took three), and aside from some testing out photos, there was not a bad photo in the lot. Sure, there are ones that are my fault for not being quicker, but the Z9 nailed all of them. Never seen that before.

I was thinking of perhaps selling the Z9 for lack of use, but after this performance, no way that will happen. This is one incredible camera and while not for close-up and landscape photographers perhaps, there is no reason why not, other than the bulk and weight.

Here are a few shots. Not claiming them as great, just saying they are good enough to look at. 

As for the music, here is an album link so you can hear some of the tunes.

https://www.amazon.com/music/player/albums/B0BTMYKBS9

I am struck by the song “The Truth on My Side” and its line:

“I see the beauty in your lies, but I want to live with the truth on my side.”

Anyway, I am now a fan of the Z9 and have to get deeper into what it can do.

And as mentioned, here are a few shots with the Z Nikkor 70-200 S lens and some with the 1.4x teleconverter, which turns out to be a gem.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #438 on: March 16, 2023, 08:14:04 »
I'm not sure if this has been discussed but I wonder which flashes people have been using with the Z9, and what has been your experience.

I have SB-5000's and an Elinchrom system for my larger flash needs. I read some comments that people have had problems triggering Elinchroms with the Z9, and Elinchrom now notes on their website (regarding the Skyport Transmitter Pro):

"Like other flash brands, several users have reported sync issues using the Z9. We are currently investigating these problems." The page has been last updated on 23.02.2023.

Profoto say that their flashes are fully compatible with the Z9, I guess this is because Nikon gave them inside information about the protocol. While I like Profoto, it's inconceivable that I would trade my Elinchroms to Profoto because of cost and also because I like the bare-bulb illumination profile. I wonder what sort of issue there is with triggering the Elincrhoms and if it is something Nikon or Elinchrom will be able to fix with a firmware update. I have enough cameras that have mechanical shutters that work perfectly with the Elinchroms and in a studio environment there would not be a problem in continuing to use the older cameras but I would expect that if I buy the Z9 I would want to use it with my Elinchroms in some situations (such as at weddings).

If you've use the Z9 with non-Nikon flashes (especially units with 125-500 Ws), could you comment on the functioning and reliability of triggering? My Elinchroms are ELC500 and Quadra Hybrids with action and speed heads.  I normally use the Skyport Transmitter Pro Nikon version.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #439 on: June 15, 2023, 22:19:08 »
A few of you may be interested in this

Free Firmware V 4.00 Upgrade Offers New Smart Auto Capture Function, Video Enhancements, Shutter Sound Customization and More

Auto Capture
  • Users can set the camera to automatically record still images or video by pre-configuring Auto Capture criteria. The three criteria that can be configured include a [Motion] option that detects subjects that make certain movements, a [Distance] option which begins shooting when a subject is within a certain range of distances,2 and a [Subject detection] option which detects a person, animal or vehicle within the frame. These options can be used either separately or together to automatically trigger shooting when the selected criteria are met.
  • This feature allows the user to shoot remotely and without having to manually determine the timing of shooting/recording, enabling more freedom to perform other tasks, or to leave their camera outside in places they cannot remain for extended periods of time, such as when recording wild animals.
  • When using more than one Z 9, one camera can be used for hand-held shooting as the user moves from place to place, with the other cameras can be set up for automatic shooting from tripods at fixed locations. Auto Capture also enables shooting from multiple angles without using the extension cords previously required to control multiple cameras, eliminating worries about connections during remote shooting. This feature can also be used with the Pre-Release Capture function for more reliable capture of decisive moments

Nikon's spiel

https://youtu.be/q6hUQZZHPWw

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #440 on: June 16, 2023, 08:06:21 »
Thanks for the message Colin,

Great update again,

A quick check:

• Auto capture (possible now to use the z9 as a surveillance camera)   ;)
  • The addition to enter the lens name with the Non-CPU lensdata is very usefull.  (in the setup menu)
  • Extra sounds for the shutter - for instance  Type D  is a Rangefinder sound, Type B a DSRL and Type C a film camera

-  Numeric display for focus distance on the camera or compatible lenses.    Should be interesting too. 

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #441 on: June 16, 2023, 10:18:52 »
My almost new Z9, after using with flash-SB-700, in "M" mode doesn't open the aperture, in other set-up-A, S, P is everything OK. It happens with all my lenses...

Any idea what the problem??

Thanx,

And
Andrew Iwanowski

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #442 on: June 16, 2023, 11:55:28 »
My almost new Z9, after using with flash-SB-700, in "M" mode doesn't open the aperture, in other set-up-A, S, P is everything OK. It happens with all my lenses...

Any idea what the problem??

Thanx,

And

Hmm.  Can you do a reset to factory settings?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #443 on: June 16, 2023, 15:10:56 »
The additional features of the non-CPU lens menu were *long* overdue. Finally Nikon realised people use non-Nikkor optics too :)

Competing brands, names not mentioned, have had similar options for ages.

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #444 on: June 16, 2023, 17:16:39 »
I did a safe setting to the card and reset... Nothing...

Nikon Warsaw promised to phone back... Girl-answering phone in the serwis couldn't help....

Will see, anyway I have to be in Warsaw at Monday.
Andrew Iwanowski

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #445 on: September 24, 2023, 00:31:42 »

Great update again,

A quick check:

• Auto capture (possible now to use the z9 as a surveillance camera)   ;)
  • The addition to enter the lens name with the Non-CPU lensdata is very usefull.  (in the setup menu)
  • Extra sounds for the shutter - for instance  Type D  is a Rangefinder sound, Type B a DSRL and Type C a film camera

-  Numeric display for focus distance on the camera or compatible lenses.    Should be interesting too.

Did install the update but did not get all the details
the extended Non-CPU menu is great. I can name the lens and I can enter the correct focal length (10 mm OP Fisheye, 125 mm Apo Lanthar - so far i had do chose 8 /135mm
Numerical display of focus distance - have to check that tomorrow badly missing as many Z lenses have got a display but long lenses like the 800/6,3 don't !!!
Wolfgang Rehm

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #446 on: October 08, 2023, 10:11:37 »
Nikon Z9 firmware version 4.10

New dedicated [Birds] and [Airplanes] subject detection options have been added. The [Birds] option increases overall detection performance for birds. In addition to increased detection and AF performance with complicated and high-contrast backgrounds such as forests and rocky mountains, this option adds the ability to quickly detect birds in various states, including flying, perched, and even those with unique-looking appearances. According to Nikon, tracking performance when following rapidly moving birds has been increased for a smoother shooting experience. The [Airplanes] option is the same option that is found in the Z8 and it enables reliable detection of airplanes regardless of their size. This option offers increased detection capabilities with dark scenes and those that include busy backgrounds.

Link Firmware update:  https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/505.html

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #447 on: October 08, 2023, 10:29:36 »
Installed 4.10. (still consider subject detection as not sufficiently reliable for use in all kind of situation - no chance of properly testing the new Bird option so far. I am very satisfied with some of the changes in 4.01
Wolfgang Rehm

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #448 on: October 10, 2023, 08:11:56 »
My dealer let me pick the "best" serial number which as a nod to my friend Paco ended in 13 (!)
:D
-/-/-

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #449 on: November 14, 2023, 17:56:28 »
Recently I made an interesting discovery with myZ9 which is now at Firmware 4.10. I did not track which Firmware Update brought this but compared to version 1 when I bought it, the Configurability of the buttons has greatly increased

Now (like with the D6) the top left buttons can be configured (and so I can replace the BKT function with the selection of the exposure measurement method)

And I had some trouble with the Fn4 button being placed where usually the review image button is. I could assign it here but I had no opportunity to swap functions and program the review button to do what I wanted to have for FN4. Now it is possible to have one funcion for shooting and have the protection against deleting images in review mode there as well.
Wolfgang Rehm