Author Topic: Z9 Release Thread  (Read 54765 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Z9 Release Thread
« Reply #405 on: March 25, 2022, 16:37:59 »
Join us in Scotland in May -- there will be at least 1 Z9 for you to try out there :)

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #406 on: March 30, 2022, 21:22:30 »
If you have an L bracket for the older DSLRs such as D3, adapting it to Z9 is a matter of minutes using a Dremel. The battery compartment lid won't fit unless some metal is cut away. Recirculating stuff is the sustainable approach. Or we could try building a tower of old, no longer used brackets?

Repurposing older, obsolete, and otherwise underutilized or unused gear, is the mother of invention. And I'm just masochistic enough to say, I find the whole enterprise fun. That said, it occurred to me years ago that here was a bonanza of discarded RSS plates, and the like, available for a song on the used market, fairly begging for a Dremel-job. (Hmm? Sounds dirty.) Indeed, a flat-file and some sandpaper will often suffice when more comprehensive milling, boring, and hole drilling isn't called for. As for the rest: In lieu of a "tower", I suppose an installation at the Tate Modern or MoMA isn't entirely out of the question.  ::)

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #407 on: March 30, 2022, 21:26:32 »
More important than a few "errors" in capitalisation of items in the menus is the sometimes wildly inaccurate GPS record. The position can be off by several km and the altitude by literally thousands of m.

Strangely, this is an issue the detailed reviews don't mention at all?

Agreed! Also, keep it in mind, many reviewers and similar authorities are paid-by-the-word.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #408 on: April 03, 2022, 12:58:30 »
Morning Sun
Z9 58G
Love it. The use of bokeh, the bright background, expression always spot on...

Do you see difference in the way the z9 handles the af: speed, precision, etc...on everyday use?

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #409 on: April 03, 2022, 13:10:59 »
The Z9's AF is a lot faster and more important, more reliable.  It finds my black cat's eye in backlight in a split second, with AF-C, 3D tracking area mode and the Auto AF subject detection.

This also applies to all the subjects moving into the image area. It tracks down what you want to have.

Here an image of the black cat, In reality (visual light) her eyes were hardly visible.

Z9 Nikkor AF-S 28/1.4 E

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #410 on: April 03, 2022, 13:47:05 »
Thanks John, I was afraid so... ;D

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #411 on: April 03, 2022, 18:42:07 »
Thanks John, I was afraid so... ;D
:) 

Another feature that is important,  no problems any more with a fast lens, wide open in the sun.

Sell some other Nikon camera's for this one, it is worth it ;)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #412 on: April 03, 2022, 18:50:24 »
It's just a matter of time, Paco. Inevitable.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #413 on: April 03, 2022, 22:16:48 »
Here an image of the black cat....

Of course, the ultimate test of the Z9's AF would be an image of the legendary "black cat in a coal cellar" John.

(OK, so no one has a coal cellar any more ....  :'( )

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #414 on: April 04, 2022, 07:43:55 »
.. which begs the obvious follow-up question: what does the cat do in the coal cellar :)

Jokes aside, the Z9 has really amazing AF capabilities. For once I trust the camera to provide me the focus I require.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #415 on: April 14, 2022, 12:39:02 »
Z9 Firmware 2.0 announced and ready for download on April 20.
It includes the promised new video formats including NRaw which is supposed to give 50% file size reduction, changes to available displays, improved AF, exposure control, and other misc things. On the stills side new user defined Wide AF areas are available such as thin horizontal or vertical zones. Viewfinder refresh is updated to 120hz. Options for pre-shutter release capture are available too. The rest are fixes to controls and behaviors.

Video and description is here: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/mirrorless-cameras/firmware-updates/z-9-firmware-2-point-0.page?utm_source=WWA&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=wwa-z9-firmware-en_US-4-13-2022&utm_content=btn&utm_term=FindOutMore&ET_CID=4193299&ET_RID=352324695&SC_ID=0032400000mI4YVAA0

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #416 on: April 14, 2022, 13:43:11 »
I would be pleased, if Nikon announces Firmware-Upgrades that are already downloadable.
This looks like a significant update but there appears to be still some work for Nikon left
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #417 on: April 14, 2022, 14:00:24 »
I would be pleased, if Nikon announces Firmware-Upgrades that are already downloadable.
This looks like a significant update but there appears to be still some work for Nikon left

They have to generate buzz about it, otherwise it becomes old hat and no one gives credit for it. ;-)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #418 on: April 14, 2022, 14:03:13 »
They have to generate buzz about it, otherwise it becomes old hat and no one gives credit for it. ;-)

We are talking about a few days. I can wait for that, but am not so happy about waiting who knows how long for my copy of the Z9. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #419 on: April 15, 2022, 00:06:58 »

I understand the mechanism, but i dont like it

Its not that I cant wait for this update. Fortunately I got my copy of the Z9 already.
Wolfgang Rehm