Author Topic: Z9 Release Thread  (Read 54703 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z9 Release Thread
« Reply #330 on: February 02, 2022, 11:37:17 »
I don't have a crystal ball into the mind of the designers but I believe the designers simply did not intend the Z6 for photographing fast action as it lacks the AF performance so they didn't put in user interface features for this type of photography, either. If Nikon had put in the UI features but not the performance, it would still have led to disappointment (while better results could be obtained in the meanwhile using DSLRs.) Nikon's original intention was to target Z and F product lines to take advantage of the respective advantages of each technology so this is how they did it. Features guide the selection to appropriate applications of each product.

The Z9 does have the required performance and has most of the UI features needed as well. I am sure they'll further improve the UI feature and customisation options over time, as they have for the D5 and D6.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2022, 18:52:57 »
Awesome pics and slowmo birding footage from Mark Smith with the Z9 and 500PF:
https://youtu.be/Fr6GinQFZsI

The images look very sharp and detailed, very impressive how much detail that combination can capture during fast BIF action.

Mark is a former Nikon shooter and has been using several Sony models in the last few years with a 200-600mm and 600/4GM but kept his 500/4VR and 200-500VR which he will also test in later videos.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #332 on: February 03, 2022, 03:16:34 »
Pictures from the Nikon Service Center at the Beijing Olympic Games
https://twitter.com/tsuyo428/status/1488739198119006208?s=20&t=243gzpfw4awUgQtYPfbk2w

Nice lineup of Z9  :D
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #333 on: February 03, 2022, 03:49:32 »
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #334 on: February 05, 2022, 16:20:11 »
First charge of Z9 battery occurred after just 250 frames. The battery went quickly down from  ~25% to near zero. I'm not very impressed, however such a figure was not entirely unexpected.

Having touch control is a blade that cuts two ways. I accidentally deleted files by a less well placed finger tip :( Now have the feature turned off -- for good.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #335 on: February 05, 2022, 17:44:22 »
First charge of Z9 battery occurred after just 250 frames. The battery went quickly down from  ~25% to near zero. I'm not very impressed, however such a figure was not entirely unexpected.

Having touch control is a blade that cuts two ways. I accidentally deleted files by a less well placed finger tip :( Now have the feature turned off -- for good.

I shot about 250 frames yesterday afternoon over about two hours. Battery indicator still shows nearly full. But I did not do much image review. Just shot and checked focus/framing occasionally.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #336 on: February 05, 2022, 19:25:56 »
I always get much lower number of frames than other people report, with any digital camera apparently. The remedy is always the same, bring extra batteries.

In terms of sheer numbers per charge, my Df bodies win hands down.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #337 on: February 05, 2022, 23:06:54 »
I cant provide detailed calculations but I got significantly more shots thatn 250 so far. I was mainly relying on the viewfinder rarely using the display and doing a lot of burst series and some videos. Over long years i used to have at least one extra battery in the bag, with the D500, D850, Z6 this habit to two - same with Z9 but I havent changed a lot, wasnt too excessive using time either.

Had 380 shots in my last session and the battery is still at 80%

I am not using touch control. For those who do - the Z9 offers a special glove mode
Wolfgang Rehm

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #338 on: February 05, 2022, 23:47:10 »
BTW I got my FTZII adapter last week. It gives more space when using the grip in portrait mode, but I had no problem to adapt when using the FTZI. The first version has got a gread advantage, as these adapters sit very tight the tripod socket of the  FTZI makes this first version easier to grip and handle for me.
Wolfgang Rehm

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #339 on: February 12, 2022, 08:42:46 »
I finally ordered the Z9, but probably won't see one for who knows how long. If any come up as available, please let me know.
Mine is on order too. Another shipment of Z9's will be in Europe in  two weeks as I am told by a Nikon Sales rep. Probably there will be an US shipment as well. Not sure the shipment is large enough for the outstanding orders.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #340 on: February 12, 2022, 10:26:19 »
Congrats, you need one when you are a professional photojournalist ;)

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #341 on: February 12, 2022, 20:53:58 »
Mine is on order too. Another shipment of Z9's will be in Europe in  two weeks as I am told by a Nikon Sales rep. Probably there will be an US shipment as well. Not sure the shipment is large enough for the outstanding orders.
FYI - the FTZ II is already in stock at the big box retailers here in the US
Another Austrian Terminator in California

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #342 on: February 13, 2022, 11:02:10 »
Thanks for the update Wally.  The FTZ II is on stock here too.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2022, 12:45:55 »
Got the FTZ-II without delay here in Norway as well.

For some F-mount lenses, the Z9 handles better with the Mk.2 FTZ, an example being the 300PF. Otherwise it is largely a cosmetic change although truth to be told, the F Nikkors frequently look sleeker and more in line with the Z cameras when they are hooked up via the new adapter. My Noct-Nikkors definitively gave that impression on the z9.

For my studio macro and close-up work, the old FTZ is better suited though, as its tripod mount confers better weight distribution for lenses such as Laowa 25mm f/2.8, Olympus OM 38mm f/2.8, or the various 55-60mm Micro-Nikkors. I have no plans for "updating" my existing 4*FTZ.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #344 on: February 13, 2022, 23:07:07 »
I got two FTZ so far and one FTZ-II. For now that is sufficient and I do not plan to replace the two first version. Recently aquired the Markins L-Plate for FTZ and- as expected the adapter not mount on the Z9 when equipped with this bracket.
Wolfgang Rehm