Author Topic: Z9 Release Thread  (Read 54710 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Z9 Release Thread
« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2022, 16:48:23 »
I finally ordered the Z9, but probably won't see one for who knows how long. If any come up as available, please let me know.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2022, 22:57:01 »
This would be useful to get on other cameras as well. On the D6 you can move the release mode from the dial to a button on the lower back panel (multiple frame icon) but pressing this button and using a dial to select the mode is still very slow. If one could move it completely to the right hand side, or assign it to recall shooting functions would be very useful. It's just software as demonstrated by the fact that there are already two options on how to access this setting (but neither is convenient if the left hand is supporting the lens). I sent a request for this to Nikon but they seemed to think it's a good way to get me to buy the Z9 rather than give it as a firmware update on my current cameras. ;-)

I fully agree that recall shooting options should be extended on the D6 and dispersed to other Cameras. I have bought the Z9 already so NIkon does not need to get me there - nevertheless I want to continue the use of other cameras. D6s multiple frame icon on the pack appears to be a legacy of the first Z series. Z9 has this solved better - there is everyhting on the dialling wheel. Z6 only offers release mode on this misplaced button on the right bottom of its backside. If it was the idea to make it fast accessible with one hand then this failed. Worse if you press the button you do have to dial the back wheel to change settings, not the front wheel and you cant change that. No place in the menu (thus not in individual menu as well), no option to access it with a function button, no way to set it by using the misconcepted U1-U3 dials. (just info -menu) That could be saved by firmware update. I am happy with the Z9 but i want a second set of recall shooting options back and a direct way to  assign spot-metering to a butten and not
Info-Menu is not too attractive for me - may it be release mode or metering mode, it is slow, and Individual menu would do that If i could assign anything there.
There is a significant number of things getting worse, features that have proven valuable and but disappeared and could/should be easily restored  in the newer cameras.
And it would be advantageous to get updates for older cameras as well. Z6, D850, D500 were made capable of using CF-Express cards, D4s would deserve that as well, then one could skip XQD cards completely and standardize the card types use.

P..S. Yes I also think that designing an Adapter that supports screwdriver -AF is a complex undertaking. I trust that Nikon could solve that without issues  if they wanred to.
Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2022, 23:48:10 »
I am happy with the Z9 but i want a second set of recall shooting options back and a direct way to  assign spot-metering to a butten and not
Info-Menu is not too attractive for me - may it be release mode or metering mode, it is slow, and Individual menu would do that If i could assign anything there.
There is a significant number of things getting worse, features that have proven valuable and but disappeared and could/should be easily restored  in the newer cameras.

P..S. Yes I also think that designing an Adapter that supports screwdriver -AF is a complex undertaking. I trust that Nikon could solve that without issues  if they wanred to.

Closest I've gotten to get spot-metering to a button is to assign "metering" to one of the many buttons. This requires a press and turn of a dial but is pretty fast. I actually like the "i" menu on theZ9 more than I did on the Z6. With shooting banks I find it an easy way to see a number of setting in context.

I can't think of any reasons why Nikon would prioritize adding screwdriver AF to the FTZ. And the longer they don't do it, the less important it becomes.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #288 on: January 22, 2022, 00:28:33 »
Closest I've gotten to get spot-metering to a button is to assign "metering" to one of the many buttons. This requires a press and turn of a dial but is pretty fast. I actually like the "i" menu on theZ9 more than I did on the Z6. With shooting banks I find it an easy way to see a number of setting in context.
I have seen this option (good to have it, as metering disappeared from the top left button collection  -  compared to the D6 though the number of button number grew to four) but it does not give what I require. I am using recall shooting functions for that (increasing the wish to have at least a second set of  those

Havent ever tried out, whether info menu content corresponds with choice of shooting banks

I can't think of any reasons why Nikon would prioritize adding screwdriver AF to the FTZ. And the longer they don't do it, the less important it becomes.

Well they made a new FTZ and that was a (missed) opportunity. And as long as  (amongst others) lenses Micro 200mm f/4, Micro 70-180 mm, 105DC, 135DC only are available as screwdriver AF versions it'd add value
Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #289 on: January 22, 2022, 01:05:36 »
I have seen this option (good to have it, as metering disappeared from the top left button collection  -  compared to the D6 though the number of button number grew to four) but it does not give what I require. I am using recall shooting functions for that (increasing the wish to have at least a second set of  those

Havent ever tried out, whether info menu content corresponds with choice of shooting banks

Well they made a new FTZ and that was a (missed) opportunity. And as long as  (amongst others) lenses Micro 200mm f/4, Micro 70-180 mm, 105DC, 135DC only are available as screwdriver AF versions it'd add value

Not all features are available on all buttons. Haven't figured out which are available on which, but I do know that it varies. I tested this by assigning metering to the voice memo button.

"i" menu is configured in Custom Settings Bank - so there are 4 options. Would be nice if were possible to tie a specific Custom Settings Bank to a Shooting Bank, but I don't think that is possible on Z9. I think on Z6 it did change with U1, U2, U3...but maybe I'm misremembering.

My only screwdriver lens is the 135DC, so I'd not be interested in buying another expensive adapter just for it. If I recall correctly, the DC lenses had issues with focus tuning when DC was moved from the 0 mark. I've only ever focused it manually so clearly I'm outside the target market.

chambeshi

« Reply #290 on: January 22, 2022, 11:08:41 »
None of the primary Z9 manuals have a tabulated map summarizing which features can be set to each button. Nikon provided similar for the D850 and some of their other more advanced cameras.

Here's the only partial Table I have found - in the Z9 Sports AF Guide

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2022, 21:28:36 »
iPhonedo, one my of favorite tech reviewers, tested the Z9 for a few weeks:
https://youtu.be/_enQaE1wQJ8

Main focus is pro video work like product videos on a robotic arm, talking head, run and gun on a DJI gimbal, etc.

His production value is of a very high level and really dig the way he masters the light.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #292 on: January 24, 2022, 22:48:08 »
Also makes annoying comments about the camera didn't fit his bag (it would if he had turned it 180 degrees).

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: January 25, 2022, 15:42:07 »
Picking up my Z9 right now.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #294 on: January 25, 2022, 17:13:20 »
Picking up my Z9 right now.

Fine! enjoy! I am very impressed of my Z9 so far
Wolfgang Rehm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: January 25, 2022, 17:17:16 »
My dealer let me pick the "best" serial number which as a nod to my friend Paco ended in 13 (!)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #296 on: January 25, 2022, 18:36:50 »
No numerolocigal specialities in my case :-)
Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #297 on: January 25, 2022, 19:45:22 »
No numerolocigal specialities in my case :-)

The only distinguishing pattern on mine is that the last 5 digits are all even and unique.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #298 on: January 25, 2022, 21:43:25 »
My dealer let me pick the "best" serial number which as a nod to my friend Paco ended in 13 (!)
Congratulations! Enjoy a dreamy camera... with a dreamy number  ;)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #299 on: January 26, 2022, 10:44:22 »
A new Firmware version 1.11 is available now:

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/436.html
Wolfgang Rehm