Author Topic: Z9 Release Thread  (Read 54688 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Z9 Release Thread
« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2022, 15:25:45 »
Thanks for the correction Ilkka, am knee deep in testing different AF-ON and memory recall setups with the a7IV and kind of projected those experiences onto the Z9 when I read a similar recall option was available (again).
Cheers,
Jan Anne

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2022, 00:43:26 »
I can confirm that the Z9 does not offer recall shooting functions (hold)- havent checked whether one can switch the buttons to toggle mode in general
it is indeed possible to assign recall shooting funcions to AF-ON
This does not make sense to me as Iam triggering AF with this button only leaving the shutter-release completely out. So curretly RCO is on Fn2 (and Fn1 assigned for switching to single field AF.)
I would also like to have at least 2 recall shooting setups per individual configuration, more so as the Z9 (as well as the D6) is missing the options to assign (spot) metering mode to a button (all my older  Cameras including the (imho mis- intefaced Z6) could do that), so I need RCO as the only workaround.

The Z9 has (again compared to the D6) additional options though, so you can integrate switching to serial shots with a RCO set.

Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #272 on: January 18, 2022, 11:05:07 »

The Z9 has (again compared to the D6) additional options though, so you can integrate switching to serial shots with a RCO set.

This would be useful to get on other cameras as well. On the D6 you can move the release mode from the dial to a button on the lower back panel (multiple frame icon) but pressing this button and using a dial to select the mode is still very slow. If one could move it completely to the right hand side, or assign it to recall shooting functions would be very useful. It's just software as demonstrated by the fact that there are already two options on how to access this setting (but neither is convenient if the left hand is supporting the lens). I sent a request for this to Nikon but they seemed to think it's a good way to get me to buy the Z9 rather than give it as a firmware update on my current cameras. ;-)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #273 on: January 18, 2022, 21:57:14 »
Steve Perry tested and compared the focus speed of (adapter) F mount lenses on the D850, Z6II and Z9:
https://youtu.be/Y0GACItDhkg

FTZ I & II performed the same, Z9 is as fast or even faster than the D850, especially when a TC is used :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #274 on: January 19, 2022, 00:21:23 »
Steve Perry tested and compared the focus speed of (adapter) F mount lenses on the D850, Z6II and Z9:
https://youtu.be/Y0GACItDhkg

FTZ I & II performed the same, Z9 is as fast or even faster than the D850, especially when a TC is used :)
Somehow sadly the only difference between FTZ and FTZII is the geometry (the removed tripod socket) that otherwise get's in the way with Z9's portrait format grip- it is usable though but with limited space for the fingers. As the FTZII I have ordered is not available yet I have no alternative zu FTZ anyway. Caution: Together with the Z9 the  first version of the adapter works only when upgraded to the newest firmware.
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #275 on: January 19, 2022, 12:12:39 »
Somehow sadly the only difference between FTZ and FTZII is the geometry (the removed tripod socket) that otherwise get's in the way with Z9's portrait format grip- it is usable though but with limited space for the fingers. As the FTZII I have ordered is not available yet I have no alternative zu FTZ anyway. Caution: Together with the Z9 the  first version of the adapter works only when upgraded to the newest firmware.

That's what Nikon said, they are functionally identical apart from the tripod mount. Why is this sad? I think it's good that people can choose based on whether they need the space or the tripod mount, with no difference in performance (which is up to the camera).

A screwdriver AF motor would be nice (as well as aperture detection system for older lenses) but I can see that such an adapter would be larger, more expensive and tricky to make.

I will likely get an FTZ II as I don't want to constantly move the L-bracket from camera to adapter and vice versa, and it would be nice to recover the space taken by the tripod mount on the adapter. However, I'll keep the original FTZ for backup use.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #276 on: January 19, 2022, 13:26:21 »
I depart from the usual response in my stating I actually like the FTZ. For close-up and macro work, having the support mounting on the FTZ helps gain more stability of the rig.

I have "solved" the problem of brackets by having dedicated L-brackets (Markins) on the FTZ itself.  These FTZ units are permanently attached to my most used 'macro' lenses, like the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 (2.5-5X).

Since I'm still -- less patiently, now -- waiting for my long pre-ordered Z9, cannot say whether I would want to add an FTZ II later. Probably?

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #277 on: January 19, 2022, 15:40:14 »
I depart from the usual response in my stating I actually like the FTZ. For close-up and macro work, having the support mounting on the FTZ helps gain more stability of the rig.

I have "solved" the problem of brackets by having dedicated L-brackets (Markins) on the FTZ itself.  These FTZ units are permanently attached to my most used 'macro' lenses, like the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 (2.5-5X).

Since I'm still -- less patiently, now -- waiting for my long pre-ordered Z9, cannot say whether I would want to add an FTZ II later. Probably?

I got my preordered Z9 a few days ago. I also pre-ordered the FTZII which i did not receive so far . Probably you will add as it is more convenient to use the grip when F-mount lenses are used. The FTZI can be mounted on the Z9 but it won't work with an arca Type plate attached
AND you can't mount the FTZ to a monopod/tripod directly when it is mounted on a Z9
Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2022, 19:49:30 »
Here are some shots showing how the FTZ looks on the Z9. The tripod socket is completely blocked by the vertical grip and finger space is constrained by the FTZ foot. It is workable enough, but I find my smallest finger doesn’t fit in the gap. If my hand were slightly larger it could fit below the mount or if smaller it could fit above the mount. Fortunately most of my F mount lenses are all manual non-cpu so a dumb generic adapter works just fine. I likely won’t get the FTZ2.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2022, 22:06:10 »
Thanks Jack for the illustration - was feeeling too busy to do that
Wolfgang Rehm

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2022, 00:20:49 »
That's what Nikon said, they are functionally identical apart from the tripod mount. Why is this sad? I think it's good that people can choose based on whether they need the space or the tripod mount, with no difference in performance (which is up to the camera).

A screwdriver AF motor would be nice (as well as aperture detection system for older lenses) but I can see that such an adapter would be larger, more expensive and tricky to make.

There is nothing wrong with having a choice between tripod mount or not with no decrease of quality. There can be a variety if adapters. Canon started with three (one includign a filter holder). I'd have preferred an adapter with AI support and screwdriver AF support. yes screwdriver af probably would mean a socket for a motor that just has been removed in the evolution from FTZ to FTZII
Wolfgang Rehm

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2022, 02:24:24 »
B&H has the FTZ II in stock - right now
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2022, 08:03:28 »
Sony have an adapter which supports also screwdriver AF and it doesn't have any bulges. However, reading user reviews there seem to be a lot of compatibility issues with it, if the reviews are accurate. I think the complexity must be very high.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2022, 08:56:26 »
A slight tangent, but did anyone notice there was just a small firmware update for the Zii? Nothing like the expected v2 improvements, and nothing for the Z6ii.

Kind folks are surmising that Nikon is concentrating on Z9 firmware updates, but I think this delay may bite Nikon in the bum.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2022, 13:32:02 »
Rolling shutter test with a small fan, Z9 vs Z7II:
https://youtu.be/grqjuVp6YYs

Interesting subject to photograph with slow readouts, could deliver some very creative images :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne