Author Topic: Z9 Release Thread  (Read 53469 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Z9 Release Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 13:12:06 »
The latest leaks suggest a global shutter, if so Nikon is really flexing its muscle while flipping off the competition when they pass them in sales as this will be a real next level gamechanger for cameras.

So no mechanical shutter limitations, no rolling shutter, no viewfinder blackouts and insane DX framerates as the center part of the sensor can be read independently from the rest of the full frame sensor. Processing and write speeds become the next bottleneck in the chain but with the current NVMe cards this should not be a real issue.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 09:23:56 »
The global shutter will be impressive if true.

I am also hoping that the earlier rumours of an enhanced FTZ adapter will also prove to be correct.

Time will tell.

The latest leaks suggest a global shutter, if so Nikon is really flexing its muscle while flipping off the competition when they pass them in sales as this will be a real next level gamechanger for cameras.

So no mechanical shutter limitations, no rolling shutter, no viewfinder blackouts and insane DX framerates as the center part of the sensor can be read independently from the rest of the full frame sensor. Processing and write speeds become the next bottleneck in the chain but with the current NVMe cards this should not be a real issue.
Hugh Gunn

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 16:01:02 »
Global Shutter - which is excellent and I find myself wanting this camera.

However Nikon Rumors indicates no mechanical shutter, so I am troubled by the statement

The Nikon Z9 shutter will close when the camera is off to protect the sensor

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/10/22/some-last-moment-nikon-z9-specifications.aspx/
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 18:07:06 »

However Nikon Rumors indicates no mechanical shutter, so I am troubled by the statement

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/10/22/some-last-moment-nikon-z9-specifications.aspx/

It could just be a sensor cover to keep dust off. Easy to make something like this which only needs to operate at slow speeds. Advantage of global shutter is for video and under led lighting. I’m a bit skeptical they can pull that off, but we will see.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 18:07:29 »

I can only speculate, but could it be like in the Hasselblad 500 series bodies, where a shutter (in the body) would prevent the body from getting dust and sunlight but did not participate to the actual exposure, and the real shutter was in the lens itself (mechanical in that case) ???

On the Z9 there could be a mechanical shutter activated only when you power on/off the camera, very useful when changing lenses!

Only time will tell...

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 18:12:23 »
Obviously the camera has a mechanical shutter (listen to the sound in the teaser videos).

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2021, 18:38:49 »
Obviously the camera has a mechanical shutter (listen to the sound in the teaser videos).

It has been specified that the shutter sound is synthesized and can be adjusted.

Another teaser:

https://youtu.be/nEUB8DRhB9k

teaser has been deleted
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2021, 18:52:28 »

If I recall correctly, one of the rumors (pun intended) was that you can regulate the "shutter" noise from completely quiet to machine gun mode...

Sorry, I hadn't reloaded the thread, MFloyd had already given the same answer...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2021, 19:11:41 »
It has been specified that the shutter sound is synthesized and can be adjusted.

Have Nikon stated that?

Having synthetic shutter noise is not a useful feature, it would a joke in poor taste.  If the camera indeed has no mechanical shutter then silence would be the main feature to demonstrate in a teaser.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2021, 19:39:34 »
Have Nikon stated that?

Having synthetic shutter noise is not a useful feature, it would a joke in poor taste.  If the camera indeed has no mechanical shutter then silence would be the main feature to demonstrate in a teaser.

For you and me maybe, but there are people out there who buy cars with synthesized engine noises piped inside. The world is not entirely rational.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2021, 20:06:34 »
Have Nikon stated that?

It's not an official Nikon statement (most of what's reported here is from the nikonrumors site)

But on nikonrumors (link: https://nikonrumors.com/2021/10/22/some-last-moment-nikon-z9-specifications.aspx/ ) they say:

• The shutter release sound level can be adjusted from silent to loud… so you can still get that D6 machine gun sound…

I would keep my camera's shutter noise as low as possible (completely quiet if available).

Ciao from Massimo

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2021, 20:19:55 »
My hunch says that it would be a bit too early to implement a full-frame global shutter hi-megapixel sensor in Z9 as the potential rival to Canon R3 and Sony A1.

Given that such an advanced sensor is mature enough to implement in a still-video hybrid camera, the first camera to have that would have been Sony A1.  If I understand correctly, the most affordable camera with the global shutter for now is Red Komodo, but it has a super 35 sensor.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2021, 21:31:13 »
Have Nikon stated that?

Different users, different situations, different needs. Working generally in a very noisy environment (motorsport), a tactile or sound feedback is of the essence.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2021, 21:56:22 »
Different users, different situations, different needs. Working generally in a very noisy environment (motorsport), a tactile or sound feedback is of the essence.

I understand that, but having a shutter sound is not a new feature in a camera; the major achievement of recent high-end mirrorless cameras is the ability to shoot silently (now apparently) without compromise. It was cited as the primary reason why e.g. AP went with Sony. If Nikon understood what they (apparently) have, they'd emphasize that. Everyone understands that shutter sound can be synthetized if the user wishes that, this is not something that needs to be marketed in every teaser (without a single example of silent shooting). Most people will relieved if the camera indeed produces no sound. The teasers lead one to believe that this capability is not present or involves compromises.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2021, 22:50:16 »
It's possible that a synthesized shutter sound might be helpful to both the photographer and subject. I frequently shoot a disposable shot. Many subjects particularly children pose with a, "Say cheese" smile and then relax and give a natural smile after the first shot is taken. The second and third shots are most frequently the keepers. The use of the FV Lock (flash value) works this way also. You press the designated FV Lock button and your Nikon camera fires a test flash. After the test flash many subjects relax. Now you can take several additional photographs with the flash exposure locked. When the subject to flash distance is constant several exposures can be made with exactly the same flash exposure. The FV Lock is a toggle on, toggle off device. You take your shots and then press the FV Lock button to release the flash exposure lock and move to the next subject.

If the subject is directly participating with the photographer a shutter sound is a plus. If the photographer wishes to be the "Fly on the wall" then a shutter sound is a minus. With events such as plays and concerts the shutter is again a minus.

A Vehicle sound can be a definite plus. A few years back a guy in a Toyota Prius backed up without warning and bumped me with his car. There was of course no engine starting sound to alert me that the car was occupied and about to move. The idiot was upset that I touched his car not that he might have injured me. People who are profoundly deaf must have ways to deal with this. Someone with normal hearing not so much.

I'm in favor of a synthetic shutter sound that can be controlled or turned off. Most of the time I'd want it off. At times I'd want it on.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!