Author Topic: Did Adobe Just Advise that Free Adobe Reader DC would...  (Read 1780 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Did Adobe Just Advise that Free Adobe Reader DC would...
« on: September 30, 2021, 22:04:48 »
Am I talking trash or...

Did Adobe just advise me that a Free Adobe Reader DC Update would delete, remove, uninstall Perpetual License Versions of Adobe Acrobat Professional?

A few days ago when I was about to install and update to Adobe Reader DC on my Windows 10 box I saw a message that said as much. I stopped and did not install the update and to insure that I don't make a mistake I uninstalled Adobe Reader DC from my computer.

If anyone here is using a Perpetual License Adobe Product take care!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
Re: Did Adobe Just Advise that Free Adobe Reader DC would...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 02:28:07 »
I guess no one here has an Adobe Perpetual License Applications that might be "Maliciously" uninstalled, deleted, trashed by an Adobe software installation program, especially a FREE one.  :o :o :o :o

Dave

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 16:44:31 »
Dave,

I haven't had Adobe Acrobat Pro installed for years. I think my last version was Acrobat 9 Pro and if memory serves me correctly, some features stopped working as the Windows releases continued. That is odd, but not surprising as the program most likely has .dll's and other files that are commonly shared between other Adobe products and incompatible. At least you caught it in time and can eliminate the issue going forward!

Regards,
Tom

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 18:43:07 »
Since the perpetual licenses don't get support for new OS versions and Microsoft's position is that the OS must be kept up to date for security reasons, subscription is the only realistic option over the long run if one wants to use Adobe software. :/

JCDowdy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 21:03:10 »
I appreciate the warning!
John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 00:45:32 »
Since the perpetual licenses don't get support for new OS versions and Microsoft's position is that the OS must be kept up to date for security reasons, subscription is the only realistic option over the long run if one wants to use Adobe software. :/

At this point I've seen no major problems with Adobe Acrobat 8 professional (given its age and what it will do on Windows 10) so I'm deeply offended by Adobe's over-reach. They could certainly suggest deleting the old version of Adobe Acrobat Professional for security reasons. I've stopped using Acrobat Reader DC on my PC and just now I deleted it from my MacBook Pro.

I like Adobe products but I do not like the company because of their lack of a customer friendly attitude.

Dave

Bob Foster

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 14:28:38 »
Only tangentially on topic...

To my mind a correctly configured, and up to date in its' software, commercial grade (hardware) firewall is far better protection than that provided by Microsoft's built into the OS (software) firewall. Given the current situation with ransomware and other threats this is a solution that may be worthy of consideration if your business depends largely on reliable internet service. Even this will not prevent lack of useful access to the internet if, for instance, a major DNS server is taken down, unless you and your customers are able to use the site ip address in place of the domain name.

That said, I've had little trouble with running very old programs on Windows 10 Enterprise. With a modest amount of hacking even most 16 bit programs can be made to run acceptably with no ill effects on the OS.

I no longer consider myself qualified to make a useful comment on the state of security in any Apple OS.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 22:51:31 »
...That said, I've had little trouble with running very old programs on Windows 10 Enterprise. With a modest amount of hacking even most 16 bit programs can be made to run acceptably with no ill effects on the OS...

Bob,

I've started a new thread in the (What The Nerds Do) regarding running 16 bit programs on 64 bit Windows 10 (professional and enterprise). I'd really appreciate a link or suggested utility for running 16 bit software on 64 bit Windows 10.

Here is a link to the new discussion...

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=10208.0

Thanks!

Dave