Author Topic: FTZ 2?  (Read 2259 times)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
FTZ 2?
« on: September 10, 2021, 22:23:37 »
It’s only a Nikon rumour, but it’s an exciting prospect.

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/09/09/nikon-could-be-working-on-a-new-ftz2-adapter.aspx/

Compatibility issues with the current FTZ and the Z9 body may be the driving force (according to the comments), so it may just offer the current functionality, but in a different skin.

ai metering and screwdriver focussing would be too much of an ask in the same unit methinks, but it would be super if there were two new adapters! Well, three, including the current one in a new skin.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: FTZ 2?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 06:31:17 »
The best things in life are free
But you can keep 'em for the birds and bees

Now give me money (that's what I want)
That's what I want (that's what I want)
That's what I want (that's what I want) yeah
That's what I want

--Berry Gordy Jr, Janie Bradford

Today I had car trouble. I put a new battery in it and it still didn't start. Rather than an intermittent failure I've had intermittent success starting it. I'm hoping a bad cable and or poor connection is the problem. When the car starts the starter turns the engine over smartly.

I have a little money in my "poke" and I'm hoping somehow to gable on a Nikon Z7 II. I'm about half way there.  :-X

Dave

I also doubt AI metering and especially screwdriver focus.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 00:16:27 »
Nikonrumor is now stating that it is confirmed

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/09/12/new-nikon-ftz2-adapter-confirmed.aspx/

I still hope that this brings additional functionality (AI and screwdriver support, removable tripod foot... dont expect a filter holder although a versoin with this feature wouldbe nice)
and that the upcoming Z9 is also works with the FTZ 1 and the vast majoritie of  F- lenses
Wolfgang Rehm

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 02:01:00 »
An FTZ2 Eh?  Well what is life without dreams and hope!

Actually given some of the smart adapters now being offerred by independent manufacturers, an FTZ2 should not be impossible.  Let us hope that it will be backwards compatible with all existing Z cameras and not just the yet to be released Z9.
Hugh Gunn

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 19:35:28 »

Actually given some of the smart adapters now being offerred by independent manufacturers, an FTZ2 should not be impossible.  Let us hope that it will be backwards compatible with all existing Z cameras and not just the yet to be released Z9.
yes thats another important hope - everything else would be foolish. Imagine pairing my future Z9 with my Z6 and a couple of F-lenses of different kind and type, there is an FTZ 2 adapter and i have to take an FTZ with me in addition to that .... or  mixing Z lenses with an F lens and I cant just keep the Adapter on the lens but have to change it frequently.
Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 21:28:25 »
My prediction, the FTZ2 will have two humps, not just one. All the better to support vertical orientation of the Z9  :)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 22:34:00 »
The latest Sony adapter shows how it is possible to include screwdriver support - but only on a few camera models. Whereas the Chinese hack of the previous Sony adapter (remove the mirror and replace a chip/board allows it to be used with a host of Sony bodies.

Is there anything stopping a third party manufacture from making an ai Z adapter?

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 01:46:36 »
The rumors don't say anything except it will have a re-designed body, probably without the bump at the bottom. There is no indication about any new functionality such as supporting screwdrive AF (which is unlikely since an AF motor would likely require a bigger bump). Support for AI metering would be very nice, but no hints about that either.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 02:13:16 »
The rumors don't say anything except it will have a re-designed body, probably without the bump at the bottom. There is no indication about any new functionality such as supporting screwdrive AF (which is unlikely since an AF motor would likely require a bigger bump). Support for AI metering would be very nice, but no hints about that either.

I suspect you are correct, but if so it might prompt a third party solution.
We can but dream ...  :-[

ianwatson

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 03:54:15 »
The hump on the FTZ is my only complaint. AI indexing would be nice but I can accept the loss. That said, would an updated FTZ offer me anything that, say, a Rayqual would not for manual lenses?

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 05:14:28 »
it should do this :o :o :o

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 08:21:52 »
An ai FTZ would see another vintage glass price jump similar to when the DF launched.

I am convinced there would be a massive social media and YouTube frenzy, with demand and pricing for certain lenses ramping up soon after.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 09:49:14 »
Better get in quick - sooner or later a smart Ai friendly adapter will be made by someone.

An ai FTZ would see another vintage glass price jump similar to when the DF launched.

I am convinced there would be a massive social media and YouTube frenzy, with demand and pricing for certain lenses ramping up soon after.
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 09:59:23 »
The general advice is and always has been to stock up on old Nikkors :)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 10:30:31 »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

The general advice is and always has been to stock up on old Nikkors :)
Hugh Gunn