Author Topic: LIGHT Tripod System for an Old Guy  (Read 5368 times)

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
Re: LIGHT Tripod System for an Old Guy
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2021, 16:22:34 »
I was wondering, is it just me? Then I put my own tripod on the bathroom scale. My Bogen 3233 legs, topped with a 3063 pan-and-tilt head, weighs-in at exactly 10lbs. I don't know if I'm relieved that "it's not me" or concerned that "it is me", so far as the weight goes. I'm heartened to know, I can still pack this beast on my "expeditions". And given fair warning, it's neigh time I acquired something practically light if ever I plan on actually going somewhere.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2021, 16:27:50 »
My usual "travel" tripod is a Sachtler with Burzynsky head. It weighs in at 2.7kg of which the head probably is half the weight. It easily supports lenses up to 600mm.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2021, 16:37:37 »
Birna, do you use your sachtler with any kind of middle or ground spreader or there is free movement for each leg?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2021, 16:56:41 »
Free as the bird :)

I do have  spreader on the bigger Sacthlers used in my studio, though. Mainly because I don't care for the combination of tripod leg spikes and a wooden floor :)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2021, 19:58:42 »
Makes sense  :)
 Thanks Birna

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2021, 21:39:08 »
I also sometimes use a smaller, cut-down Sachtler that only weighs 0.6 kg. It is packed when space (and weight) considerations are important. It has the same "carrying capacity" as the usual travel tripod. On occasion I put it under water as well.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2021, 11:49:09 »
Somewhat off-topic, years ago I realized that any number of broken, used, or otherwise discarded metal legs -- even some rather flimsy off-brand models -- can be cut-down and repurposed for any number of uses, such as tabletop and ground-level macro/micro shoots. Even microphone stands, video conferencing, or desk lamps. Go crazy! 8)

Once the extendable sections are permanently removed from the legs, you can hacksaw as much off what remains of the tripod and/or extendable center column to suit your needs. Those (I forget what they're called) rubber feet you can purchase for canes and crutches can then be placed over the ends for gripping. Or just sand the newly sharpened ends and wrap several layers of waterproof tape around them. (Birna will thank you for it, too!) Alternately, you can devise something from champagne corks and iron nails or wood screws, if you prefer "spiked feet". (Don't even think of bringing that contraption into Birna's home. What am I saying?! Don't come near me, with that weapon! :o) You may be wondering, why not just use the original grips or spiked feet? If they're not already missing -- remember, we're repurposing junk -- they will likely be too small to fit what were the upper legs. In which case sawing-off just enough of the lower sections, with the feet or spikes still in place, to have something to wrap tape around, and shove into the remaining upper legs for a friction grip, should remedy the situation. Or just use epoxy.

Finish the project with a nice, fresh coat of black matte or crinkle paint for that "pro look"  ::) and be the envy of your peers. (Be prepared for a lot of can you make me one, entreaties.)

I believe that with the legs foreshorten thus, any wobbliness and vibration would be significantly reduced and even an inferior head would support reasonable weights in excess of its design parameters.