Author Topic: D600 Upgrade?  (Read 7404 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: D600 Upgrade?
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2021, 08:35:31 »
Mine is also a Sony reader - Model MRW-E90 - and also from 2018 and it set me back around $A90 (about $US70 as I write). 

It is a dual XQD and SDXC-II reader and works flawlessly with both my XQD and SDXC cards.  However it is no longer available here and so far there are no firmware updates for it.  I cannot imagine that XQD will be around for ever now that CF-Express is here, so if/when I buy into CF-Express I am up for a new reader.

Whilst the speeds of XQD and CF-Express cards are not in doubt, unless you are regularly overflowing the cameras buffer memory with long stills sequences or special video requirements, the less expensive SDXC cards will work fine - accepting of course that they are also likely to be slower to unload onto ones computer.

My cheap Sony XQD reader was around $30 US. It has been working fine since 2018.
Hugh Gunn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2021, 10:07:44 »
That a CFExpress card and reader is superior to an SDXC card and reader is not the point. The point is the Nikon Z6 II has major improvements a over the Nikon Z6. The Nikon Z6 II has two EXPEED 6 image processors while the Nikon Z6 has only one. If you start with a Z6 II and a SDXC card and reader you already have you can add a CFExpress memory card and reader later. You can not add a second EXPEED 6 processor to a Nikon Z6.

The two EXPEED 6 image processors in the Nikon Z6 II allow many significant improvements to the Z6 II over the Z6. A $400.00 instant rebate off the Nikon Z6 is not a deep enough discount to motivate me to buy the Z6 even if the Z6 had two memory slots and could accept both a CFExpress and SDXC memory card.

Dave

CFExpress B v. XQD? I would not buy XQD at this time even if there were deep discounts. XQD is going to die out and probably sooner than later.

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2021, 12:43:39 »
The rebates are also pretty good for the Z6II and z7II where I am, so at this point of time I would not go for the earlier models either.
Hugh Gunn

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2021, 21:43:06 »
Will it read CFExpress or is there an updated model. What about the speed? Does it fulfill the promise or does the economical price bring a speed penalty?

Dave

Don’t know about CFExpress or updated models. It is fast enough that I’ve never thought I need to get anything faster.

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2021, 23:33:56 »
Picking up on another thread about dynamic range - the D600 matches (and even exceeds at low ISO) the latest cameras ...
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D600,Nikon%20Z%2050,Nikon%20Z%206,Nikon%20Z%207,Nikon%20Z%207II

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2021, 13:34:19 »
Thank you for your comments, some interesting comments here.

I did not consider the D810 or D850, they are significantly heavier than my D600 and slightly bigger too. I prefer to use a smaller, lighter camera, although there is no doubt the D8xx cameras are outstanding.

The D750 is an interesting option I had not considered. It is the same size and even marginally lighter than the D600. The tilt out screen would be useful, and newer EXPEED processor should give improved high ISO performance. Although I don't have many AF lenses the wider spread of AF points would be useful even for manual focusing. The D780 is rather expensive right now but could also be an option.

The Z6 is probably my first option among the mirrorless cameras. Maybe the Z5 would be better since it accepts SD cards, but the EVF is lower resolution and the it does not have a BSI sensor so high-ISO performance is not as good (not that I shoot at high ISO often, but having more head-room would be useful).

Hi Roland!

Speaking of actuations, your D600 is still in its prime... My own D600, bought when the D600 came out, has reached 59000 actuations and it's still alive and kicking! But that's nothing compared to other cameras I own, just mentioning the ones with higher actuations:
D300: 78K actuations
D2H: 125K actuations
DF: 178K actuations
D3: 365K actuations
D2X: 692K actuations
and then D810 36K actuations, Z7 18K actuations, D500 10K actuations, Z6 5K actuations, ...

So your decision to maybe change your current camera should not be influenced by actuation numbers... that would be the last issue!

But let's go back to possible cameras replacing your D600. I will be comparing only what I have or have used

As an example, let's compare D70 vs D600 vs D810.

D70: very light, very limited at high ISO, difficult to use unchipped MF lenses (no non-CPU menu)
D600: midweight, better at higher ISO, has non-CPU lens menu
D810: heavier (but rock steady al low shutter speeds), even better at higher ISO, has non-CPU lens menu
[I'll assume that the D850 has improvements to nthe D810 both in High-ISO and resolution. Of course it weighs more, it's a small fee to pay!]

Let's kick in the Z6 and Z7

The Z6 (and Z6 II) has the same resolution as the D600 (24MP), it weighs 675 grams vs 850 grams of the D600
The FTZ adapter's weight is not listed in your table, so I did measure my own FTZ: 136 grams, (without caps)
Z6 (and Z7) + FTZ: 811 grams, you save 39 grams
for completeness, Z6II (and Z7 II): 707+136=841 grams, you save 9 grams

So, weight is a non-issue for Z6/Z7 (or the II versions) vs the D600

Let's compare high ISO, vibration reduction, and viewfinder
high ISO: the Z6 is a clear winner
viewfinder: if you compare side-by side a Z6 and a D600 in night conditions, the Z6 (and Z7) allows you to actually see the scene, while you have to guess the framing on the D600 (it's always too DARK to tell). This is because of the light amplification of the EVF (very useful!)
viewfinder zoom: no such thing on the D600, very useful and practical on Z6/Z7: you can map the zoom-in/zoom-out function to a Fn button. I find myself using my MF lenses a lot more now that my eyesight is not-so-good and I can zoom in (even on screwdriver lenses such as DC-105 which can be used only in MF). Additionally: if you clip in a DX lens, you will have the full image in the EVF, not a small portion of the image surrounded by a red line
Vibration reduction: on Z6/Z7 you have in-camera vibration reduction even for MF 1959 lenses, no such thing on the D600. On a dedicated Z lens, you have even more sophisticated VR, not even dreamt of on the D600...

One problem with D850, Z7 and Z7II is image size, it will slow down your workflow. On the practical level, you don't need a 47MP sensor all the time...

My opinion? Go for a Z6 or a Z6II and be happy!

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2021, 20:59:40 »
Hello all, I have had my D600 since mid 2013. The frame counter recently rolled over from 9999 to 0001 for the first time. The shutter is rated for at least 15x that and the camera is in good shape but it got me wondering if I should start thinking about a replacement.

As far as I know the sensor of the D600 is the same as the D610, with minor improvements going into the D750, Z6, Z6II and D780. The new generations have higher ISO limits. Is there a noticeable improvement in the image quality, especially at low-medium ISO?

I mostly use AI lenses, the D600 viewfinder is not the best for manual focusing and I know the mirrorless cameras have better focusing aids which should help with focusing. IBIS would also be welcome. Lack of aperture information in EXIF data with manual lenses would be a disadvantage.

I like the long battery life of DSLRs, but USB charging should make the shorter battery life of mirrorless cameras less painful.

The Z6 seems to be bit more compact, but the greater depth of the camera behind the sensor and the FTZ adapter would make the setup more bulky overall.

I'm not sure that I want to buy a new camera (or lenses) at this point, just mulling over possibilities. Thanks!

The Z6 is a mayor upgrade from the D600.

I used my D600 up to 78.000 Clicks and then sold her. Reliability and reproducability was not her strength.

Plus: the native Z lenses are gorgeous. The 1.2/50S is the best lens I own and I do have the 2/200VR and the 1.4/105E
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2021, 09:43:18 »
I also have a D600 but only for a few years. And also thinking about moving to the Nikon Z system. However, I can not afford the Z6. Any thoughts on the Z5?

Thanks
Keep shooting,
Bern

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2021, 10:16:28 »
Z5 has a lot of the goodies of the Z6/7 cameras. Its video features are not up to those of the others, though. And it can use SD cards which might save you some additional pennies.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2021, 11:58:08 »
Roland, since your D600 is relatively youthful yet no longer super valuable, why not "run it into the ground"?  What have you got to lose?

The Z6 is a nice camera - I like mine a lot, but the XQD and CF-Express cards are too dammed expensive; plus they need special readers.  If you can, why not wait for the prices of SD friendly Z6/7 Mk IIs to fall in price?
Hugh Gunn

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2021, 13:47:01 »
Z5 has a lot of the goodies of the Z6/7 cameras. Its video features are not up to those of the others, though. And it can use SD cards which might save you some additional pennies.

I heard complains about low light EVF issue. As you have all Z models, how do you compare Z5 EVF with the ones from the other models?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2021, 21:03:29 »
Roland, since your D600 is relatively youthful yet no longer super valuable, why not "run it into the ground"?  What have you got to lose?

The Z6 is a nice camera - I like mine a lot, but the XQD and CF-Express cards are too dammed expensive; plus they need special readers.  If you can, why not wait for the prices of SD friendly Z6/7 Mk IIs to fall in price?

Roland,

I like having a backup. Considering this and to add to Hugh's response...

I would keep the D600 and watch for discounts on the Z6 II and Z7 II. Perhaps there will be discounts for Back Thursday? ...or maybe the Z6 II and Z7 II are to young or early in their product cycle? I'd watch prices.

Again I'd skip the Z6 or Z7 and go for the Z6 II or Z7II because the foot in the door with the ability to use a fast SDXC card. A Nikon Z6 II on a Black Thursday or other discount might be your sweet spot.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2021, 07:46:26 »
Consider also the fact that Z5, Z6, Z7, Z6II and Z7II are battery-wise (*) and charger-wise compatible with the D600. In this sense having a backup body with the same battery and charger is a big PLUS.

Ciao from Massimo

(*) some early EN-EL15 batteries cannot be used on the newer models (eventually, a notice is displayed on the LCD), but the newer batteries are all backwards compatible with the D600.
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2021, 09:38:35 »
Yes, a very good point re battery compatibility!

Consider also the fact that Z5, Z6, Z7, Z6II and Z7II are battery-wise (*) and charger-wise compatible with the D600. In this sense having a backup body with the same battery and charger is a big PLUS.

Ciao from Massimo

(*) some early EN-EL15 batteries cannot be used on the newer models (eventually, a notice is displayed on the LCD), but the newer batteries are all backwards compatible with the D600.
Hugh Gunn

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2021, 15:14:39 »

Ciao from Massimo

Considering the great reliability of modern cameras, I am curious how many of you make use of the backups?