Author Topic: D600 Upgrade?  (Read 7409 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
D600 Upgrade?
« on: August 31, 2021, 05:35:36 »
Hello all, I have had my D600 since mid 2013. The frame counter recently rolled over from 9999 to 0001 for the first time. The shutter is rated for at least 15x that and the camera is in good shape but it got me wondering if I should start thinking about a replacement.

As far as I know the sensor of the D600 is the same as the D610, with minor improvements going into the D750, Z6, Z6II and D780. The new generations have higher ISO limits. Is there a noticeable improvement in the image quality, especially at low-medium ISO?

I mostly use AI lenses, the D600 viewfinder is not the best for manual focusing and I know the mirrorless cameras have better focusing aids which should help with focusing. IBIS would also be welcome. Lack of aperture information in EXIF data with manual lenses would be a disadvantage.

I like the long battery life of DSLRs, but USB charging should make the shorter battery life of mirrorless cameras less painful.

The Z6 seems to be bit more compact, but the greater depth of the camera behind the sensor and the FTZ adapter would make the setup more bulky overall.

I'm not sure that I want to buy a new camera (or lenses) at this point, just mulling over possibilities. Thanks!

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: D600 Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 05:39:48 »
the Z5 comes with discounts now :o :o :o

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 07:05:30 »
With AI Nikkor lenses I think a DSLR might be the best. The very best is I think a Nikon D850. It has been on sale for about $2497.00 (USD) on occasion and may go on sale again this November. I bought on a $500.00 instant savings. I'm sure the viewfinder is much better than the D600 but I still have problems focusing my AI and AIS Nikkors under pressure. I might suggest looking into a D780 but if the D780 is at full price of $2297.00 (USD) it would be hard for me to recommend a D780 over a D850.

There are those who find the Z6 II and Z7 II excellent for manual focus lenses and others who don't. I have no experience with mirrorless cameras so I can't offer advice on these cameras with AI and AIS Nikkor lenses. I do think the new Z type FX cameras with two memory card slots are worth the extra price as one can get on with a medium fast SD type card where with the older Z type FX cameras you'll need a CFExpress type B memory card to start using the camera. You'd also probably also want a CFExpress card reader right away.

The choice between a DSLR and Mirrorless cameras seems to me to depend on use. Many feel a DSLR is better for sports, action and wildlife. I would like the option of shooting a digital mirrorless camera from waist level for candid photos of people. I've found Live View with the D850 useless for candid photos of people. Far too much shutter lag.

Use? Maybe look at a D750. I don't know if D780(s) are common used. I would skip over the D800/e and D810 to the D850.

My DSLR experience is a D2H (too little dynamic range), D300s, D800 and now D850. I've been considering various options and asking question but may end up having to buy a new laptop. I think I'd like a Nikon Z7 II but I've never touched one.

So maybe a used D750 or D850. I'd skip the D800/e and D810 to a D850 or see what Z6 II and Z7 II owners have to say about manual focus with AI and AIS Nikkors.

I hope something here helps.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 09:26:48 »
Currently the D850 is the camera of choice for enjoying F-mount lenses - Best viewfinder and flawless images!
Erik Lund

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 16:04:32 »
I will disagree that a DSLR is best for AI lenses. I have both the dF and Z6 and about 20 AI, AI-S and pre-AI lenses. The Z6 is worse for keeping track of what aperture things were shot at. And there is always room to improve the viewfinder, but you can mount almost any lens on it, it offers image stabilization, the viewfinder can zoom to help with fine focus (especially with wide angles or large aperture lenses), it can see in the dark, and offers things like focus peaking (I find this annoying for stills and never really use it, but some people like it).

The percentage of shots which are in focus and not blurred has increased with this camera as has speed of working as I can focus quickly and confidently.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 16:18:17 »
I agree with Jack.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 21:09:11 »
...the viewfinder can zoom to help with fine focus (especially with wide angles or large aperture lenses)...

This would not help me focus on a persons face where I'm trying to capture peak expression in many candid photo situations. With my FM2n and FE2 cameras I used a B or E screen so I could focus on any point on the focus screen. This was possible because these cameras offered a 0.86x viewfinder magnification. When the person's nearest eye to the lens was in focus I was ready to trip the shutter in anticipation of peak expression. This all happened as a reflex.

In situations where focus and recompose is acceptable a button might be assigned to finder magnification. I would want this to be momentary but from my reading of the Z7 II manual it's a toggle and therefore less than ideal. This might compete with buttons needed for other functions. For example I could not use the Fn2 button as I'd already be assigning that button to FV Lock (Flash Value). Perhaps I could use the Fn1 button (formerly Preview or DoF button). I'd have to try Fn1 assignment to finder magnification and see how it worked out.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 22:51:35 »
Regarding DoF Preview with Nikon mirrorless digital cameras (Z7 II, Z6 II, Z fc, etc.): please don't laugh.  :-[

1) with AI and AIS Nikkors on a FTZ adapter there is no Auto Aperture function as found on most all Nikon cameras since the Nikon F to the Nikon D850. The aperture is fully manual and so a Depth of Fiend Preview button (AKA Preview Button) is superfluous.

1a) with AF and AF-D auto focus Nikkors again there is no Auto Aperture function and the aperture is set on the lens. Again a Depth of Fiend Preview button is superfluous.

Any comments on AF-S, G and AF-S, E lenses on an FTZ are welcomed. When I can I'll do a bit of research on these lenses on an FTZ adapter.

Dave

OK, I read Ken Rockwell's rundown of the Nikon FTZ adapter with various Nikkor lenses from 1959 to date. It seems if one is shooting at f/2.5 or faster the FTZ works OK but opening and closing the aperture manually to focus when shooting at slower apertures is far less than ideal...

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/mirrorless/lenses/ftz.htm

Whether one likes shooting manual focus lenses on a Nikon mirrorless digital camera and an FTZ adapter is quite dependent on the type of photography one is doing.

ianwatson

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 00:33:34 »
I have found the electronic viewfinder of my Z6 easier to use for focusing than the S screen that I put in my D4, even without zooming.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 06:40:44 »
Regarding DoF Preview with Nikon mirrorless digital cameras (Z7 II, Z6 II, Z fc, etc.): please don't laugh.  :-[

1) with AI and AIS Nikkors on a FTZ adapter there is no Auto Aperture function as found on most all Nikon cameras since the Nikon F to the Nikon D850. The aperture is fully manual and so a Depth of Fiend Preview button (AKA Preview Button) is superfluous.

1a) with AF and AF-D auto focus Nikkors again there is no Auto Aperture function and the aperture is set on the lens. Again a Depth of Fiend Preview button is superfluous.

Any comments on AF-S, G and AF-S, E lenses on an FTZ are welcomed. When I can I'll do a bit of research on these lenses on an FTZ adapter.

Dave

OK, I read Ken Rockwell's rundown of the Nikon FTZ adapter with various Nikkor lenses from 1959 to date. It seems if one is shooting at f/2.5 or faster the FTZ works OK but opening and closing the aperture manually to focus when shooting at slower apertures is far less than ideal...

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/mirrorless/lenses/ftz.htm

Whether one likes shooting manual focus lenses on a Nikon mirrorless digital camera and an FTZ adapter is quite dependent on the type of photography one is doing.

What does that even mean? With Z6 set the aperture, look at the viewfinder, adjust focus as required, press the shutter button. Why would you have to change the aperture to focus? Ken Rockwell is a loon.

Dave, you should try the Z cameras instead of imagining reasons why you won’t like them. Sure it takes a week or two to get used to them, but I’ve been taking photographs with Nikons for 40 years and it is my favorite so far.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 07:01:09 »
I have found the electronic viewfinder of my Z6 easier to use for focusing than the S screen that I put in my D4, even without zooming.

Don’t tell me that! I have an S screen now waiting to go in my D4s … ;-)
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 09:39:12 »
On my Z50 I miss a button that instant zooms in so precise manual focus can be achieved and after release of the button it is back again to normal view. 
It could also be the press on the trigger button that switches back to normal view. Think Nikon 1 (J4, J5) works like this.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 10:35:53 »
On my Z50 I miss a button that instant zooms in so precise manual focus can be achieved and after release of the button it is back again to normal view. 
It could also be the press on the trigger button that switches back to normal view. Think Nikon 1 (J4, J5) works like this.

Can’t you configure one of the front buttons to do that? On the Z6ii it is easy to 100% zoom in and out again using the function button.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 10:38:50 »
In its factory state, the FTZ keep the viewing aperture set to f/5.6 *if* the lens is a Nikkor or equivalent design with an automatic aperture coupling. Meaning all Nikkors since '59. When the release button is pressed the lens either opens or closes to the actual shooting aperture. What DPreview writes is nonsense.

However, *if* you wish to do evaluation of the scene at apertures faster than f/5.6 *prior* to taking the picture, the easy approach is modifying the FTZ by pushing in and locking the little sensor tab on its left side (seen from front) that signals the aperture ring is moved all the way to the smallest aperture on the lens. A small piece of a toothpick or matchstick in combination with a drop of epoxy glue fixes this issue immediately. Now, you can see what the lens sees all the way up to the maximum opening. However, once the lens aperture is moved beyond f/5.6, that setting sticks unless aperture again goes bigger.

The modification does not change the behaviour of 'G' or 'E' lenses - they work as before , only AI/AIS or AI'd lenses are influenced. Depth of field preview will work at apertures smaller than f/5.6. Probably with larger as well, but as all my FTZ units are modified, I cannot test this.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 11:28:12 »
Can’t you configure one of the front buttons to do that? On the Z6ii it is easy to 100% zoom in and out again using the function button.

I just checked but that function is not among what I can select for f1 and f2 on the Z50. Would be useful.