Author Topic: August 2021  (Read 25047 times)

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Re: August 2021
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2021, 16:26:39 »
Clouds lining up.

A Cloud Train?

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2021, 17:27:26 »
August 6

Sanguisorba 'Pink Brushes'

Z6, 60mm f/2.8d

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2021, 21:24:07 »
Geitonogamy, literally translated as 'neighbour marriage', is a weird pollination strategy followed by a few diehard enthusiasts. It implies pollen is transferred from one neighbour flower to another, but both belonging to the same plant individual. In its most extreme form, geitonogamy is internal, meaning pollen never is exposed to the ambient environment.

In my aquatic plant project, I'm currently working with the genus Callitriche Water Star-worts, amongst which a number of species have various forms of geitonogamy, including the internal one. Perhaps this is seen in the perspective of evolution as a fail-safe way of ensuring fruits are developed in a very unpredictable environment? Genetic diversity is exchanged for a better chance of survival and continued existence at a given location.

For geitonogamy to work, the two flowers involved obviously have to have female and male parts. In the depicted example below, of a Callitriche hamulata, both flowers in the leaf axil were female and thus the one flower initiating the geitonogamous process, by extending its style towards its neighbour, is given marks for trying without knowing going into a same-sex relationship :) However enticing "lesbian" sex may be, there will be no fruit in this case.

Nikon Z7 with the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 lens, 5X magnification, scale bar 1mm.  The Laowa has a dedicated LED ring light which runs on USB power, very handy for working in the field. Around 40 frames stacked in Zerene.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2021, 23:32:50 »
Looks special, Akira. Excellent image.

Thank you, Luc!

A Cloud Train?

You could say so.  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2021, 23:40:07 »
Birna, the first line of your post almost got me confused...

Always interesting seeing and reading about the aquatic plants.

Here, IR "espeto", a way of cooking sardines and other seafood typical of the south of Spain.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2021, 23:42:36 »
Geitonogamy, literally translated as 'neighbour marriage', is a weird pollination strategy followed by a few diehard enthusiasts. It implies pollen is transferred from one neighbour flower to another, but both belonging to the same plant individual. In its most extreme form, geitonogamy is internal, meaning pollen never is exposed to the ambient environment.

In my aquatic plant project, I'm currently working with the genus Callitriche Water Star-worts, amongst which a number of species have various forms of geitonogamy, including the internal one. Perhaps this is seen in the perspective of evolution as a fail-safe way of ensuring fruits are developed in a very unpredictable environment? Genetic diversity is exchanged for a better chance of survival and continued existence at a given location.

For geitonogamy to work, the two flowers involved obviously have to have female and male parts. In the depicted example below, of a Callitriche hamulata, both flowers in the leaf axil were female and thus the one flower initiating the geitonogamous process, by extending its style towards its neighbour, is given marks for trying without knowing going into a same-sex relationship :) However enticing "lesbian" sex may be, there will be no fruit in this case.

Nikon Z7 with the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 lens, 5X magnification, scale bar 1mm.  The Laowa has a dedicated LED ring light which runs on USB power, very handy for working in the field. Around 40 frames stacked in Zerene.

Intriguing image, Birna.  Is the stem translucent?  I think I can see some internal structure.  Does "scale bar 1mm" mean that the scale is 1cm long end to end?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2021, 23:44:51 »
Birna, the first line of your post almost got me confused...

Always interesting seeing and reading about the aquatic plants.

Here, IR "espeto", a way of cooking sardines and other seafood typical of the south of Spain.

Interesting.  We cook "ayu" (sweetfish) the same way.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2021, 23:46:05 »
Interesting, I've never seeing anywhere else. Do you have and image?  :)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2021, 23:49:56 »
Intriguing image, Birna.  Is the stem translucent?  I think I can see some internal structure.  Does "scale bar 1mm" mean that the scale is 1cm long end to end?

The stem is not very transparent, but one can get the impression of internal structures. There are hyaline "peltate" scales on the stem as well.

The scale bar is 1mm overall (1000 µm) divided in 1/100 steps. 1 step = 10µm. The entire frame was 7.2mm in width (5X, remember), but I cropped the image slightly.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2021, 00:36:36 »
Interesting, I've never seeing anywhere else. Do you have and image?  :)

Here are some links.  Click thumbnails to enlarge.  :)

https://www.mr-cook.net/japanese/komochiayu.php

https://www.sk-michinoeki.jp/gourmet/611

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B07VQ5GXDG

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2021, 00:37:58 »
The stem is not very transparent, but one can get the impression of internal structures. There are hyaline "peltate" scales on the stem as well.

The scale bar is 1mm overall (1000 µm) divided in 1/100 steps. 1 step = 10µm. The entire frame was 7.2mm in width (5X, remember), but I cropped the image slightly.

Thank you, Birna, for the technical details.  The details of the plant looks amazing!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2021, 00:42:27 »
Thank you Akira. It is very very similar  ;)

Ashlandish

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2021, 03:18:56 »
Paco and Akira,

These images of fish cooking beside a fire bring back fond memories of kayak-camping and friendships in Hokkaido long ago--friends cooking their catch on sticks beside a driftwood fire, listening to the evening waves, moths dive-bombing and perishing in the flames, and later the brilliant stars as the sky darkened. The older I become the more frequently images bring back memory and appreciation. Appreciate the image Paco...
Tim Becraft

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2021, 12:04:26 »
My pleasure and thank you for such emotional comment. If it helped a memory lane, I consider the image a big success.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2021, 13:14:21 »
Paco and Akira,

These images of fish cooking beside a fire bring back fond memories of kayak-camping and friendships in Hokkaido long ago--friends cooking their catch on sticks beside a driftwood fire, listening to the evening waves, moths dive-bombing and perishing in the flames, and later the brilliant stars as the sky darkened. The older I become the more frequently images bring back memory and appreciation. Appreciate the image Paco...

It is nice to know that you enjoyed your trip to Hokkaido.  And thank you for sharing your pleasant memories.