Author Topic: Z fc - the thread  (Read 30569 times)

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z fc - the thread
« Reply #255 on: October 27, 2022, 23:20:13 »
 Is it recommended that I update the latest firmware  version? My Zfc still has the V1.0 firmware in it

Keep shooting,
Bern

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #256 on: October 27, 2022, 23:24:22 »
Yes, definitively.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #257 on: October 28, 2022, 17:27:57 »
Well, since I only use Manual lenses, and since my inheritors have stated that they only have interest in photographic equipment called iPhones, I have to take a "What ,me worry. . . . " attitude and gift my Df and all the f lenses to my grand daughter, in the hope it will spark an interest in the best camera ever created. I doubt there will be any interest in the little ZfC except for my  newish Voigtlander f1.2 lens.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2022, 16:49:39 »
Birna, if you can forgive my Q crashing, in late June you said,"As a consequence, the aperture ring on the lens should be locked to the minimum value.(toothpick technology) Does this apply to users of the Voigtlander Z f1.2 lens also?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2022, 17:05:35 »
No. None of the "native" Z lenses require this. The Voigtländer 35mm f/1.2 and the Viltrox lenses will set aperture directly if you rotate the aperture ring. They *can* be set to the minimum value (labelled A on the Viltrox) if you really insist  to use the camera dial, though.

However, all F-mount lenses mounted via the FTZ/FTZ II  require setting aperture to the minimum otherwise the camera will indicate an error. That is, unless you 'fool' the camera using the 'toothpick' technology described earlier.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #260 on: October 31, 2022, 23:43:51 »
Thank you, Birna; I presumed that, but we users just do not know what market share struggles are going on behind the scenes.

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #261 on: November 01, 2022, 07:48:58 »
After a few days using the Zfc, it feels substantially lighter than my D600. I now see the reason behind reviewers mentioning it as "too plasticky"

The Nikon Zfc-GR1/ grip has a thumb rest at the back making handling better than a bare Zfc. Its not as substantial as DSLR design though but good enough to improve handling. Third party grip (JJC or Smallrig) does not seem to have this thumb rest.

A non-Panda Z fc -- nice :)

However, you do need to handle the camera differently from the now ubiquitous DSLR designs based on a protruding thumb rest, which the Z fc lacks. As hands differ between people, each has to find their best way of interfacing hands and camera. I feel very comfortable using the Z fc and in that respect it reminds of the Df.
Keep shooting,
Bern

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Re: Z fc - the thread (Firmware Update 1.30)
« Reply #262 on: December 04, 2022, 12:41:53 »
A few days ago, the v.1.30 firmware update was published

Anyone interested, look here: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/472.html

What has been added and/or corrected is (I copy/paste from the above indicated page):

• [Save focus position] and [Recall focus position] have been added to the roles that can be assigned using Custom Setting f2 [Custom controls (shooting)] in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU]. As of November 29, 2022, these options were supported with the following lenses:
        - NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S
        - NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S
        - NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S
        - NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S
        - NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S
    • The behavior of autofocus during memory recall has been improved to ensure that the focus position will not change in any focus mode even if the shutter-release button is pressed halfway while focus recall is in progress.
    • During remote photography with the ML-L7, the camera will now focus with every shot taken with [AF-C] selected for [Focus mode] if [Release] is chosen for Custom Setting a1 [AF-C priority selection] in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU].
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes resulted in the settings selected for Custom Setting f2 [Custom controls (shooting)] in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] not performing as expected in user settings modes.
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2023, 11:51:58 »
If I may, I want to thank you all for a very informative, indeed enjoyable, discussion thus far. (Yes, I've read all of it to this point.)

Like many others, I, too, have been exploring small-ish alternatives to my geriatric Dx bodies and relatively younger Fx camera. For no more reason, then there are occasions I desire something less conspicuous or intrusive. I'm not too concerned about scuffing the cathedral floor and weight is not an issue. But space can be, especially if trying to squeeze a laptop and a "weekend" into the same, unobtrusive, bag. Admittedly, I am also charmed by the retro "panda" designs, not least of all for how well they (or it) purportedly behave with vintage lenses as well as some of the newer purpose-built "glass" coming out of Asia. (And bulls-eye on that point, Birna!)

Again, thanks to all of you for aiding me in keeping my head on my shoulders; my wallet in my pocket.

Gerhard2006

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #264 on: April 07, 2023, 08:08:26 »
I have heard that the ZFC although not having a dial with U1and U2 built into it has these settings buried in the menus? Is this true? Does the Z FC still have these functions available although night with a dial? This is a great thread. Thanks for the all the information regards Gerry.