Author Topic: End of the road for the humble DK-17M  (Read 7867 times)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Re: End of the road for the humble DK-17M
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2021, 10:55:42 »
So, the Tenpa 1.22 seems to me to be an ideal substitute for the DK-17m. I didn’t even need to change the diopter setting.

However, it comes in a box full of adapters, and has one of those ‘funny’ manuals.

For a native round Nikon eyepiece you just need the ‘golden eye’ and the rubber jacket.

One thing I did notice is the the eyepiece cover on a D4s no longer works after installing it. It may need some tweaking, but if that is the only negative point I can live with it.

But be aware that the word seems to be out that this can equal a DK-17m. Production ended many years ago, demand is there, and prices are going up!

Here in Japan the 1.3 is about ¥3,000 cheaper than the 1.22, as even Tenpa stated - only the 1.22 is suitable for glasses wearers.

My verdict is that if you really wanted a DK-17m, and can’t get one, get the 1.22 Tenpa golden eye instead. Better be quick though! ;-)

As a bonus, you can optimize family love.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2021, 17:38:54 »
David,

Perhaps B&H will come through for you, best of luck! I missed one on an auction site while I was debating the price of $80.00 or so and emailing to verify there were no scratches on the glass.

Snoogly,

Good to hear! How far off the back of the camera does it protrude? Is it the same as the DK-17m? I have placed an order so I should have one by the end of next month (slow shipping on the backs of turtles I suppose). Perhaps I should have purchased 2... Thank you for providing more information, I appreciate it.

Regards,
Tom

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 01:25:59 »
There seem to be different types, or generations, of the Tenpa 1.22. I now have both, but I measured the eBay one and can report that from the front of the rubber cover to the bottom of the thread is about 1cm. Whereas the same measurement for the dk-17m is about 1.2cm.

The other ‘generation’ of the Tenpa comes in a large flashy black box, and inside that the eyepiece is in a very fancy metal case. That version has a wrap-around rubber cover, while the eBay one has a conventional rubber cover, and a metal ring behind that (similar to the dk-17m design).

I have no idea how much (if at all) the optics of the Tenpa changed over the generations - but I think beggars can’t be choosers now, and we have to happy with whatever we can get!

To me, there are no real differences in use between the Nikon and the Tenpa, other than with the Tenpa I can’t close the eye piece cover on a D4s.

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2021, 00:51:17 »
Snoogly,

It arrived! It seems that my Tenpa is the one with the large black box and it seems to screw too far into the D3 body. I removed it as I need to run for some errands and I do not want to scratch anything. It seemed I was unable to open the eyepiece cover by pressing the lever. Perhaps the threads on mine are too deep and yes the manual "funny" for sure!  ;D

Regards,
Tom

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2021, 01:46:37 »
Mine is the same on a D4s. But my ‘issue’ is that I can’t close the eyepiece, which I can live with. Try screwing it on with the eyepiece open ;-)

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2021, 03:27:50 »
Snoogly,

I have a nitrile O-ring kit and selected one smaller than the diameter required, stretched it into place and that allows it to seat firmly and allow the eyepiece cover to operate normally. I am sure the offset distance may cause some issue but I was able to dial in my diopter. I am curious if you are able to see the exposure indicator on the far right of the VF easily or if you have to nudge your head to the left slightly to see it. I believe I have always had to ever since I have been shooting, but all in all - the Tenpa seems to work well!

Regards,
Tom

Dane

• NG Member
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2022, 15:36:18 »
When I realized my move to Fujifilm (X-Pro3) was not the right move for my photography hobby and decided to switch back to my beloved Nikon Df, I was
surely not prepared on not finding any DK-17m in the market anymore (End of 21).

In the end lucky me realized that even though I sold my Df with the DK-17m, my father didn't when he moved from D700 to D750 and still had it in his photo-box :)

I guess you can understand my feelings then :)

A Nikon Df, bought to be used only with manual focus lenses WITHOUT the DK-17m would have been a total different story.
Ever since, I am trying to find a "backup" - without success so far :(

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2022, 16:35:00 »
I have had the same trouble and managed to find a second hand one and repurposed one from and older camera of mine.

New ones are scarcer than rocking horse pooh!

When I realized my move to Fujifilm (X-Pro3) was not the right move for my photography hobby and decided to switch back to my beloved Nikon Df, I was
surely not prepared on not finding any DK-17m in the market anymore (End of 21).

In the end lucky me realized that even though I sold my Df with the DK-17m, my father didn't when he moved from D700 to D750 and still had it in his photo-box :)

I guess you can understand my feelings then :)

A Nikon Df, bought to be used only with manual focus lenses WITHOUT the DK-17m would have been a total different story.
Ever since, I am trying to find a "backup" - without success so far :(
Hugh Gunn

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2022, 19:09:53 »
Unless I am missing something, i just saw several on Ebay or is this a special kind? I may even have some around here.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Dane

• NG Member
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2022, 20:04:54 »
I only find one in GB (unfortunately non-EU now…) and one in Japan …

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2022, 21:59:40 »
The Tenpa magnifier is a reasonable alternative.

Though also no longer made.

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2022, 23:13:00 »
A couple weeks ago B&H had the dk-17/+1 and purchased one. The ocular center is spot on.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2022, 20:30:25 »
One used, like new in box for sales in my area :D

constantinos

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2023, 18:28:06 »
Anyone selling an excess eyepiece? Please??  ;) :D :D :D