Author Topic: End of the road for the humble DK-17M  (Read 7860 times)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Re: End of the road for the humble DK-17M
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 06:49:41 »
How long before a helpful passer-by stops to ask you if you knew that one of the lenses in your glasses has fallen out?
 ;D

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 08:56:59 »
It's not easy!
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 21:40:29 »
I was recently looking for one as I believe I'd sold mine (it's been a long time). I am regretting that a bit more now... or my inability to figure out what I did with it. The price I was able to locate was around $100.00 USD on an auction site.  :(

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 22:28:55 »
It's not easy!

I thought, wait... did they release another Terminator LOL.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 12:58:27 »
Same problem here in Australia.  There are much less expensive Chinese made alternatives that I am now looking at.

Maybe once I have undergone cataract surgery in 12 months time I will be in better personal optical shape - that is COVID-19 not withstanding!
Hugh Gunn

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 20:30:57 »
I tried some of the alternatives in the past, but none proved to be a worthy substitute for the DK-17m. I will see if I can find them, and write my opinion about them. Though their sticking out too far is an issue I distinctly remember. This made the camera hard to carry, and hard to squeeze into a bag.

I am awaiting delivery of another used DK-17m! A bargain at only $70!  :( :( :(

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 22:45:28 »
I must have said this before but: Someone needs to make a DK-17M replacement with a Fresnel lens element so it can be used by most eyeglass wearers.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 23:54:17 »
I must have said this before but: Someone needs to make a DK-17M replacement with a Fresnel lens element so it can be used by most eyeglass wearers.

Dave

A Nikongear Kickstarter project?  ;)

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 22:59:49 »
A Nikongear Kickstarter project?  ;)

I like that idea  ;D

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2021, 05:54:31 »
+1

(From he with bad close up eyesight!)

I like that idea  ;D
Hugh Gunn

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2021, 06:06:24 »
Just an FYI; I just received an email from Adorama, they cancelled my back order stating the manufacturer has notified them the product has been discontinued.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2021, 06:56:40 »
I am sure I tried one in the past, but I forgot. Anyway, I ordered a 1.22 Tenpa Golden Eye.

This must be the must stupid and butt ignorant stoopid of any of the recent discontinue 'policies.'

Many jump to defend Nikon, but things like this show me that are a ship without a rudder. Bring out a new trendy Z camera with a hipster round viewfinder (no thread), and at the same time stop making a round eyepiece of massive use.

Unforgivable.

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 16:53:59 »
Snoogly,

I was able to locate the 1.22 Tenpa Golden Eye on ebay for ~$90.00 USD. Is that what the generally go for? How is the quality compared to the Nikon DK-17M? If you are not sure, I would appreciate letting me know when you receive yours, if you are so inclined.  ;D

I gave up long ago on trying to figure out Nikon and many other companies for that matter. Like Honda and their terrible seats for instance  :o. The writing is on the wall it appears, the mirrorless systems wont be threaded because you can zoom in and they are killing off the small things now and focusing on the production of those systems and accessories.

Regards,
Tom

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 18:04:01 »
Just an FYI; I just received an email from Adorama, they cancelled my back order stating the manufacturer has notified them the product has been discontinued.

I also received an email from Adorama stating that my order was canceled due to Nikon discontinuing the product. I have one on order at B&H that hasn't been cancelled as yet. I placed the orders hoping there was a tiny chance that additional Nikon DK-17M(s) might be found. I had very low expectations that either Adorama or B&H would have product to fill my orders.

Much worse is probable coming soon for Nikon and Nikon customers.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 18:28:29 »
Snoogly,

I was able to locate the 1.22 Tenpa Golden Eye on ebay for ~$90.00 USD. Is that what the generally go for? How is the quality compared to the Nikon DK-17M? If you are not sure, I would appreciate letting me know when you receive yours, if you are so inclined.  ;D

I gave up long ago on trying to figure out Nikon and many other companies for that matter. Like Honda and their terrible seats for instance  :o. The writing is on the wall it appears, the mirrorless systems wont be threaded because you can zoom in and they are killing off the small things now and focusing on the production of those systems and accessories.

Regards,
Tom

I ordered mine a few days ago, but I will report when it arrives. It is also available from Amazon in Japan, but at a higher cost.

Ironically the higher magnification one (1.3) is a lot cheaper - but nobody wants that one as it has issues.