Author Topic: AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED discontinued  (Read 4233 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED discontinued
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 22:04:56 »
Nikon is gambling in a seriously disrupted world economy. Those who continue to get information from legacy sources have little idea. If the AF-S 60mm f/2.8G ED Micro-Nikkor isn't selling in sufficient quantities Nikon has little choice but to discontinue its manufacture.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 23:57:44 »
So far we don't know the reason - and that the sales are the reason.  So far I am not convinced that the AF-S 60 mm F/2,8 Micro is the worst selling Nikon lens.
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2021, 11:42:43 »
So far we don't know the reason - and that the sales are the reason.  So far I am not convinced that the AF-S 60 mm F/2,8 Micro is the worst selling Nikon lens.

No doubt it has been one of the best-selling professional-grade Nikkors but they just introduced new Z 50 mm macro and they seem to be softly forcing buyers to Z. I don't like being lied to by an important partner and previously only in 2017 Nikon had said they will continue developing both mirrorless and DSLR technologies. It doesn't look like that. It looks like they will do their best to make F products less appealing by cutting down the lens line and leaving out important features from the new DSLR cameras (D780 no vertical grip, no Multi-CAM 20k or 37k; D6: no on-sensor PDAF) and then by default cause its failure. These are unforced errors.

If Nikon want to succeed, they need to make each product as good as they can possibly make it. Anything else won't work in the current competitive landscape.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2021, 11:51:13 »
No doubt it has been one of the best-selling professional-grade Nikkors but they just introduced new Z 50 mm macro and they seem to be softly forcing buyers to Z. I don't like being lied to by an important partner and previously only in 2017 Nikon had said they will continue developing both mirrorless and DSLR technologies. It doesn't look like that. It looks like they will do their best to make F products less appealing by cutting down the lens line and leaving out important features from the new DSLR cameras (D780 no vertical grip, no Multi-CAM 20k or 37k; D6: no on-sensor PDAF) and then by default cause its failure. These are unforced errors.

If Nikon want to succeed, they need to make each product as good as they can possibly make it. Anything else won't work in the current competitive landscape.

I totally agree. And it does not even need to be true, it is sufficient that Nikon leaves room for the impression that they have got an agenda like that. This amongst other things is what i call bad management.
Wolfgang Rehm

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2021, 22:25:37 »
Now that the New Z MIcro nikkor 105 is expected to be delayed it even makes more sense to discontinue the F micro Nikkor 60 in advance (irony)
Wolfgang Rehm

Daniel Bliss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2021, 23:46:17 »
Just went on B&H and now it shows as backordered.

I simply can't imagine Nikon discontinuing this lens at this point. It's one of the very last F-mount lenses they should be thinking about discontinuing, from the looks of things better than its mirrorless Z counterpart and indeed maybe the best standard macro lens out there for 35mm format. If I were to be totally ruthless on F mount and strip it down to ten lenses, the 60 would be one of them. It should be the first choice standard lens in Nikon.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2021, 07:08:59 »
With my trusty 55mm f/2.8 micro Nikkor having become inoperable due to the oily diaphragm disease, I managed to pick up a new 60mm f/2.8G as part of a COVID-19 inspired discount sale.  So far only used the 60mm for slide copying, but it certainly works well in that capacity.
Hugh Gunn

Bernard Delley

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 14:42:08 »
This Nikon site lists a bunch of lenses as still current.   https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/f-mount/  It site also has a section "product archive" with obviously discontinued lenses. Maybe this original Nikon site is just not up to date with all details. It certainly shows recently released lenses like the  AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR .

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 17:49:44 »
This Nikon site lists a bunch of lenses as still current.   https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/f-mount/  It site also has a section "product archive" with obviously discontinued lenses. Maybe this original Nikon site is just not up to date with all details. It certainly shows recently released lenses like the  AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR .

Nikon discontinued its AIS and D-series lenses last year (Nikongear thread), yet they are shown as current on the link above. I think that page has not been updated.

Bernard Delley

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 09:32:05 »
Nikon discontinued its AIS and D-series lenses last year (Nikongear thread), yet they are shown as current on the link above. I think that page has not been updated.

Thanks !  I am almost shocked to already see the AF-S 16-80mm f/2.8-4 on the discontinued list:  a core  lens for an excellent DX DSLR travel kit goes out the window.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2021, 09:43:38 »
Thanks !  I am almost shocked to already see the AF-S 16-80mm f/2.8-4 on the discontinued list:  a core  lens for an excellent DX DSLR travel kit goes out the window.

In my region, it seems to be in stock both by itself and as kit with the D7500, so it's still possible to acquire one.