Author Topic: AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED discontinued  (Read 4227 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED discontinued
« on: June 15, 2021, 00:26:38 »
As announced here

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/06/12/nikon-continues-to-discontinue-nikkor-f-mount-lenses.aspx/

the smaller (and imho better) one of the just two remaining Micro Nikkors is listed as discontinued. I dont know whether this is temporary (no capacity for doing new production runs right now) or persistent- but it's nothing too good for Nikons reputation.
Despite the claims for still supporting the F-mount lines (and announcments to bring new lenses) we currently face the situation that only one (the ambiguous 105 mm VR micro Nikkor) can beaquired new - both for the F and the Z system. The New Z-mount lenses aren't available yet (and are unusable for an SLR). That is very little for system that still contains tons of lenses in other categories and once used co contain 55mm/60mm, 105 mm, 200 mm and a 70-180mm Micro Nikkor (not to talk about the UV-Micro)
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED discontinued
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 07:15:43 »
45 mm and 85 mm PC E Micros should still be available as new and possibly one of two of the Ai-S Micros.

The 60 mm is currently available in stock in stores, so one can still get this excellent lens new.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 08:38:21 »
45 mm and 85 mm PC E Micros should still be available as new and possibly one of two of the Ai-S Micros.

The 60 mm is currently available in stock in stores, so one can still get this excellent lens new.

The AF-D 60/2.8 Micro-Nikkor is a screwdriver focus lens so it's not surprising that it is being discontinued. I own the non-D version and can recommend it. Buy it while you can.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Stephan

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon since 1977
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 08:47:13 »
The AF-D was discontinued a long time ago.

Now the AF-S is now also discontinued, so no more F-Mount 60mm Micro/Macros from Nikon anymore!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 08:56:03 »
The AF-D was discontinued a long time ago.

Now the AF-S is now also discontinued, so no more F-Mount 60mm Micro/Macros from Nikon anymore!

Neither 60mm Micro-Nikkors are listed as discontinued on the Nikon USA site. Both are listed as "back ordered" at B&H photo, NY.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Stephan

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon since 1977
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 09:20:37 »
There are obviously regional discrepancies.
In Germany the AF-D disappeared from the Nikon.de site long time ago. The AF-S is still listed as available.
Some dealers in Germany (actual 3) are still "selling" the AF-D, but all lists them as "delivery in 7-30 days or 1-3 months".

I have never seen from Nikon Germany an official announcement of discontinuation for any product....they seem just to disappear from their site...

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 11:50:52 »
AF-D lenses went away without making much fuss. Some designs never made it into the AFS era, for example, the twin DC-Nikkors 105 & 135.

As long as manual focus works, I for one don't care whether the Micro-Nikkor lens in question is AF/AF-D or AFS as I never use these with AF anyway. Currently I have two (well-worn) copies of the AF-D 60/2.8 nd that'll do for now. Actually I prefer them to the longer 100/105/125 lenses for some applications, such as shooting verticals on my Multiphot stands.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 14:22:43 »
My 60mm AF-S was originally bought to use with the Nikon ES-2 Digitizer to copy slides and negatives.  Results were uniformly excellent in my opinion.  Since then, I've used it occasionally as a long normal lens and I've also been happy with the results. 

I'm a dinosaur.  I love Nikon's DSLRs.  My past experiences with mirrorless EVF cameras have been universally disappointing.  I'm not interested in video and that is now the emphasis with stills being secondary.  It's sad to see Nikon move on but that's the nature of technology and business.  I'm old.  I already own a lot of Nikon cameras and lenses and, happily, there's more than enough used Nikon product out there to keep me going.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 16:02:44 »
I forgot the PC Lenses namedly the 85 mm in my list - which does not change the message.
Maybe it is a temporary discontinuation, and yes it might be available new here and there, and there is a huge second hand market so one can workaround, I got a copy for myself and need to take even more care of it now. If that is policy then it is more than questionable. Nikon F system is losing a part that belongs to the lenses that are of more need and usefulness compared to others. (and yes - though close-up workis of broad interest Macro lenses are evidently not the main focus of Nikon - showed by the fact that there are no more extension rings for G and E lenses, no modern bellows and much more)
Wolfgang Rehm

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 16:44:05 »
The availability of these items from Nikon itself is a definite gap in the modern Nikon-F product line up.  It will be interesting to see whether any such items will be available from Nikon for the Nikon-Z series or whether it will be left to other vendors.  Sadly the quality from third party vendors is often less than good - Novoflex and just a few others excepted.

"(and yes - though close-up workis of broad interest Macro lenses are evidently not the main focus of Nikon - showed by the fact that there are no more extension rings for G and E lenses, no modern bellows and much more)"
Hugh Gunn

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 17:17:08 »
It does feel strange that Nikon do not provide a complete line of accessories for close-up photography. I guess it may be that with DX such a small subject can be photographed in detail at 1:1 that more magnification has become a niche where Nikon do not operate. That the new 105 mm MC does not accept the Z TCs suggests that they think going beyond 1:1 is not necessary.

I use the 85mm PC-E and 200mm f/4D AF Micro as my main field lenses for close-up photography. I also have bellows devices and duplication lenses and the 120 mm AM Nikkor which I use with tilt/shift bellows sometimes, but not often enough! I guess the main reason for not using them often is the added weight and space requirements of the bellows system as well as lack of protection from elements. The 85 and 200 get the most field time. Neither is a perfect lens but they fit my applications very well. I usually also work in manual focus with close-up photography but sometimes use AF.

I am glad to see Nikon produce a very high-quality 105 mm macro for the Z system. But in my opinion they are too hasty to discontinue F-mount products. I do not want to work with EVFs and will take precautions against having to do so. I enjoy the rich lens system of the F mount and also the nuances of the different lenses with different rendering styles.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 18:05:18 »
Its not good for a company that is struggling to cause unneeded dissatisfaction amongst their users.
I have got a Z6 and two Z lenses and  placed a pre- order for te Z-Micro Nikkor 105 mm, but this can just accompany my F-mount system and not  replace it.
I agree that they are too hasty and putting the wrong emphasis within their discontinuation. I want to feel comfortable and not get the impression that their system implodes in  a (self fulfilling) close- down stampede.
There were times when nikon produced Macro lenses, now there is nothing similar tothe Canon 65 mm and nothing for beyond 1:1 and Laowa fills the hole.

I have got more gear than i can use frequently but it is fine to vary and pick up different lenses for different purposes
Wolfgang Rehm

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 18:39:12 »
Here in the U.S., B&H and Adorama list it as backordered, Amazon doesn't have it new, KEH doesn't have it in stock used, and two out of three local camera stores I checked don't have it.  I don't know whether it's been out of stock for a while or if remaining supplies were snapped up quickly once news got out.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 20:03:58 »
MPB in the US lists 9 used 60/2.8 G lenses for sale in varying conditions and prices.  They've been a good source for my second hand camera/lens buying for a couple of years. 
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 09:05:23 »
want to feel comfortable and not get the impression that their system implodes in a (self fulfilling) close- down stampede.

I think a lot of people would like to continue using DSLRs and F-mount equipment but people might feel afraid to spend money on new F-mount gear at this point which then makes it appear like a transition accelerated. However, in the case of the 60 mm AF-S, a lot of those lenses were made so the second hand availability should continue to be good. It's an internal focusing lens so should be pretty robust.

In the longer-term future those of us using DSLRs just have to consider second hand market as the primary source of some items.