Author Topic: micro-nikkor Z  (Read 22439 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: micro-nikkor Z
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2021, 16:15:39 »
If it is possible for a fly by wire focus lens to behave like one with helicoid for manual focusing.

I hope this is more clear

You left the "IF" out in the first one, which made me think there is some way it is possible, when I know there is not. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

ianwatson

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2021, 16:18:11 »
At least some Fuji bodies allow the choice between a linear response, like the manual lenses of old, and a response which depends on the speed one turns the ring. It would be nice if Nikon gave us something like that. It should be possible to do in firmware.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2021, 16:32:45 »
Not sure what this is saying. Can anyone explain please?

The Z lenses (apart from the manual focus Noct) have accelerated manual focusing where if you move the ring slowly, the focus moves very slowly and if you move it faster, the relationship between the turn of the ring and the actual focus distance change changes so that the focus changes faster. It's a bit like accelerated mouse function where the position of the mouse on the pad or desk is not representative of where the cursor is, as faster movements move the cursor at higher relative speeds.

Some people (including myself) would like a custom function in the camera which would turn off this kind of acceleration so that the ring position and focus position would be mapped to each other in a rigorous and reproducible way. Sony have implemented this option when using some of their newer lenses.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2021, 18:14:33 »
The Z lenses (apart from the manual focus Noct) have accelerated manual focusing where if you move the ring slowly, the focus moves very slowly and if you move it faster, the relationship between the turn of the ring and the actual focus distance change changes so that the focus changes faster. It's a bit like accelerated mouse function where the position of the mouse on the pad or desk is not representative of where the cursor is, as faster movements move the cursor at higher relative speeds.

Some people (including myself) would like a custom function in the camera which would turn off this kind of acceleration so that the ring position and focus position would be mapped to each other in a rigorous and reproducible way. Sony have implemented this option when using some of their newer lenses.

That's my question and even further, with no physical constrains, if it is possible to offer lineal, accelerated, short throw, double or triple throw for precision, etc...

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2021, 11:29:27 »
That's my question and even further, with no physical constrains, if it is possible to offer lineal, accelerated, short throw, double or triple throw for precision, etc...

In theory it's a matter of programming but only Nikon know whether they implemented the control of the focusing in such a way that these options can be provided in the future via firmware updates. Currently these options are not available.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2021, 11:55:44 »
Thank you

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2021, 20:55:15 »
So there is still some chance to get a Micro-Nikkor that is stellar (something in the CV 125 mm direction) and more than decent and not just something similar like the F-mount 105 mm VR is. (Well there are more ED elements and an aspheric element). If so the price is rather low. Sample images appear to show that  there is a very good bokeh, we still dont know about chromatic aberration behavior.
Must shine on this inner values because Canon announced a mirrorless 100 mm Macro lens with 1,4:1 magnification ratio and an extra ring for modifying spheric aberration so  and gives the impressions that their mirrorless lens programm is more innovative and more surprising than the Nikon Z roadmap. Nikon could have done some Macro DC lens as well despite just disconinuing their two DC screwdriver lenses.
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2021, 11:59:39 »
I agree, a DC feature would have been nice, however I must say that the DC ring was of very limited use/effect when the lens is used wide open or close to, on the 105mm AF-D f/2
Considering it's half the price of a used CV APO Lanthar 125mm f/2.5 and build quality is probably much much higher, it will be very interesting to see how it fares.

Erik Lund

thirtyfivemill

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • THIRTYFIVEMILL.COM
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2021, 21:44:07 »
Not personally excited about these two. They'd need to be optically on a new level to what is currently available to peak my interest, so we'll see. Otherwise 99% of my macro work is manual everything anyways and there are so many great options for little money. I'm currently using my Asahi Pentax Takumar 1:1 50mm f/4 with the Z6.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2021, 22:35:35 »
Not personally excited about these two. They'd need to be optically on a new level to what is currently available to peak my interest, so we'll see. Otherwise 99% of my macro work is manual everything anyways and there are so many great options for little money. I'm currently using my Asahi Pentax Takumar 1:1 50mm f/4 with the Z6.

I understand what you are saying here. I have a lot of macro lenses, but I don't have any that have autofocus that I will use. I have the older Nikkor 105 VR macro, but it is not corrected well enough for me. THe MTF for the 105 Z Macro look well enough corrected, so we will see. As mentioned, I would like ONE lenses that is AF that has the quality of say the CV125.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2021, 00:26:56 »
I agree, a DC feature would have been nice, however I must say that the DC ring was of very limited use/effect when the lens is used wide open or close to, on the 105mm AF-D f/2
Considering it's half the price of a used CV APO Lanthar 125mm f/2.5 and build quality is probably much much higher, it will be very interesting to see how it fares.

@Erik: I would not overestimate this DC feature, the 200/2 is better bokeh-wise than the two DC lenses, just wanted to point out some things that are influential on what people think about  a specificbrand
I would prefer to pay the double price and get a superior lens. On the other hand the new Z Micro Nikkor is in the same price range the  CV APO Lanthar 125mm f/2.5 was, when it was still offered new.

I am using the CV125 and it is on a level on its own (esp Bokeh, apochromatic correction and sharpness) and it still makes me very excited.
Nevertheless i would love to have a Z-lens that is as good or even better, has improved build quality AND Autofocus

Over long years I was convinced that autofocus is not needed at all for macro-lenses  until I started to discover the field of fast action closeups of fast moving subjects like insects and my eyesight did not get better either.
Wolfgang Rehm

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2021, 04:26:12 »
Over long years I was convinced that autofocus is not needed at all for macro-lenses  until I started to discover the field of fast action closeups of fast moving subjects like insects and my eyesight did not get better either.

AF-S and VR increase my odds with the current AF-S 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Micro-Nikkor. I do not like that I have to use Axial color aberration correction on every photograph taken with this lens. I don't like the size, the bulk of the lens. It's what I have. VR is useful for close-up when you can't use a tripod.

For candid portraits I'd like a AF-S 105/1.8G or E IF-ED but this will never happen. I hope the new 105mm micro in Z mount will be better corrected for color aberrations.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2021, 08:45:22 »
Completely agree that the 200mm AF-S f/2 is superior to DC, it's just so large and heavy,,,

Up close the CV APO Lanthar 125mm f/2.5 does show CA, this we will see if the new Micro-Nikkor can outperform.

Comparison to the 85mm f/1.8 S-line will be interesting since they are so close in focal length. So far CA has been very suppressed for this lens on the Z7.

The other big question is how well is the focus by wire implemented; I guess it depends on the case at hand, light etc. we will see ;)

BTW I'll make sure also to test the new Micro-Nikkor 105mm in Infrared also
Erik Lund

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2021, 16:35:35 »
The new 105 looks very promising regarding color correction with metal objects. That was always a bit of an issue with all micro lenses I had. But I wonder if anyone around here has tried the Voigtlander 110 for Sony E on the Nikon Z? How does it stack up against the CV 125?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2021, 16:46:37 »
The new 105 looks very promising regarding color correction with metal objects. That was always a bit of an issue with all micro lenses I had. But I wonder if anyone around here has tried the Voigtlander 110 for Sony E on the Nikon Z? How does it stack up against the CV 125?

I have the 110 Voigtlander for Sony with an adapter and it is nice enough, yet I like the 65mm Voigtlander better and if fact I'm not using either of them all that much. The CV125 is still the walkaround macro lens to measure against, IMO.I am hoping the new Nikon 105 s will be the one.