Author Topic: micro-nikkor Z  (Read 21739 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: micro-nikkor Z
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2021, 11:10:57 »
What is the focus throw on each of these lenses?  How APO are they? So, the 50mmis not an “S” lens? Are there any MTF charts available yet?

MTF chart shown for the 105 mm:

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_mc105mmf28_vr_s/spec.htm

and for the 50 mm:

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_mc50mmf28/spec.htm

Pretty dramatic improvement in detail shown in the Ricci video for the 105 mm as well as the Nikon MTF chart.

However, it appears the 50 mm is not quite as good MTF-wise in the outer parts of the frame than the 60 mm AF-S. There is also astigmatism. Although one should note here that Nikon MTFs are for infinity focus, it may be a different situation in the close-up range. I think maybe Nikon thought about DX Z users when designing the new 50.

I think this is quite smart from Nikon as a lot of the customer drive towards mirrorless was to get more compact and lighter weight kit, and offering lenses that conform to this is essential - having a compact body like the Z50 is pointless if the lenses available make it large or out of balance. The 28 mm, 40 mm and 50 mm should all be good fits for compact DX and FX camera bodies and something fun to walk around with. The 16-50 mm DX is very compact and highly reviewed for a lens of its class but the aperture is limiting its use.

jag

• NG Supporter
  • I am
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2021, 11:41:53 »
Prices in Norway:
Japanphoto.no
  • MC 105, 11990,-
  • MC 50, 7790,-

Not bad at all, I will go for the 105. Hopefully it will be available soon.
/Jan

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2021, 12:28:10 »
Still like to know what kind of focus does it have, the focus-by-wire or standard focus?

The MTF chart, at least for the 105mm looks really good.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2021, 12:43:41 »
105mm Micro Nikkor S is fly by wire focus motors, at least two motors.
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2021, 12:59:28 »
the focus mechanism is impressive, this is something no repairer could successfully overhaul without special equipment :o :o :o

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2021, 13:39:45 »
The 105 Micro just became available for pre-order at my usual dealer's and now there should be one for me as soon as the lens arrives to Norway.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2021, 13:56:01 »
The 105 Micro just became available for pre-order at my usual dealer's and now there should be one for me as soon as the lens arrives to Norway.
do you know when? :o :o :o

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2021, 14:14:43 »
"...Optimized for macro and close-up works...". Any info about the optical formula? 16 elements, but is there any floating group to compensate for infinity? Older 105 is very poor in this respect, so what about the new one? THX, LZ.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2021, 14:24:36 »
I have ordered both the 50mm and the 105mm from B&H, where I can always send it back if it is not "special" enough.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2021, 14:27:01 »
"...Optimized for macro and close-up works...". Any info about the optical formula? 16 elements, but is there any floating group to compensate for infinity? Older 105 is very poor in this respect, so what about the new one? THX, LZ.

The Nikon MTF's have been calculated for infinity so it should perform excellently also at long distances judging from the published curves.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2021, 15:08:36 »
The Nikon MTF's have been calculated for infinity so it should perform excellently also at long distances judging from the published curves.
     Thank you, Ilkka! I hope so!  LZ

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2021, 17:17:46 »
do you know when? :o :o :o

From 24 June according to Nikon Europe. We'll see about that, though.

ianwatson

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2021, 19:05:23 »
I am not sure where Photography Life obtained their figures but they report the following dimensions.

50mm f/2.8: 3 inches wide by 2.6 inches long, 260 g.

105mm f/2.8: 3.4 inches wide by 5.6 inches long, 630 g.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2021, 20:06:05 »
Yes, interesting price of Eur 1.099  for the 105

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2021, 20:12:24 »
Someone needs to tell Nikon that the sub-units for feet are inches and that there are 12 of them per foot not tenths or hundreths. IMHO, it would have been better to show the working distance in mm on the end (nose) of the new 50 MC. This new lens reminds me of the Canon 50 compact macro for the EF mount which I have - a sharp lens with a "stone-age" AF motor. Using it for underwater photography it cannot be configured to use both AF and MF on a single scuba dive, it is one or the other.