Author Topic: Nikon 100th anniversary cameras & lenses  (Read 11655 times)

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon 100th anniversary cameras & lenses
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 17:03:09 »
As usual, I don't get it.

What you people expect exactly. A round the clock release of new products?

I guess the D5 and D500 and 19PC and 105E and 70/200 and 24/70 just don't cut it.

And when the D5s and D500s and 820/850 come out, people are going to complain that there is no D5x or D6 or whatever.

Why are you not satisfied from what you've got?

Will you be happy if they announce a Dxxx for the Anni with a 250/1.2 G and a 70/0.9. And will you can you buy afford the stuff.

What exactly is it that you want?

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 17:20:06 »
Ethan, I would like a fish-eye for my Nikon underwater camera, AW1. For the rest I am with you, I simply have the necessary.

Plenty of folk would like to see (including myself) a titanium Df2.
Or, a 400/5.6 PF, or a 180/2.8 AF-S, etc.

So please let us dream in peace.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 17:48:43 »
Ethan, I would be happy with my current D750, but knowing the direction in which Nikon is heading for is beneficial to judge if it is worth staying with Nikon.  As for the pixel count, the current 24MP is the best compromise between the resolution and other aspects of the sensor performance and is plenty enough for my requirement.  I've seen excellent images from the now lowly 10MP D200 camera on a 4K screen (which means, the original images were even cropped to fit in the 9:16 frame!).  So, a 24MP image should look amazing even on an 8k screen.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 23:36:15 »
D5x is high on my wish list, no video but LV, just because I like the idea and handling of the H and X series D cameras.

Df Titan - is my best guess, not sure it would 'fit' me,,, Since the first time I saw a Df I honestly thought it was a real Chrome or Titan model, not the chromed-look plastic chassis it turned out to be,,,

Dsp - mirror less FX 'rangefinder' size/style, I have a Leica M9 so again would not fit me,,,

Yes I can afford a D5x and would buy it even in Gunmetal ;)

Yes indeed there is no reason really that I should demand that Nikon come up with something like the above, it's just my dreams of how Nikon could celebrate their anniversary with great style and high end technology because I like to work with nice tools.

BTW a Nikkor FL 200mm f/2,,, naaaa i guess not,,,
Erik Lund

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 08:37:44 »
Nikon's official 100th birthday is on the 25th of July, just 2 days before mine! Yay.

From what I have experienced, Nikon typically starts their "updates" from the lower level cameras. Hence why we have a D7300 rumour. It should climb up the ladder to D6x0/D7x0 replacement or what I'm hoping is a D700 replacement, and eventually reach D8x0 and D5?. I still think the D750 is just an update to the D610.

As for lenses, I'm expecting a 300/2.8 FL version and maybe an update to the already 10-year-old but still brilliant 14-24. I'd love to see them manage to make it 13-24... I'll be happy even if it's realistically a 13.4mm! That would be perfect with my Laowa 12/2.8! We may even see something amazing, such as an FX mirrorless. It's the 100th anniversary after all and Eastern Asian companies typically do take pride in it and consider it an important milestone.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 09:08:17 »
Is this a roadmap, or a wish list?   ;D

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 10:04:53 »
That's five models due for update in the very near future. Given Nikon's current woes and the market slowdown, I wonder if will continue to refresh cameras at the same rate as before.

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 10:08:48 »
Maybe I'm wrong, but from latest Nikon press releases, they will drop the four digits cameras (D7300 the last one?), and concentrate on three and one digit ones... medium/high end, as they said.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 10:16:55 »
Maybe I'm wrong, but from latest Nikon press releases, they will drop the four digits cameras (D7300 the last one?), and concentrate on three and one digit ones... medium/high end, as they said.

Pedro, I haven't heard of the news going into such a depth.  Could you provide the link to it?

If they abandon the four-digit series, Nikon would have to develop pro-grade DX lenses for D500, otherwise D500 would be a virtual x1.5 teleconverter...

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 10:28:34 »
Pedro, I haven't heard of the news going into such a depth.  Could you provide the link to it?

If they abandon the four-digit series, Nikon would have to develop pro-grade DX lenses for D500, otherwise D500 would be a virtual x1.5 teleconverter...

Akira, they didn't say like this.
I'm extrapolating their announcement on very poorer financial results and needed restructuration. On top of these they said they will concentrate on medium/high end cameras.

http://nikonrumors.com/2017/02/24/nikon-we-plan-to-concentrate-on-medium-and-high-end-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras-and-lenses.aspx/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 10:46:17 »

Here is our conversation on the 'statement'

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,5330.msg87892.html#msg87892
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 10:50:13 »
Thanks, Erik!

But my concern hasn't changed.  If they keep the high(er)-end DX line, they need to add higher-end DX lenses, which should be tough for them in this situation.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 11:02:38 »
Akira, they didn't say like this.
I'm extrapolating their announcement on very poorer financial results and needed restructuration. On top of these they said they will concentrate on medium/high end cameras.

http://nikonrumors.com/2017/02/24/nikon-we-plan-to-concentrate-on-medium-and-high-end-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras-and-lenses.aspx/

Pedro, thanks for the additional link.  Yes, you are right.

I'm still curious about the "mirrorless" segment they were referring to (FX or CX).

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 11:06:43 »

I don't think concentrating here quite means they would drop everything else; the way I read it is that they focus more of their resources on higher end products. But they've been doing that already; the D3400 is in some ways a feature-stripped model and it should not come as a surprise if it does not sell. The D5600 however seems to have Nikon's most advanced touch screen functionality, with menus and focus point controllable using touch in addition to the usual ways. I think the concept that you can use the viewfinder with your right eye and the right side of the touch screen to slide the focus point around is quite clever.

I think the D7200 is already "high end" and certainly won't be dropped.  What has been in a decline is basically the D3x00, so if they drop a product line that would likely be it.

Four new FX cameras in 2017 is just wishful thinking. I think 1-2 FX and one DX  is more realistic but of course I don't mind if they pleasantly surprise us.