Author Topic: Cataract Surgery, Lens Replacement, UV Coating or Not?  (Read 1855 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
This is about lenses, but the lenses in our eyes. It has been suggested that I have cataract surgery and receive artificial lenses in my eyes. They also offer these lenses with or without UV protection/coating or whatever. I worry that how I see color will be affected by the UC coating.

Any of you have this procedure and have an opinion about UV coatings or not having that?

Thanks.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Cataract Surgery, Lens Replacement, UV Coating or Not?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 01:06:52 »
we have gone really far as a species :o :o :o

maybe they have nano crystal coat ::)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 05:08:47 »
I wasn't offered an option in this regard for my single lens replacement.  I may have asked whether the lens would stop UV and it was my understanding that it would.  Actually, I thought UV protection was standard to protect the eye and maintain good colors.  If you can actually see UV it's not going to be quite in focus and it's going to give a bluish-white cast to things.  Here's one mention of this effect:

What does ultraviolet look like? Prof Stark possesses UV vision because he is aphakic in one eye and, with Professor Karel Tan, has published research on the nearest visible equivalent. His conclusion is that it looks whitish blue or, for some wavelengths, a whitish violet. This appears to be because the three types of colour receptor (red, green and blue) have similar sensitivity to ultraviolet, so it comes out as a mixture of all three - basically white, but slightly blue because the blue sensors are somewhat better at picking up UV.

My lens replacement went very well. The only weird thing other than great vision in one eye (I opted for distance vision) is that my other lens still has the yellow-brown cast caused by age so my two eyes see color differently.  I hope to get the other eye done this year.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 05:18:38 »
Isn't the UV-block coating preferable or even necessary to protect the retina against the UV exposure?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 05:35:36 »
Isn't the UV-block coating preferable or even necessary to protect the retina against the UV exposure?

Definitely.  I've read that the lens will stop UV below 380 nm, but without that in place UV down to 350 nm (and I suspect much more of it) can reach the retina.  The article I linked claimed that no ill effects have been seen, but in my opinion that would take more systematic investigation to confirm.  The eyes are too important to risk on a hope and an article.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 05:38:31 »
I too am facing cataract surgery in the next couple of years.

The issue of going for lenses optimised for distance versus middle distance versus closer up is one that I will need to deal with. 

As I have become long sighted with the advancing years and can now legally drive a car without spectacles, I will probably opt for lenses favouring distance vision - given that I have now already coped with this natural change/shift  in my sight.  One less thing for me to argue with the driver licencing authorities about when/if I reach eighty!

On the other hand, my wife who is a keen sewer and needle work person has opted for closer up lenses when she had both of her eyes done.  She has reported clearer overall vision and better colour perception as the result of her operations.

Michael and Bill - may I wish both of you good luck and successful outcomes with your surgeries.

My lens replacement went very well. The only weird thing other than great vision in one eye (I opted for distance vision) is that my other lens still has the yellow-brown cast caused by age so my two eyes see color differently.  I hope to get the other eye done this year.
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 05:52:22 »
Definitely.  I've read that the lens will stop UV below 380 nm, but without that in place UV down to 350 nm (and I suspect much more of it) can reach the retina.  The article I linked claimed that no ill effects have been seen, but in my opinion that would take more systematic investigation to confirm.  The eyes are too important to risk on a hope and an article.

According to the measurement by Klaus (Dr. Klaus Schmitt here), even some non-specialized lenses of multiple-optics design can transmit the wavelength well beyond 380nm.  So, a tiny singlet could easily transmit the light in that range.

Hope you and Michael to succeed in the operation!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 06:42:48 »
Hugh, thank you. I expect to opt for distance vision in my other eye so I'll have binocular distance vision.

According to the measurement by Klaus (Dr. Klaus Schmitt here), even some non-specialized lenses of multiple-optics design can transmit the wavelength well beyond 380nm.  So, a tiny singlet could easily transmit the light in that range.

Hope you and Michael to succeed in the operation!

Thank you, Akira.  It's not surprising that many lenses transmit some UV below 380 nm and that a singlet (or perhaps even a cemented doublet?) would do even better.  I expect that's something that designers of these lenses address. I've seen no untoward behavior of the vision in my eye with the artificial lens. Vision is like I remembered it before my eyes started deteriorating. There are no bluish-white halos or other unusual effects. I'm confident that comparatively little UV is getting through.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 21:28:09 »
It would be interesting to visually inspect samples of both lenses side by side under daylight. Would there be a visible color-cast?
Perhaps the heavier anti-UV filtration would be advisable for those that frequent high-altitude locations?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 00:37:11 »
Well Michael, my friend, as this is about your future vision, so one thing should be of your major concern:
UV can cause heavily degradation of your precious macula, so within a blink of an eye (pun intended) I
would opt only for UV BLOCKING LENSES as a replacement!

Actually I spoke with some people which had such operations early years ago and they cannot even come
close to a bank note checker (using UV lamps) as they see a bright irritating whiteish blue-violet light in their
eyes then - not what you would like I guess!

One of them is Prof. em. Stark who has aphakia in one eye (no lens) who could see UV and did some research
on that and was looking for people with UV vision, here is one and his experiences with UV vision:
https://www.komar.org/faq/colorado-cataract-surgery-crystalens/ultra-violet-color-glow/
formerly known as kds315

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 04:36:11 »
https://www.komar.org/faq/colorado-cataract-surgery-crystalens/ultra-violet-color-glow/

Wow!  I went to that site perhaps 15 years ago and had long since lost it.  Thanks for the link!

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 09:33:50 »
I know Alek, we exchanges quite a bit about UV vision and his experiments with Prof Stark who unfortunately passed a while ago.
Also he was a very interesting and interested person to talk to. His lab is dissolved now, also his site is gone, too bad.
formerly known as kds315

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 21:38:46 »
Regular CR39, (standard index plastic) blocks around 40% UV, uncoated. Polycarbonate will block 100% UV without any coatings. Higher index plastic have poly in their formula and it's safe to go bare surface, 1.6, 1.67, premium lenses for moderate and increased protection.

I am out of the loop, but dispensed 1000's of spectacles in my earlier life. It was and still is common practice to offer as much add-ons to create a higher commissioned sale. ( I never did well in those situations, sporting a conscious.)

Anti-reflective coating offers UV blockage, which is near 100%, but may vary with the brand used.

You also have to remember, the light shining on your eyes is not all coming through your corrective lenses. The gaps above, below and from the sides all have the room for UV rays to reach your eyes.
(Hope this helps.)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 23:21:51 »
Regular CR39, (standard index plastic) blocks around 40% UV, uncoated. Polycarbonate will block 100% UV without any coatings. Higher index plastic have poly in their formula and it's safe to go bare surface, 1.6, 1.67, premium lenses for moderate and increased protection.

I am out of the loop, but dispensed 1000's of spectacles in my earlier life. It was and still is common practice to offer as much add-ons to create a higher commissioned sale. ( I never did well in those situations, sporting a conscious.)

Anti-reflective coating offers UV blockage, which is near 100%, but may vary with the brand used.

You also have to remember, the light shining on your eyes is not all coming through your corrective lenses. The gaps above, below and from the sides all have the room for UV rays to reach your eyes.
(Hope this helps.)

Yes, that helps. Thanks.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com