Author Topic: Two Button Reset ??? ( Dissolved :)  (Read 2949 times)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Two Button Reset ??? (Solved)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 16:56:01 »
I only have a couple of lenses fine tuned, but this thread reminded me to write them down, and in the process I found an oddity in the D7100 (and I suspect others).  There is a menu entry "List Saved Values," into which one can enter a lens by number, whereupon absolutely nothing appears to happen except that the lens now has a number.  It does not actually list any values.  I  have yet to find any way other than putting the lens on that actually returns the value. 

Is there some secret list somewhere that I'm not seeing?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 21:30:11 »
There is a menu entry "List Saved Values," into which one can enter a lens by number, whereupon absolutely nothing appears to happen except that the lens now has a number.  It does not actually list any values.

I use the "List saved values" two digit number to record the last two digits of the lens serial number of the lens in my group of tuned lenses. The explanation of the "List saved values" number must be somewhere in my camera manual. A reason to enter a number might be that you own more than one copy of a lens model. I don't believe the camera knows one AF lens of a particular type (model) from another, i.e. I can enter one AF-S 50/1.8G and one AF 50/1.8 (non-D) lens but not two AF 50/1.8 (non-D) lenses. To ensure that the saved offset is valid for the lens on the camera the "List saved values" number and the actual lens serial number installed on the camera should match.

There is no way of entering the AF fine-tune offset values if the lens is not installed on the camera, at least none that I know of. Also I don't see a way of retrieving the offset value for a lens that is not on the camera. I think it best to record the offset value as soon as a lens is AF fine-tuned.

I've entered the data and made a spreadsheet with the serial numbers and offset values for my D850 AF tuned lenses. This whole affair didn't take too long. It was just a nuisance.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 03:35:39 »
I get that one can enter a special number for the lens, but I just find it odd that elsewhere the "value" is specifically referring to the fine tuning offset, but the function "list saved values" does not list them, especially since when you go into that menu, there is a space for the listed value which is always empty.   You'd think after all these years they could make it a little more useful.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 04:14:07 »
It would make more sense to me if the option was entitled "List saved lenses."
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 13:24:12 »
I get that one can enter a special number for the lens, but I just find it odd that elsewhere the "value" is specifically referring to the fine tuning offset, but the function "list saved values" does not list them, especially since when you go into that menu, there is a space for the listed value which is always empty.   You'd think after all these years they could make it a little more useful.

Right, I've been puzzled by this myself. What is the purpose of this listing, and why cannot it include the values stored?