Author Topic: Two Button Reset ??? ( Dissolved :)  (Read 2950 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Two Button Reset ??? ( Dissolved :)
« on: April 26, 2021, 03:55:01 »
“For ye suffer fools gladly, seeing ye yourselves are wise.”

What exactly does the Two Button Reset do to a Nikon D850?

What exactly does the Two Button Reset NOT do?

I just had a little “Freak Out” when I could not set my D850 to AF-C focus mode (continuous servo). I have no idea how the camera got set to AF-S focus mode (single servo) but it was set that way and I could not set it back to AF-C!

After trying various remedies none of which corrected the problem I finally tried the “Two Button Reset.” I held down the [QUAL] and [+/-] buttons until the top LCD blanked out briefly and tried again to set AF-C focus mode with no luck. I could not set the camera to AF-C! I held the AF-Mode Button and rotated the Main Command Dial and nothing! Not a damned thing! My D850 remained set to AF-S.

Now it turns out that some time ago I set f10, “Auto focus restrictions” to “AF-C” for custom settings banks A and B. For custom settings bank C I set f10, Auto focus restrictions to “OFF,” (the default) and finally for custom setting bank D I set f10 to “AF-S.” I had my camera set to custom setting bank A when I had my moment of doubt and pain so I would think this would force my D850 into AF-C mode and that I could not change it to AF-S but no it was set to AF-S and I could not change it to AF-C. The solution was to set all the custom settings banks A, B, C and D to f10, Auto focus restrictions “OFF.” Finally I was in control!

Now I’m puzzled: I thought the Two Button Reset would NUKE all Custom Settings Menu and Photo Settings Menu items and return the camera its default settings, to the state it was in when it left the factory.

Is the Two Button Reset a joke in poor taste on fools like me?  ???

What am I missing?

Dave

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.”
  :)
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Re: Two Button Reset ???
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 08:21:28 »
I recently did it on a D7100, and it only seemed to reset a limited number of settings. I can’t remember which ones, but I was also surprised that it was nothing like a factory reset.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 09:09:23 »
I recently did it on a D7100, and it only seemed to reset a limited number of settings. I can’t remember which ones, but I was also surprised that it was nothing like a factory reset.

That's what I saw and was most surprised. I looked at modified custom settings and shooting menu changes marked with a asterisk expecting all to be set to default. I expected the names of the groups for both custom and shooting menus to be reset to whatever they were before I gave them my names.

I wonder if a true factory reset is available to the consumer?

Thank you for your reply!

Dave

I mentioned "Freak Out" and "Moment of doubt and pain" because I was anticipating the need to send in my D850 for service and fearing a possible large bill.

---

I believe I found the "True" factory reset in the basement of the Setup Menu. I'll check this out later. For now let it be known I'm a coward.  :(

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 09:16:38 »

I wonder if a true factory reset is available to the consumer?

Dave

Not available to consumer.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 09:19:55 »
As always RTFM  :o :o :o Listed very precisely in the User's Manual for the D850 on page 209, 210 and 211

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/359/D850.html
Erik Lund

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 09:27:32 »
As always RTFM  :o :o :o Listed very precisely in the User's Manual for the D850 on page 209, 210 and 211

Only the biggest nerd in class would ever read such obscure pages! :-)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 09:31:22 »
Exactly  8) Looks like the reset is per 'Bank'
Erik Lund

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 09:32:43 »
Not available to consumer.

Is this just Nikon, or all the big boys?

Cameras are bought and sold second hand on a regular basis, everyone knows that. More so than computers and mobile phones. I hate Apple, but I rely on them, and one thing I respect is the way you can easily reset everything to zero when you sell a device to someone.

It’s a no brainer that this should also be true of cameras - but maybe no?

Is Nikon the Android and ‘PC’ of the camera world, or just typical? :-(

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 09:34:36 »

Yes, read the manual but which manual?  ???

Dave

Is anyone brave enough to try the instructions on page 193 of the Nikon D850 Menu Guide?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 09:41:28 »
Yes, read the manual but which manual?

Dave

Is anyone brave enough to try the instructions on page 193 of the Nikon D850 Menu Guide?
The one quoted; User's Manual

I have inserted a link for you, It's still supplied in printed form with the camera in the box  ;D
https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/359/D850.html

Erik Lund

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 13:05:30 »
This is what I expected the two button reset would do...

Page 193 in the D850 Setup Manual: Setup Menu> Reset All Settings.

"Reset all settings except [Language] and [Time zone and date] to their default values (p 9). Copyright information and other user-generated entries are also reset. We recommend that you save settings using the Save/Load setting option in the setup menu before performing a reset (p 191)."

Yes but "Save/load settings" will NOT save and restore your AF fine-tune data.

The "Reset All Settings" option is also found in the Setup Menu of the D500 and D6. I didn’t see this option in the D800 and didn’t check any other cameras or manuals.

Looks like the true "Nuclear Option" as it requires Yes/No and the OK button.   :o :o :o

Dave

Now having had fun with the "Reset All Settings" I think it a good thing that the two button reset doesn't nuke everything.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 20:35:07 »
I got brave or foolish and tried the "Nuclear Option" on my D850 and it did what I thought the two button reset would do. The Nuclear Option appears to be a nearly complete factory reset.

Before using the "Reset All Settings" options found near the bottom of the Setup Menu I recommend...

* Setup Menu> Save/Load Settings> Save Settings
* Remove primary memory card from your camera
* Back up the Settings BIN file to your computer with a card reader

Also if you have much work in AF fine-tune data...

* Backup your AF fine-tune data to paper or a computer file as all AF fine-tune data will be deleted.

It's very easy to over-write the BIN file in camera. All you have to do is press Save Settings when you intended to press Load Settings and the current state of settings will be saved and your settings will be over-written. To protect your Settings BIN file in the field I recommend...

* Write protect your settings BIN file in a computer card reader using Windows Explorer "Properties" or macOS Finder "Get Info."

If you accidentally press Save Settings when you intended to Load Settings you'll receive an error message saying "(!) Cannot create file" and your personal settings will be protected and available. To backup new setting you'll need to remove the write protection from the BIN file and follow the instructions above. If you format your memory card you'll need to copy your BIN file from your computer backup to the memory card.

Dave

While searching on the net I fond a number of sites that wrongly state that the two button reset is a factory reset which it clearly is not. I eventually found one that outlined the "Reset all settings" option.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
Re: Two Button Reset ??? (Solved)
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 02:10:48 »
Nikon D850 SETUP MENU> Reset all settings> Reset> Yes> [OK] will turn off AF fine-tune and delete ALL AF fine-tune data.  :o :o :o

The Nikon D850 Menu Guide did NOT explicitly warn that the AF fine-tune data would be deleted. I suspected this. I already knew the D850's NCSETUPM.BIN file would not over-write or restore the AF fine-tune data so I guess it was foolish to try the "Reset All Data" feature. The AF fine-tune data I had for a few lenses was quick and dirty and done without a tripod. I'll add to the above recommendations writing out the AF find-tune data on all lenses and saving it on one's computer.

You are warned: if you have a lot of work in AF fine-tune data be sure to record the DATA before using "Reset all setting!" Make a file on your computer with the data. You'll have to type it out. Also you might want to print it to paper.

Dave

And there is more...

The file numbering sequence will be reset!  :o :o

But there is an easy work-a-round using Custom Setting d7 on my D850. I'm too lazy to explain but it really is easy.

and...

Blue Tooth pairing had to be reset. In SnapBridge I had to "forget" my D850 and then do the pairing again before my D850 would receive GPS data from my phone.

Dave

Confirmed: "Reset all settings" is the Real Deal. It will Nuke everything!
  8)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 09:15:50 »
Good to know! I have not needed to reset my camera. I keep an Excel sheet of all my fine tune settings (which is current) and in addition I have another record of them on paper which unfortunately is not currently up to date. :/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 12:57:01 »
I have all the AF fine-tune data saved partly in my D800, the serial numbers, and partly in the EXIF data of photographs take with my D850. The most important part, the actual AF fine-tune value for each lens is recorded in the EXIF data of photographs take with a particular lens. I'll just have to enter the data into my D850 again.

Years ago I installed Windows 2000 Server as a domain server three times just for practice. Entering the AF fine-tune data for six or seven lenses will be a breeze.

Dave