Author Topic: Regent's Park Birds  (Read 1475 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Regent's Park Birds
« on: April 18, 2021, 18:30:30 »
Regent's Park, in Central London, is a great place to photograph water birds. https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/the-regents-park/things-to-see-and-do/wildlife/birds-of-regents-park

One of the advantages is that the birds know that they are safe from humans, and it is possible to get quite close without causing them any distress.

It seemed a good place to test out my new Z7II with the FTZ and my trusty 80-400. I am happy to say that it passed with flying ( :)) colours.

Here are some examples.
Anthony Macaulay

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Regent's Park Birds
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 18:32:56 »
A seagull in flight was no problem.

The fish was no problem for the Little Grebe.

Egyptian Geese are good parents.
Anthony Macaulay

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 18:36:06 »
Coots attack other coots, but fights are brief.

Making the nest is a greater priority.
Anthony Macaulay

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 18:36:50 »
Swans add their usual elegance.
Anthony Macaulay

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 22:01:08 »
Anthony:

Looks like you are having lot of fun. with the Z7II!  Nice collection of birds and activities.  Look forward to your feelings about the AF on fast morning, small birds.  My Z6 does OK on larger birds, less so on fast, erratically moving small birds.

Keep them coming.

Randy

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 11:27:53 »
Anthony:

Looks like you are having lot of fun. with the Z7II!  Nice collection of birds and activities.  Look forward to your feelings about the AF on fast morning, small birds.  My Z6 does OK on larger birds, less so on fast, erratically moving small birds.

Keep them coming.

Randy

Thanks, Randy. I continue to practice. I don't think the Z7II is the ideal choice for fast moving birds, but I was pleasantly surprised how well it performed with the FTZ and 80-400.
Anthony Macaulay

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 21:23:16 »
Very nice shots Antony!
I shoot with z50 and 200-500 and it’s not easy with birds in flight
I tried to shoot some shallows-I know there are very fast-with no lack even if the autofocus in Auto AF/AF-C was able to track the framing was very bad  >:(

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 11:33:17 »
Very nice shots Antony!
I shoot with z50 and 200-500 and it’s not easy with birds in flight
I tried to shoot some shallows-I know there are very fast-with no lack even if the autofocus in Auto AF/AF-C was able to track the framing was very bad  >:(

Thank you, Nasos. Swallows are certainly hard to track in flight.
Anthony Macaulay

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 05:59:40 »
Very nice set of photos Anthony!  A surprisingly similar set of birds to those I'm seeing every day in Seattle, half the world away (well, except for the swans and the Egyptian goose).  Any bald eagles?  Cheers, John

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 17:44:14 »
Very nice set of photos Anthony!  A surprisingly similar set of birds to those I'm seeing every day in Seattle, half the world away (well, except for the swans and the Egyptian goose).  Any bald eagles?  Cheers, John

Thanks, John, no eagles of any kind here in Central London. We might have fewer water birds if eagles were prowling overhead!
Anthony Macaulay