Author Topic: Do touch screens work with screen protectors?  (Read 4771 times)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: Do touch screens work with screen protectors?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 21:41:55 »
My D5 « for sale » picture: 3 ½ years old & 50’000 clicks. Professional use. Pristine; no scratches; never a protection screen.  :)

_8524036.jpg

(Sold in the meantime).
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 22:55:20 »
I suggest to put a protection screen on the protection screen. You never now  ;D

Sane advice, Christian!  ;D

Any recommendation for the makers of protection LCD covers? Anyone?

Dave

The one on my fp now is Gramas Extra Camera Glass made by Gin-Ichi.  The protection films/glasses are mostly dedicated to specific models, and Gin-Ichi (a well known camera shop for professionals in Tokyo) makes one for D850.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 22:00:38 »
The "mold/fungus" on the D3/D300 inner display was not exactly that and probable cause was the mounting tape, underneath. (On my old D300 it also looks like they wiped off the underside glass with a damp finger.)

When powered off, it looks cloudy around the edges. When used for chimping the bugger is fine.

Do your homework. Applying a glass protector is a good idea to keep it looking new. Removing ANY protector from a plastic touch screen, I've found can pull off the non-glare coating, pretty much ruining what you intended to fix.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 22:20:33 »
My D5 has a little scratch in the screen. Only visible with the screen "off" so it doesn´t affect viewing or compromise in anyway. I´m thinking about a screen protector...

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 04:42:40 »
I have Domke bag with an iron hardware to secure the top cover. It is a solid piece of metal and one time it hit the front of the lens inside the bag pretty hard. Luckily, there was a UV filter on the lens. It would be heart breaking if the hook hit the front element. I know people who toss their gear around and clean lenses with their sweater hats. I am not one of those :)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 21:38:58 »
While I may not add a protective secreen to the back of my camera, and the only lens filter I ever might use is a polarizer for removing reflections, I am a very strong believer in using a Lens Cap at all times except when actually shooting!

That Domke fastener could have done a number on both the filter (and on the lens behind it as well) but it would have left a lens cap unharmed.

Just sayin' . . .

::)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 05:04:58 »
Good point, Ann. I did the same thing in the very early past and regardless how well I kept the lenses closed, they collected the dirt from the air after a while (believe me, the air is pretty oily and I am talking about European climate :) ). The lenses that I keep protective filters on still look new after 25 years. As the picture quality degradation caused by the filters is unnoticeable, I decided to use filters. But hey, I am a weekend photographer, not a war correspondent LOL.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2021, 05:14:31 »
The protectors arrived! There were so many "brands" on Amazon and the prices are comparable so I selected a random one. The quality is not top-notch and out of the two protector glasses, one had so many defect out of the box so I decided to throw it away. The second one looks decent. The English of the instruction was probably Google-translated from Chinese LOL

Putting and removing is actually a piece of cake. I dropped the protector on the screen and it started stick to the screen edge to edge. It can be easily removed using the edge of a piece of paper. The protector is a bit smaller than the screen.

Considering the ease of installation and the cheap price (I paid ~12 CAD tax included) I would say it is worth trying.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2021, 05:32:21 »
As the picture quality degradation caused by the filters is unnoticeable...

In the daylight a proper lens hood or for a wide angle or zoom shading the front element with the hand can make a greater difference than removing a filter. Today’s filters with superior coatings can have almost zero effect on an image. I keep a lens hood on all lenses almost all of the time.

At night however a filter can often cause a related ghost from a light source like a street light or car's headlights. At night I frequently remove any filter from my lens.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 11:09:43 »
Always front lens cap when not in use; always lens hood when in use; never filter.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2021, 14:47:37 »
I would consider putting a protector filter on a lens only in those marine conditions when you have a lot of salty mist in the air, and salt is quite nasty to remove from a precious front lens.
Otherwise, no filter.
Polariser and close-up lenses? OK with me.  The best recent polarisers have nanocoating that repels dust and fingerprints (and they work as advertised!). Cost is a little steep...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2021, 19:18:10 »
Always front lens cap when not in use; always lens hood when in use; never filter.
Exactly.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2021, 22:05:43 »
... let get back on track... so do not use screen protectors as well? :)

What is the downside?

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2021, 00:13:15 »
... let get back on track... so do not use screen protectors as well? :)

What is the downside?
Screen protectors do not alter the image quality, lens protectors do.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2021, 01:01:16 »
Screen protectors do not alter the image quality, lens protectors do.

Ciao from Massimo

Hey, that I understand. Did not try to compare protectors to filters. Just wanted to learn why people are not using protectors.

The downside for me is, instead of a nice LCD, I now have a cheap looking plastic protector. The LCD protector of my D800 got scratched a lot, though. Probably from the sharp edges of the Velcro strips of the dividers, so I'll probably keep the protector on my Z5.