Author Topic: Do touch screens work with screen protectors?  (Read 4763 times)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Do touch screens work with screen protectors?
« on: March 13, 2021, 04:07:01 »
Hey all,

I do not like screen protectors but my screens got scratched a lot in the past so I consider putting a protector glass on the tough screen. Did you have any issue with touch functionality?

Cheers,
Zang

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Do touch screens work with screen protectors?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 06:52:41 »
I've been using screen protectors on all of my DSLRs and MLCs and haven't experienced any issue of the touch screen function of any cameras.

Currently I put a fairly thick protection "glass" on the screen of my SIGMA fp, but I have no issue either.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 18:47:11 »
Thanks Akira. I'll try one.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 21:11:18 »
I suffered burns on my thumb and index. Screen protectors on touch screens are not well functioning for me. I stopped using these. And I have zero scratches on my screens made of mineral glass (D5, D6, D850). I don’t believe these are necessary if you are a bit careful. But if a screen protector can contribute to your feel good factor ...
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 23:59:36 »
I have never used protectors and none of the back-screens on my Nikons (which have included D3, D3S and D5) have ever got scratched.

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 04:51:16 »
The slim, all glass protectors, I've found work fine, exactly like the one on my phone, which I wipe off with my trousers.

Get several. "That auction site" is an excellent source. I had to ruin a couple before I got it correct. (And, yes..... why does a scratch ruin everything?)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 05:56:03 »
I think they are worth it, if nothing else than to prevent a scratch impacting on a resale price of the camera. BUT, to what degree can/do they increase the chances of mold or fungus behind the screen? Probably they make no difference at all, but I still don’t understand why the D3 has such a common problem of a cloudy/moldy LCD screen.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 05:58:23 »
Thanks guys...

Too late, I have ordered a two-pack after Akira's response :)

I have bought Nikon z5 whose back LCD is said to be a plastic which is not as durable as those from the higher models. Let see how the protector works and in the worst case, I'll get rid of it.

Another question, is removing the protector a painful process? I bought the ones that said to have "silicon adhesive".

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 06:24:46 »
I never had a problem removing them from phones and iPads, but I never had to on a camera. But I wouldn’t worry, as when/if you resell you can tout the protector as a plus point. If someone mucks things up by removing it, that’s their problem!

But... as I mentioned before, I have never known mold and fungus under a phone screen, but I have seen it reported under a camera screen. Maybe it’s because in reality we hold a camera closer to our face much more than we do phones?, but more likely because camera manufacturers probably regard the LCD screen as a necessary evil, and haven’t mastered isolating it from the environment.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 06:28:20 »
A screen protector is not only for scratches...
Here is my 1V3 (with no screen protector) after hitting hard against a not-so-sharp item (one of the car's armrests). Maybe a screen protector would have taken most of the hit, and the LCD would not have cracked. BTW, only the lower L triangle was still operative. I could still operate menus and look at photos by using the EVF: an added safety of mirrorless cameras, with a traditional camera most functions would have been impossible to act upon.

Fortunately I could find a replacement LCD (on lower L in photo), I will surely put on a screen protector this time!

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 10:26:59 »
Even though I have put the protectors on the LCDs of all cameras, I had never scratched them...well until a few month ago:

I was about to drop my current SIGMA fp and fortunately was succeeded in catching it, but I had a screwdriver in one of my hands which hit the screen and made a deep scratch.  Luck in bad luck was that the scratch didn't reach to the cover glass of the LCD.

I replaced the scratched protector with the thicker protection glass for the better peace of mind.   ::)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 13:51:50 »
I suggest to put a protection screen on the protection screen. You never now  ;D
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 16:02:47 »
Thanks guys for sharing your stories. Some of them sound scary and I am sorry you guys had some unfortunate accidents.

@MFloyd LOL... if the protectors are permanent, I would never use them.

I missed film cameras who did not require such kind of care :) When I bought Contax RTS III back then I wished the technology revolution stopped there :)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 21:03:34 »
I have never used protectors and none of the back-screens on my Nikons (which have included D3, D3S and D5) have ever got scratched.

It's possible to scratch any of these but my experience with the back screens of my D2H, D300s, D800 and so far with my D850 is the same, no scratches. These are all mid and pro level Nikon DSLR(s) if that makes a difference. I'm careful with the handling of my camera equipment. I treat them as precision instruments. They are generally free of dings and scratches but paint frequently gets polished off and plastic and rubber parts frequently get polished smooth.

Protectors may be a good idea as accidents happen. I’m thinking this over.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 21:08:47 »
A screen protector is not only for scratches...

Perhaps screen protectors are a similar issue to protective filters. In this case a screen protector might or might not have help. Sometimes the wrong glancing impact will break the protector and not the item being protected.

Dave

---

I replaced the scratched protector with the thicker protection glass for the better peace of mind.   ::)

Any recommendation for the makers of protection LCD covers? Anyone?

Dave

---

A friend's precocious cockatoo tasted the flat screen monitor of an very old MacBook. It wasn't pretty. This bird can crack open Palm Nuts with her powerful beak.  :o

Fortunatly the computer was worth less than $100.00 (USD) at the time.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!