Author Topic: AF-Zoom-Nikkor 35-80mm f/4-5.6D (OLD)!!!  (Read 3196 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
AF-Zoom-Nikkor 35-80mm f/4-5.6D (OLD)!!!
« on: March 08, 2021, 05:05:00 »
https://richardhaw.com/2021/03/08/repair-af-zoom-nikkor-35-80mm-f-4-5-6d/

well, the most confusing AF nikkor to ID in my opinion. some say that the new ones began to show up as Thai but this one is Thai but it has the old optical formula :o :o :o
one night in bangkok makes the hard man humble they say ::)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: AF-Zoom-Nikkor 35-80mm f/4-5.6D (OLD)!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 10:21:55 »
Thx for sharing! I'm impressed you find time to look at lenses like this one, must be very limited interest in such lenses  :o
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 11:40:54 »
it is my life's mission :o :o :o

i think Sato-san designed this or the (N), he told me on facebook. that is why I called him "kitlens king" ::)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:41:30 »
by the way, what makes this special is it's a 2-group zoom very much like the 25-50mm :o :o :o

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 12:10:24 »
The designer matters of course - I see the commitment!BTW I hope he took it as a compliment ;)
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 12:16:25 »
he never said anything...and changed the conversation :o :o :o
he's a very gentle person, at least that was the impression I got from him when we met at the nikon museum a few years ago :o :o :o

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 12:23:53 »
to my knowledge, he has designed the most number of kitlens zooms for Nikon and he is the father of the whole concept of a kit-zoom, we are walking amongst a great man. a very influential mind in the optics industry :o :o :o

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 14:46:29 »
Here is an account of the history of this type of lenses

https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0063/index.htm

It seems he designed both 35-80's.

I found 65 patents under his name and Nikon. ;-)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 22:17:13 »
well, the most confusing AF nikkor to ID in my opinion. some say that the new ones began to show up as Thai but this one is Thai but it has the old optical formula :o :o :o
Maybe this can help...

The AF 35-80/4-5/6 D was introduced in Jan 1994. It replaced the AF 35-70/3.3-4.5 (new) and looks almost identical to that lens. It trades about 1/2 stop in speed for a little more reach at the telephoto end.

It was the second Nikkor to have a hybrid aspherical lens (the AF 28-70/3.5-4.5 was first), which was a new type of lens where an aspheric plastic surface is moulded onto a normal spherical glass lens. This type of aspheric lens is much cheaper than the older hand-ground and CNC-ground aspheric lenses, but is restricted to smallish diameter elements and less extreme aspherical shapes. This type of aspheric lens was widely used on kit zooms and super-zooms.

The 35-80D was initially made in Japan with serial numbers starting at 6000001. After about 75,000 units were made, production shifted to Thailand where another 620,000 units were made (nearly 700,000 units total). These lenses have serial numbers starting at 3000001.

It was one of the first lenses to be made in Thailand, I believe the AF 35-70/3.3-4.5 (new) was the first, which also started production in Japan before shifting to the new factory. The 35-70 was made for only a short time in Thailand before production switched to the 35-80D. It seems that in the early days of the Thailand factory while staff were still relatively inexperienced, Nikon would start production of a lens in Japan to work out any production issues before transferring to the new factory.

The new 35-80G appeared just a year later in Jan 1995 - the first G lens without an aperture ring, followed by the 28-80G in Sep 1995. Both were made in Thailand without any initial Japan run. Given the short time between the introduction of the 35-80D and 35-80G and the relatively high volume of 35-80D produced, I wonder if both versions were made in parallel for a while. The better build and aperture ring of the 35-80D would appeal to enthusiasts, while the G version was sold as a cheap kit lens.

Correction: the new 35-80 and 28-80 released in 1995 were not G lenses.  The first G lens was the third generation 28-80 from 2001.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 02:07:02 »

It seems he designed both 35-80's.

I found 65 patents under his name and Nikon. ;-)

he is a genius :o :o :o

hes one of the reasons why i have been doing these cheapy kitlens series ::) he usually responds happily (on fb) when he sees my articles of these kitzooms.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 02:10:59 »
It was the second Nikkor to have a hybrid aspherical lens (the AF 28-70/3.5-4.5 was first), which was a new type of lens where an aspheric plastic surface is moulded onto a normal spherical glass lens. This type of aspheric lens is much cheaper than the older hand-ground and CNC-ground aspheric lenses, but is restricted to smallish diameter elements and less extreme aspherical shapes. This type of aspheric lens was widely used on kit zooms and super-zooms.

do you know which group it was?
I noticed that the 3rd group has bubbles in it, very unusual, first time ive seen something like that :o :o :o it looks more like plastic than glass

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 03:12:12 »
do you know which group it was?
I noticed that the 3rd group has bubbles in it, very unusual, first time ive seen something like that :o :o :o it looks more like plastic than glass
No, I don't think I have seen the optical diagram of this lens. There was a period around that time when the optics weren't included in their lens brochures.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 03:48:05 »
No, I don't think I have seen the optical diagram of this lens. There was a period around that time when the optics weren't included in their lens brochures.
i just texted mr. Sato, let's see if he can tell us which one it is. :o :o :o

maybe i should do an interview with him on kitlenses...he doesnt show up in the usual watering hole lately due to corona...the bars also close at 8pm these days so i am getting drunk alone at home lately ::)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 04:23:39 »
Hello.
There are two types of Nikkor 35-80mm, both of which are my design.
The first generation uses one PAG-Lens. But it's not a plastic lens.
A glass lens with a thin resin film on top of the glass.
It is resistant to changes in the environment and temperature, and is no different from ordinary glass lenses.
Best regards

the kitlens king has spoken :o :o :o

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 07:09:52 »
Can the roller screws for the zoom mechanism from other zoom lens be used for this lens? One was given to me but the owner told me the lens doesnt zoom in/out, it is stuck at 35mm. I opened up the back and saw that there was no roller screws in the mechanism. I was thinking if I can use the screws from other zoom lens to repair it as the glass is still ib good condition.
Keep shooting,
Bern