Author Topic: Venus Optics Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens  (Read 1096 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Venus Optics Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens
« on: March 04, 2021, 18:30:54 »
Venus Optics Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens

At about $400, the Venus Optics Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO lens is 20x less expensive than the Nikon Noct 0.95 S lens. Because of that, I never thought of buying it, mostly because I did buy into some early Venus Optic lenses and they were, IMO, nothing to write home about. So, I thought here is just another cheap lens.

And there is that fact that the lens is optimized for mirrorless cameras with APS-C format, and with full-frame, you will get only the central part of the image that is usable. However, switch your Nikon Z camera to DX format and you have full-frame in that format.

Of course, after I saw a comment by B.  Rørslett of NikonGear.net that
the Laowa 65mm APO lens was remarkable, that got my attention. I had to see for myself about that. After all, I have learned more from Rørslett over the years, especially early on, than from anyone else.

Sure enough, as usual, Rørslett was spot on. The Laowa, inexpensive and all, is a very nice lens, and it goes to 2x, which no other macro lens that I own does. Well, some specialized lenses do, but not ones I am in a habit of using that often. And it is very light and small, and there is a version for the Nikon Z mirrorless cameras, which I have. For my use, it immediately becomes the travel lens I would use for all very close-up or macro nature shots. It’s not the only lens I would carry, because I need full-frame images for some of my work.

And it really is “APO,” at least that’s what I see when I use it and very sharp, with no appreciable CA, etc. How can they afford to do it? I am often asked what’s a good beginning macro lens, and now I have to say, at $400, this is a winner. I’m using it! Indeed, we are going through a lens renaissance.

Here is a photo I took today using the $400 Laowa 65mm APO and another taken with the $8K Nikon 58mm f/0.95 APO monster. Of course, the Nikon is better, but for a lot of use, the 65mm Laowa is just excellent, especially for field use. Both images are stacked, and neither cleaned up too much. I just wanted to see for myself what the two looked like side to side.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
Re: Venus Optics Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 22:32:14 »
Very impressive indeed Michael!!
formerly known as kds315

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 08:31:09 »
Both nice images but wow that Noct-Nikkor Z really blow out the BG nicely here! Wow.
Too bad it's not full frame, really makes a difference here and explain a lot of the difference in price tag.Thx for sharing.
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 09:23:32 »
The 'full-frame' equivalent is the LAOWA 100 mm f/2.8, which like its smaller sibling also goes to 2X and has excellent image quality. The 100mm costs more, but compared to most competitors it is very attractively priced. It can be had in native Z-mount as well as in various others: my sample is in F-mount.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 09:44:34 »
The 'full-frame' equivalent is the LAOWA 100 mm f/2.8, which like its smaller sibling also goes to 2X and has excellent image quality. The 100mm costs more, but compared to most competitors it is very attractively priced. It can be had in native Z-mount as well as in various others: my sample is in F-mount.

They both have a short focus throw, which does not matters in focus throw, but it is still usable, IMO. The 100mm is much heavier, but I will probably try it anyway. I can always put it non a rail. Thanks for the suggestion
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 10:45:28 »
The 100mm is designed for DSLR type cameras, not a native short back focal length design.
Erik Lund

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 13:15:16 »
Interesting hint on other macro lenses.
Birna, how is your f-mount Laowa mechanically fit on the DSLR?
I've had third party lenses which didn't mount smooth to the bajonet.
I don't like to have to force it on and off but I don't have a shop to try before buy.
Daniel Diggelmann

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 18:02:24 »
The mechanical fit of my 100mm LAOWA to the F-mount is just as good as with any native Nikkor. Plus the aperture ring is very precise and smooth, unlike most Nikkors I'd like to add. It is also  better located as it is seated a smidge further out from the bayonet itself.

Unfortunately, like other designs in this range, there is no CPU thus no transfer of information to the camera unless you remember to set the lens data in a vacant non-CPU lens slot. The adaptation of a CPU in this lens is doable I'd guess, but definitively calls upon the nimble fingers and expertise of our resident 'Dr.Lens' (Erik Lund). When the travel restrictions caused by the current pandemic are lifted, I probably visit Erik in Copenhagen for  chat and another nerd session of CPU-modification.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 16:13:09 »
Yes indeed, looking forward to traveling again - The lens surgery on your lens and our NikonGear photo trips are high on my outstanding to-do list
Erik Lund

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 21:37:33 »
Picked up a copy of the Laowa 100mm 2x APO lens, which will do FX, and it does. What do I think? I like it. However, it is larger, much heavier, and to go 2x you almost have to take off the lens hood. Way too close for living things, unless they are busy, like ants. Lighting would be hard.

The VERY short focus throw is painful to use, but I could always put it on a rail. I took the hood off for the closer photo. For the money, it is totally worth it and for many kinds of focus stacking, it works fine unless you need a longer throw to get around a curve of whatever. Will I keep it? Have not decided, but I might, only because Nikon has not delivered a killer micro lens for some time. Certainly, this lens is corrected enough for what I do and sharp! This is an incredible time for lenses.

Did not spend time on cleaning these stacked images up.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 22:01:09 »
The lens hood of the 100mm lens is a joke unless you do landscapes. However, then the front is deeply retracted inside the lens casing?? For 1:1 and beyond the front optics sit almost flush with the front of the casing as as the working dostance then is very short, there is hardly any space for the hood. I simply don't get the underlying idea of the construction. I would personally prefer a much longer focus travel, but if your finger flexibility is top notch, one can make quick shots of moving subjects I guess.

In terms of image sharpness the 100 Laowa is worth every penny. I did keep the hood, for its entertainment value.