Author Topic: Mac Yosemite Upgrade?  (Read 9134 times)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Mac Yosemite Upgrade?
« on: August 04, 2015, 15:08:58 »
I am trundling along on my Macbook Pro (Retina) with OS 10.8.5 = Mountain Lion. This MacPro is two OS releases behind at this point.

So I really think it is time to upgrade to the latest Yosemite OS (I do not particularly like the look of the flat icons. But that is not a good reason not to upgrade.)

• Is there anyone running Yosemite on a MacBook who can comment on how well it is running and whether there are any significant bugs as yet unfixed?
  • Does Capture NX2 run OK on Yosemite? (Yes, I am still sticking for a while with NX2.)
  • How about Photo Ninja, Photo Mechanic, Iridient Developer?
Thank you for any comments or pointers.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Mac Yosemite Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 15:52:42 »
I am running Yosemite on a 2012 Macbook Air and on a Retina iMac.

Photo Mechanic and Photo Ninja work well on both.

I cannot comment on the other programs.
Anthony Macaulay

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 16:22:04 »
Andrea, if your machines are running fine, no need for an upgrade.
That is a lesson I have learned when upgrading to Yosemite.
I couldn't mirror displays on my old iMAC any longer after I upgraded. So annoying...
Another thing that got wasted was the screensaver. Yosemite always pointed me back to the default setting of the National Geographic folder.
How did I mitigate the issues, in the first instance I am mirroring displays now from my Mac-book Pro, and I am suffering each day for not have a lovely screensaver slideshow of my favorite images.
Photo Ninja and ViewNX2 that I have work fine though.

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 17:01:14 »
Andrea, CNX2 (ver. 2.4.7) can run only on OSX 10.7.5, 10.8.5 and 10.9.2, according to Nikon.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/3.html
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Sash

• NG Member
  • From behind the Irony Curtain
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 17:07:44 »
I am running Yosemite on a 2014 quad 2,5 GHz, 16 Gb RAM MacBook Pro - Capture One Pro and Affinity work very fast, no problems whatsoever.  New Photos app is seriously dumbed down and disappointing.
Alexander

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 20:14:49 »
I am with Jakov - tired of upgrades stuffing up my other stuff
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 22:33:10 »
I have a 2009 MBP and a 2012 MBP, both run fine on Yosemite as far as I can tell.  Photo Ninja, Adobe work fine, can't advise on NX2.
RE: the icons:  When I first was able to borrow the use of a Mac, I fantasized about how, when I had my own Mac, I'd change the stupid icons to ones that I thought were better.  Now, I realize what a colossal waste of time that'd be.
One look at Windows, and you're grateful that they're as good as they are.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 06:55:38 »
I am running Yosemite on a 2014 quad 2,5 GHz, 16 Gb RAM MacBook Pro - Capture One Pro and Affinity work very fast, no problems whatsoever.  New Photos app is seriously dumbed down and disappointing.

Opinion on Affinity?
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:07:25 »
It appears that pages on Yosemite is not backwards compatible - what the heck...
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 11:29:01 »
15" rMBP from late 2013, been running Yosemite since shortly after it was released. It had network issues but they have since fixed that (took them way too long to fix though). I use LR so I can't really comment on the software you're using. I would hate using Photo Ninja on a retina display as I believe it is still nok optimized for it?

The next release of OS X, El Capitan, is just around the corner, I don't have any experience with it but from what I understand it is not going to have a lot of new features, it's more of a stability release. That said, I don't think it's wise to upgrade to that right when it is released :)
Jørgen Ramskov

Sash

• NG Member
  • From behind the Irony Curtain
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 12:10:56 »

Opinion on Affinity?

In my short and limited experience it is promising, but still needs some polishing. The interface is modern and easy to use. There is an abundance of tools that rivals Photoshop, I guess it does everything or almost everything PS can do, but some even commonly used tools that I have tried, such as highlights, shadows and micro contrast, do not work as well as Capture One.  On the other hand, there are some great tools like Inpainting that allow to easily remove objects. I did not try their RAW converter, as I am more than happy with C1. My first impression is that Affinity is targeted more at advanced enthusiasts who like to tinker with their images, rather than working professionals, unlike Capture One which is squarely aimed at pros. But my first impression could be wrong. I did not use Affinity seriously enough. For some light editing I much prefer C1, and it is more than enough for me in 99,9% of images. I try to avoid any heavy editing.
I will convert some FUJI image with both when I have time and post it here.
For the price they offer Affinity, it is an undisputed bargain.
Alexander

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 21:21:22 »
I never heard of Affinity before but it looks pretty cool. I'm not a Photoshop user, which is what it seems to compete with so I don't think it is too relevant for me as a user of LR.
Jørgen Ramskov

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 21:29:06 »
Running Yosemite since release no issues at all :)

Model Name:   MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacBookPro5,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2,53 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  Total Number of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   6 MB
  Memory:   8 GB
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 21:34:01 »
I'm still running on 10.9.5, still supported by Apple with regular patch updates and none of the funky behaviour issues of the newer OSX versions.

What would be benefit of running on the newer OS btw?
Cheers,
Jan Anne

stenrasmussen

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 22:59:48 »
What would be benefit of running on the newer OS btw?

Because it is the latest and coolest Jan Anne  ;D
Maybe it isn't, I don't know, but maybe...