Author Topic: Micro Nikkor 200mm AIs vs AF  (Read 1953 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Micro Nikkor 200mm AIs vs AF
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2021, 00:07:31 »

But I have also had cases where the free working distance was perfectly adequate but the longer overall focus distance of the 105/4 gave me more freedom in placing my tripod. Sometimes it simply isn't possible to move the tripod any closer to the subject without falling off the edge of a bank, or it's not possible to get the tripod any higher up a tree...

OK, I got it now.  :)
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Member
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2021, 01:48:30 »
The 105/4 has seven aperture blades to the blurs are heptagonal.
Almost all AI and AIS lenses are the same...

Oops, you are of course correct, confirmed on lens. I should not have relied on memory and what I thought was the outline of the aperture in image #2 above, might have been some parallell vertical elements in the background. Part of the confusion might be that the 55mm f/3.5 micro (AI) has 6 (slightly curved) aperture blades.
Øivind Tøien

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2021, 04:47:34 »
The 200mm f4 Ai is known to have a fair amount of chromatic aberration. I have one and checked and it does.

Steven P.

• NG Member
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2021, 04:39:24 »
I keep thinking when they make a 200/Af-S/VR/micro, I can afford the old D version. I have been using the Ai 200 micro since back into the film only days. I will sometimes get a bit of ghosting, (Reflections from the internal elements.)
I carry it in my MF sack and my copy makes a decent distance shot. I have also noticed....

I followed The Bear's advise on a reversed 4T for 1:1 on the Ai version. I unscrewed the 4T retaining ring and mounted the glass backward, allowing for "Normal" filter use.

The distance on reversed T is closer to the lens front element & the flattening effect is not quite as profound, but I'm not 100% on that.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Fotoverhalen
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2021, 07:57:04 »
With the AF-D Micro 200/4

earlier posted in March 2021

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2021, 10:43:52 »
Just stumbled over this site again;
http://www.pierretoscani.com/focale.html#focale37Animation of how the Micro Nikkor 105mm AF-S VR looses it's focal length as it focuses,,,
One of those lenses that I returned shortly after testing it out - and newer looking back!
Erik Lund

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2021, 22:52:23 »
John I really like your cactus photo - thank you
Daniel Diggelmann

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Fotoverhalen
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2021, 23:06:34 »
Thank you, Daniel.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2021, 00:36:32 »
http://www.pierretoscani.com/focale.html#focale37Animation of how the Micro Nikkor 105mm AF-S VR looses it's focal length as it focuses,,,
One of those lenses that I returned shortly after testing it out - and newer looking back!
The older AF 105/2.8 micro also looses focal length at close range - even more than the AF-S VR version, but for some reason this is more often mentioned as a disadvantage for the AF-S model. Maybe this can be explained as the AF 105 micro has a gentle loss of focal length across the entire focus range, while the focal length of the AF-S version remains constant at medium-far distances but then drops more rapidly at close range.

One thing not mentioned is the rear 1.4x converter of the AF 105 micro is not a fixed unit. From Nikon 1001 nights article: https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0072/index.htm

"Gauss-type structure comprised of six elements in five groups with a three-element teleconverter behind this main structure. Three elements in front of the aperture, three elements behind the aperture, and the front two elements in the teleconverter structure combine to form a total of three groups that each moves independently to focus from close-up to infinity."

Observing my lens I can see that as the lens is focused closer, the front two elements of the rear converter move rearwards, then stop and move forward as the lens approaches 1:1, finally arriving at more or less the same position as it started. This complex design must give a high degree of correction across the focus range providing very good optical quality. Perhaps over-corrected as the background bokeh at medium-far distances is rough. And lack of ED and other special glasses means it is not colour-corrected as well as more recent lenses, so some CA is observed.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2021, 06:45:47 »

Is this work available in an English languish site?

I probably should have bought an AF-S 70-200/4.0G ED-IF VR rather than the AF-S 105/2.8G ED VR Micro-Nikkor. Again it's a honker with too many aberrations.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2021, 15:50:48 »
I use Google translate for these page, only a few of them are available in English and they have sometimes been completely missing, I believe due to copyright issues,,,
Here is Ricks excellent article fresh from the press just in  :o https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=9886.new#new
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2021, 16:02:51 »
i just overhauled a severly fungus damaged 200/4 ai (wide grip) :o :o :o

despite all the bad rap it appears to be a decent performer even with a chipped front element and bad fungus trauma ::)
from what i see it seems to lack resolving power for a micro-nikkor and what people perceive as softness is compounded by thin dof even at f/8, apart from that it appears to be quite fine but it doesnt have that wow factor that many shorter micro nikkor in the 50-60mm range have