Author Topic: Nikkor 24mm f/2 Ai-S!!!  (Read 5695 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikkor 24mm f/2 Ai-S!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 10:31:52 »
I have had a very mixed reaction to the 24/2 Nikkor over the years. In the mid '80s I fell into the trap of believing one always should prefer faster lenses, so replaced my trusty 24/2.8 with a brand new 24/2. That move was an unmitigated disaster. The overall rendition lost the vivacity of the f/2.8 and took on a greyish, dull appearance as well. I bit the bullet, sold off the f/2 after a few months, and returned to the f/2.8 to reinstate happiness. A then close friend acquired another 24/2 that he was immensely proud off, I did test it and there was the same greyish dullness to the images.

Fast forward to the early '10s when in London, I visited Grey's and found what looked a pristine 24/2. I briefly shot a few frames on my digital camera (D3 if memory serves) and they looked very nice, so I purchased the lens. After a while that strange flat, dull, and greyish quality to the images returned. Apparently the CRC group had worked itself out of position and I could easily tighten it -- all of a sudden the lens was transformed and delivered crisp imagery.

My current understanding is that there are quality issues with the design of the 24/2 that sometimes severely degrade the image quality. That is a very possible explanation why people rate this lens so differently.

As of now, I mainly use the 24/2 on my Df cameras. It likes the Df, I like the Df, so what is not to like?

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 10:39:47 »
the CRC could easily be misaligned if the focusing ring was turned too-much (key bent). :o :o :o

I noticed that vignetting covers the whole frame wide-open, this may be what you're experiencing ::)

Mine was also dull until I cleaned it, there's a very thin film of grease on the glass. after reassembling it performed A LOT BETTER...
it may be due to the greasy film or I may have gotten lucky when I reassembled it.

so far, i am sort of fine with what I have. i find it temperamental in the way that it produces nice images but not all the time, depending on what's in the frame.
this is of course, all wide-open, strictly speaking

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:41:48 »
I just checked some of my photos, some of them do appear flat, could this be caused by having too many lens elements? :o :o :o

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 12:05:31 »
My all-time favourite shot by the Nikkor 24/2 AIS.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 14:48:33 »
well, at least this one looks nice :o :o :o

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 15:48:57 »
Thanks for the write up and congratulations on the new to you lens!
Birna, that is nice use of that lens!
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 16:10:21 »
been looking for it for many years :o :o :o (right price)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 21:59:33 »
I have a 24/2.8 AI that perhaps in a couple of years had so much debris from the iris blades inside that I opened the lens and cleaned it. I removed the bayonet, carefully scratched a reference line for correct reassembly then removed the CRC group. Then I cleaned the glass surfaces and reassembled the lens, problem solved.The dulling of the image was even apparent in the viewfinder before cleaning. I wonder how many lenses have this problem of the iris shedding? I wonder if debris on the glass is the cause of the gray look mentioned.

The HN-1 lens hood provides minimum physical protection but little in the way of protection from stray light. In a discussion of protection UV filter v. none I noted that using a hand or hat made more of a difference than using a filter or not. With a filter if the sun is in the corner of the frame I get 13 small, hot ghosts and without I get only 12, not a great improvement. If the sun is just outside the corner of the frame and I use my hand to shade the front element I can avoid the small, hot ghosts all to gather.

Vignette is another issue with the 24/2.8. I don't like strong dark corners. I use the Distortion> Lens Correction> Vignette> feature in Photoshop with values of Amount -10 to -20 and Midpoint -15 to give a subtle vignette to direct the eye to the subject. Dark corners are best hidden in night photography or reduced in day photography by stopping down.

Even though I like the 24mm focal length I have little incentive to use my 24/2.8 AI Nikkor. I wonder if I'd be happier with a 24/2.0 AI as I find flare and especially ghost with my 24/2.8 AI disgusting.  ??? :o :-X

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 22:58:42 »
An idea could be to get a cheap AFS 17-35/2.8. Maybe one that "squeaks" and does not autofocus well and then just use it with MF. Then set it to 24mm and use is as a 24mm lens. I think it performs very well at 24mm and much better than the AF 24/2.8 I had. The disadvantage is that 17-35 is a bit heavy......but if it is very cheap......

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 23:08:51 »
At least one of the "grey dull" 24/2  Nikkors I have been blessed (sic) with was brand new and arrived in the sealed factory box.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 23:32:39 »
In another thread I showed that my AIS 24/2 copy seems to be ok. I used it on Z50 with an AF-adapter. Aperture was 5.6. Now a DX sensor only use part of the image circle. An example of how it performed:

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 23:41:50 »
A couple of 100% crops of above image:

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 01:27:08 »
At least one of the "grey dull" 24/2  Nikkors I have been blessed (sic) with was brand new and arrived in the sealed factory box.

Well that weakens my theory substantially.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 02:10:20 »
i am curious about this "dull" look...if anybody has a sample I would like to see that and share in the site to educate people :o :o :o
does it go away when stopping the iris down?