Author Topic: Would You Buy A Nikon Df Camera Today?  (Read 8568 times)

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Would You Buy A Nikon Df Camera Today?
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2021, 03:11:57 »
Sure - well I fully agree with Birna that downsizing wasn't helpful. Otherwise - how would we figure out the sensor uniqueness if we didn't process both images the same way? Too many parameters to correctly interpret any difference IMHO.
Alright, the Df is on top, the Z6 below!
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2021, 06:16:44 »
...Acordding to Photons to Photos the dynamic range of the Df is almost as great as the D850 and similarly that of the Z7 II...

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D850,Nikon%20Df

Not quite, while there is overlap at higher ISO, at ISO100 (that was used in the image comparison), the photographic dynamic range of the Df is nearly one stop short of D850 and worse than D500:
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D500,Nikon%20D850,Nikon%20Df
(The Df was optimized for high ISO performance at the time, with a tradeoff in low ISO performance.)
Øivind Tøien

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2021, 16:43:10 »
On April Fools' Day, Jack. A Df made all the images.  ;)

Daniel Bliss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2021, 23:31:19 »
I think the Df has had its day in the sun and to be honest I found the control layout kind of odd. I always thought it would have been nice if Nikon had put a control dial around the throat of the lens mount instead of that small thing on the upper front right of the camera, plus they got a bit carried away with dial locks.

For me I'd go D850 though I'm still waiting to see what Nikon does this year (pretty please, a D850 update with the D6 AF sensor and the Z7II imaging and PDAF sensor, and I wouldn't say no to simply plopping in the Z7II chipset while they're at it though I don't expect IBIS). I'd rather not start over again with mirrorless.

To interest me a new DF would want probably one of the Z-body imaging sensors and the EN-EL15 battery, and a cleaner overall design, looks and ergonomics wise a bit more F3HP or F4 base and a bit less "designed by committee". And of course the lens throat control dial for dealing with aperture control on those G and E products and exposure comp on everything else.

But while we're at it, have Nikon ever thought of trying to do a new film camera that supports the E lenses? Or is this film revival a temporary fad that's going to winnow down to a handful of medium format diehards?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2021, 00:22:08 »
But while we're at it, have Nikon ever thought of trying to do a new film camera that supports the E lenses? Or is this film revival a temporary fad that's going to winnow down to a handful of medium format diehards?

I'd like to shoot a little 400 ISO B&W and make a few prints each month. I get a peaceful feeling just sitting in my Darkroom under amber safe light. Fun how one forgets the 16 hour days getting customers to press.

It's extremely unlikely that I will ever shoot color film again and although I could do color printing I didn't like it.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2021, 03:02:37 »

To interest me a new DF would want probably one of the Z-body imaging sensors and the EN-EL15 battery, and a cleaner overall design, looks and ergonomics wise a bit more F3HP or F4 base and a bit less "designed by committee". And of course the lens throat control dial for dealing with aperture control on those G and E products and exposure comp on everything else.

No need for another DF, but would be interesting to have a Ds. Mirrorless rangefinder. Z mount lenses and a STZ adapter.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2021, 17:09:18 »
YES, "No need for another DF,". . . provided Nikon continued to produce the old one.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2021, 18:45:25 »
Second hand DF still sells at higher price than a D4, go figure.

GraXXoR

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2021, 02:35:33 »
Since the OP asked if anyone would buy a df in 2021, I’ll just chime in as someone who has done.

Recently bought a s/h silver Df, (technically at the end of 2020 but) it arrived begining of 2021. I couldn’t resist since it was on sale nearly mint with a silver ring 50 1.8 for about US$1k. 4500 shutter actuations dated 2017.  Note that this is about the same price as a second hand Z6 which can also be bought for about $1k

I bought it because I just wanted a fresh perspective and something to remind me of my Nikon SP/F3/F4 that I used to rock back in the late 90s. Knowing full well I have neither the time nor patience for film.

I am aware that a Z series camera would have also been a fresh perspective, but as someone who used the D4 professionally for half a decade, I already knew what the D4 sensor was capable of, so I consider it a steal. Its “bad rep” is working its price downwards favorably for the s/h market, but making a df2 all but impossible.

For me, the Df represents a perfect storm of balance and necessary compromise.

Here are the things that stand out after 4 months’ ownership.

Size and weight is just right for older AFD and MF lenses
resolution strikes the best balance for IQ/file processing size and speed.
D4 sensor was an inspired choice of sensor with its balance between sensitivity and resolution.
These two factors make it very forgiving of pre-millenial glass from an IQ standpoint.
Handling is a brilliant balance between D and F series.
Design is a decent balance between retro and modern:
  It doesn’t impose like a modern black DSLR and subjects seem less self conscious.
With a dk-17m magnifier, the viewfinder image is a decent balance between size and magnification:
  big enough to work with MF glass but not too big to still be compact or heavy in the hand.
The small sensor resolution means live view update speed is faster than the D800 series and great for nailing f/1.2 at close range.

In fact, IMHO, it's so well balanced that Thanos would probably approve.

Whether you consider them compromises or great balance, is up to you, but for me, not a shred of buyer’s remorse.

Has be come my pleasure photo-cruise camera of choice.

Anyway, OP asked if I would buy one and I say, if you have the money and are looking for something other than the latest and greatest or already own the latest and greatest, then go for it.

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2021, 03:34:43 »
Since the OP asked if anyone would buy a df in 2021, I’ll just chime in as someone who has done.

Recently bought a s/h silver Df, (technically at the end of 2020 but) it arrived begining of 2021. I couldn’t resist since it was on sale nearly mint with a silver ring 50 1.8 for about US$1k. 4500 shutter actuations dated 2017.  Note that this is about the same price as a second hand Z6 which can also be bought for about $1k

I bought it because I just wanted a fresh perspective and something to remind me of my Nikon SP/F3/F4 that I used to rock back in the late 90s. Knowing full well I have neither the time nor patience for film.

I am aware that a Z series camera would have also been a fresh perspective, but as someone who used the D4 professionally for half a decade, I already knew what the D4 sensor was capable of, so I consider it a steal. It’s “bad rep” working it’s price downwards favorably for a/h market, but making a df2 all but impossible.

For me, the Df represents a perfect storm of balance and necessary compromise.

Here are the things that stand out after 4 months’ ownership.

Size and weight is just right for older AFD and MF lenses
resolution strikes the best balance for IQ/file processing size and speed.
D4 sensor was an inspired choice of sensor with its balance between sensitivity and resolution.
Handling is a brilliant balance between D and F series.
Design is a decent balance between retro and modern:
  It doesn’t impose like a modern black DSLR and subjects seem less self conscious.
With a dk-17m magnifier, the viewfinder image is a decent balance between size and magnification:
  big enough to work with MF glass but not too big to still be compact or heavy in the hand.
The small sensor size means live view update speed is faster than the D800 series and great for nailing f/1.2 at close range.

Whether you consider them compromises or great balance, is up to you, but for me, not a shred of buyers remorse.

Has be come my pleasure photo-cruise camera of choice.

Anyway, OP asked if I would buy one and I say, if you have the money and are looking for something other than the latest and greatest or already own the latest and greatest, then go for it.

My favorite response so far!  Thank you!

GraXXoR

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2021, 16:44:09 »
sorry.