Author Topic: Would You Buy A Nikon Df Camera Today?  (Read 8557 times)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Re: Would You Buy A Nikon Df Camera Today?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2021, 03:09:41 »
Sure, one can "punch up" contrast and colors in post, but I'm one who prefers to manipulate an image as little as possible in post.  Not only saves you time, but I believe the more post processing one does on an image the more that image is degraded.

That's one of the major features that appeals to me about the Df camera.  So many Df owners say that the images it makes are terrific with little manipulation needed in post. 

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2021, 04:47:36 »
Sure, one can "punch up" contrast and colors in post, but I'm one who prefers to manipulate an image as little as possible in post.  Not only saves you time, but I believe the more post processing one does on an image the more that image is degraded.

That's one of the major features that appeals to me about the Df camera.  So many Df owners say that the images it makes are terrific with little manipulation needed in post.

No image that we look at is not post processed. If we set or accept the default picture control, e.g. Standard Picture Control from the camera's firmware then the camera post processes the RAW data in camera and renders a JPG image we can view on the rear LCD or on a computer display.

If you ignore the in camera picture controls they are still used. If you open NEF files in Lightroom, Lightroom uses one of its defaults. If you open an NEF in Capture NX-D you have a choice of using the camera's picture controls or the latest picture controls. The image will be slightly different depending on which one you use.

If you shoot JPG(s) check your Shooting Menu and see what Picture Control your camera used because it used one.

None of this is to say a particular image sensor doesn't have a character of its own. Even two camera models using identical sensors may have differences in the image processor or firmware.

Dave

JPG(s) straight out of my D850 are surprisingly good to me. I'm using the Auto Picture Control while shooting. What I'm comparing my D850's JPG(s) to are those from the D2H, D300s and D800. That's all I can compare them with. I shoot NEF because as a darkroom guy by trade I want more control. A JPG to me is like a quick test print from my B&W wet darkroom days.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 02:18:59 »
To what do Nikon Df's loyal users attribute the look of Df images?

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2021, 04:08:56 »
To the Df, of course, David, but the real question is the one the initial poster asked: Would you buy a Df camera today?  My answer is "Yes."

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2021, 04:14:34 »
To the Df, of course, David, but the real question is the one the initial poster asked: Would you buy a Df camera today?  My answer is "Yes."

I'm casually wondering if I should have bought a Df once.

Dave

[Corrected cut & paste error]

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2021, 07:56:05 »
I'm casually wondering if I should have bought a Df once.

Dave

Maybe the best deal in town (if the world is a town) ..l

https://komehyo.jp/product/260-003-622-0113/
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2021, 10:22:09 »
To what do Nikon Df's loyal users attribute the look of Df images?
From what was told by Nikon Pro Service when it was released;

The sensor is based on the sensor of the D4, and the difference/advantage of the Df is that the sensor and electronics are fully designed without video to provide a very clean image.
I'm sure you can find more if you go back and look when it was released.,
Erik Lund

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2021, 10:32:03 »
Interesting info Erik, thanks. In my experience - and for me - the best part of the Df is indeed it's unique sensor. Very nice "non-digital" looking images and very good at high iso's.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2021, 19:04:19 »
I think it is a problem if Nikon admits that still image quality is compromised in bodies that has video capability?
Then I want a Z-body without video capability.

Are images from Z-bodies "digital" looking compared to Df images regardless of lenses used?
I assume that "digital" looking is a very "clean" look.....near perfect.....as many Z-lenses delivers?

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2021, 19:30:52 »
I think it is a problem if Nikon admits that still image quality is compromised in bodies that has video capability?
Then I want a Z-body without video capability.

Are images from Z-bodies "digital" looking compared to Df images regardless of lenses used?
I assume that "digital" looking is a very "clean" look.....near perfect.....as many Z-lenses delivers?

I have both. When I have a chance I'll post a comparison. Please remind me if I fail to do this by end of week.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2021, 20:15:17 »
Interesting info Erik, thanks. In my experience - and for me - the best part of the Df is indeed it's unique sensor. Very nice "non-digital" looking images and very good at high iso's.
As far i can see here yes!

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2021, 00:26:58 »
From what was told by Nikon Pro Service when it was released;

The sensor is based on the sensor of the D4, and the difference/advantage of the Df is that the sensor and electronics are fully designed without video to provide a very clean image.
I'm sure you can find more if you go back and look when it was released.,

I ended up buying that Df camera yesterday.  Thanks to everyone for your advice on that camera. 

The Df I'm now an owner of is a black one, looks like new, with 2,000 shutter clicks.  Got it for $1,000 USD.

I've been doing some test shooting to get a feel for the camera.  Here's my initial feelings on it:

1. Just like you said Erik, it's a really "clean" image.  Sharp with realistic color - not much to do to a Df file in post. 
2. The grip is too small for me - but I ordered an aftermarket vertical battery grip for it which I expect will help. 
3. I don't care for all the retro knobs on the top as I really don't use them for my style of photography much.  I didn't buy this camera for the retro look, bought it for the incredible sensor that's in it.
4. The sensor is probably the best sensor that I've had in any of the many digital cameras I have owned.
5. It's been very cold here in northern Wisconsin USA lately.  I did get out and shot some snow photos.  I used a Zeiss Milvus ZF 85mm f/1.4 wide open for the below test shot.  The top image is with no processing in post; the bottom image is after recovering the blow highlights in post with the Adobe Camera RAW Converter. The ability of the to recover blown out highlights from overexposed Df image files is very good!

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2021, 02:58:51 »
Alright let's do a little quiz here  ;D
Two pictures of a boring Californian backyard (almost same framing, taken minutes apart)
f5.6, 1/125s, Iso100, 28mm 1.4E, NL profile, resized in NX-D, all settings 100% identical for both cameras
Which is the Df, which the Z6?
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2021, 08:28:42 »
Of course it’s a crap shoot really, but I’d say the top one is DF. But don’t quote me on that!
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2021, 09:02:22 »
I still like mine

Df, zf2 35mm f/1.4