Author Topic: Would You Buy A Nikon Df Camera Today?  (Read 8569 times)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Would You Buy A Nikon Df Camera Today?
« on: February 12, 2021, 23:12:57 »
A photographer in my little town has a Nikon Df camera for sale.  Less than 5,000 shutter clicks on it.  I am thinking about buying it, but before I do, I would love to get some advice from the Df experts here.

I shoot flowers and other subjects I encounter during my walks and hikes.  I mostly post them to the Internet, but do occasionally print up to 20 by 30 inches on my large format Epson printer.

My main camera is a 36mp Pentax K-1.  I also shoot 6 older 10-14mp CCD cameras because I love how these old CCD sensor cameras render colors.

The overall rendering of an image is the most important to me; more important than sharpness or megapixels.  I have read here on NikonGear that many of you think the rendering of the Df is very special.

I own dozens of lenses, primarily Zeiss Milvus ZF lenses, and old fast Nikkor primes.

Given the above, do you think I'd be happy with the overall rendering of my lenses on a Df camera?

Thanks,
Dave in Wisconsin USA

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Would You Buy A Nikon Df Camera Today?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 23:20:04 »
I recently purchased my fourth Df.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 23:45:14 »
You value image rendering, got lots of old Nikkors and new Zeiss, you walk and hike, and already have a 36 Mpix camera :  you tick all the boxes... get it.

I bought a Df in May 2014 and since then, I've been using it nearly every day (!) and on every trip, and with all sorts of lenses, mosty manual focus.
For full happiness, consider buying a magnifying eyepiece (DK-17M).

I've used other digital cameras, including D700, D800, OM-D E-M1. The Df pics look most natural to me and seldom require significant correction in post processing. Compared with the OM-D which I used in parallel for a long time, the latter often produces briliant images, but they have a "chemical" or "processed" character that is absent from Df pics.
Airy Magnien

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 23:57:18 »
Thanks so much for your feedback.   I greatly appreciate it!

This weekend I'll be meeting this seller and intend to purchase his Df.  I'll be sure to post back here photos of the new camera and a few of my initial images.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 00:10:55 »
I recently purchased my fourth Df.

What happened with the other 3 Df's?

I think my choice would be a Z6.......

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 00:31:24 »
I might opt for a Z5 when my eyesight makes MF too challenging. I prefer optical viewfinders.
Airy Magnien

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 00:34:52 »
The reason for a Z6 was that there seems to be some nice 2nd hand at a reasonable price and I would like to try the in-body VR.....
Will have a look at Z5......

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 01:01:39 »
I think my Df was the most enjoyable camera I had, but...

....But, since I use the Z6, I use the Df about...Well let's say...less than 5% of the shootings !

If you don't plan to go toward mirrorless, don't hesitate, go for the Df ! ;)
Francis Devrainne

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 07:14:33 »
Speaking of the DF .... This seems quite a decent deal. Less than 2000 shots, and a one year warranty.

You will need to run in through Google translate though :-)

https://komehyo.jp/product/270-003-465-0230/
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 07:41:54 »
The Df is a great camera. It is perfect for walking around with a couple of old nikkors. That said, I use my Z6 almost all the time now. My ability to focus up close is not what it used to be, so having the ability to change magnification in the viewer is nearly essential. If the price is good, give the DF a try. If you do not like it, I’m sure you can find another buyer for it and not lose but your time.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 08:52:18 »
Timely post!
There were 3 new in stock Df black kits from Nikon Aus on Amazon.com.au that I’d been watching for a while.
Sudden price drop to AUD$2100 = US$1600 on Friday - so I grabbed another one.

I already have a cherished silver Df since 2014 with focussingscreen K3, magnified DK 17M like Airy, a Match Technical red ladybug soft release shutter button and Artist&Artisan Happogumi silk wrist strap. It’s been with me all over the world, and is always reliable.

I’ve just checked the site and price is back to AUD$4000 and only 2 left in stock....

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 09:55:03 »
Timely post!
There were 3 new in stock Df black kits from Nikon Aus on Amazon.com.au that I’d been watching for a while.
Sudden price drop to AUD$2100 = US$1600 on Friday - so I grabbed another one.

I already have a cherished silver Df since 2014 with focussingscreen K3, magnified DK 17M like Airy, a Match Technical red ladybug soft release shutter button and Artist&Artisan Happogumi silk wrist strap. It’s been with me all over the world, and is always reliable.

I’ve just checked the site and price is back to AUD$4000 and only 2 left in stock....

How about the focusing screen shims? I have found it to be a crap shoot about which shins to use.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 17:27:37 »
What happened with the other 3 Df's?

I think my choice would be a Z6.......

I got a couple of Z6 specimens  too, but they are not endearing in the same manner as the Df.

As to the number of Df cameras: one drowned, another is rebuilt as a display item (courtesy my friend Erik) after a major tumble (broke a few ribs myself), two are alive and kicking.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 18:06:26 »
I wonder what the conditions of every one's  Df's  and shutter counts are, mine is about 100k clicks and definitely shows sign of wear.

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 18:18:53 »
I wonder what the conditions of every one's  Df's  and shutter counts are, mine is about 100k clicks and definitely shows sign of wear.

Your "mechanical shutter" shows signs of wear?

With my other camera I often use the "electronic shutter" to achieve a faster shutter speed when shooting fast glass wide open during the day.  Does the Df have an electronic shutter?  If not, do you find that its' fastest shutter speed (1/4,000th) has you reaching for your ND filters?