Author Topic: Zoom-Nikkor 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6!!!  (Read 1180 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Zoom-Nikkor 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 21:00:49 »
https://richardhaw.com/2021/02/04/repair-af-zoom-nikkor-75-300mm-f-4-5-5-6/

underwhelming but not useless :o :o :o
I am impressed with your continued work on the testing and repair  of the 'unknown' and nearly forgotten lenses ! 

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 21:51:43 »
I bought one of these AF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 lenses from KEH.com. I may as well admit that I learned of this lens from Ken Rockwell. As soon as I confirmed the purchase I thought why didn't I check Nærfoto Bjørn Rørslett for a review? I immediately tried to cancel the order but KEH.com offered no way to cancel the order only minutes after placing it. When the AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 lens arrived I made a number of test shots and found the lens' performance to be unusable at 200-300mm. The build quality in my estimation is poor. In 48 hours I had it packed and ready to ship back to KEH.com. I think Bjørn Rørslett's mini review may have been too kind.

Ken Rockwell's site is a good place to gain familiarity with lenses for Nikon cameras but (Stern Warning) do not make a purchase based on Ken's reviews as sometimes he's talking trash!  :o :o :o

Dave

A sadder man but wiser now I sing these words to you:
Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

--Ralph McTell, as sung by Peter, Paul and Mary.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 01:49:58 »
I am impressed with your continued work on the testing and repair  of the 'unknown' and nearly forgotten lenses !
Thanks! I think I should stop at one point, too many lenses in this tiny house  :o :o :o

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 01:51:03 »
I bought one of these AF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 lenses from KEH.com. I may as well admit that I learned of this lens from Ken Rockwell. As soon as I confirmed the purchase I thought why didn't I check Nærfoto Bjørn Rørslett for a review? I immediately tried to cancel the order but KEH.com offered no way to cancel the order only minutes after placing it. When the AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 lens arrived I made a number of test shots and found the lens' performance to be unusable at 200-300mm. The build quality in my estimation is poor. In 48 hours I had it packed and ready to ship back to KEH.com. I think Bjørn Rørslett's mini review may have been too kind.

Ken Rockwell's site is a good place to gain familiarity with lenses for Nikon cameras but (Stern Warning) do not make a purchase based on Ken's reviews as sometimes he's talking trash!  :o :o :o

Dave

A sadder man but wiser now I sing these words to you:
Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

--Ralph McTell, as sung by Peter, Paul and Mary.

That's Tom Jones :o :o :o

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 05:05:10 »
Thanks! I think I should stop at one point, too many lenses in this tiny house  :o :o :o
No, Please do not stop! I enjoy these articles and frequently read the full article.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 05:55:27 »
Perhaps I missed them but I'll recommend an article on the AF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D and AF 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5D Nikkors. I believe these were both kit lenses. They perform quite nicely on the D850 wide open and naturally the center improves when stopped down one stop. The edge performance is probably improved by stopping down to f/8 to f/11 but I'm generally not as concerned about edge performance. I paid in the range of $80.00 to $105.00 (USD) for these lenses in excellent to excellent + condition.

The AF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D is notably small and light. The flare control is much better than the AF 30-70mm f/2.8D I used to use as a mid range zoom. The AF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D has a 9-blade aperture which I prefer. The AF 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5D doesn't focus as close as I would like but otherwise it's a pretty nice lens.

Anyway I'd like to read a serious review of these lenses. I did check these lenses for de-centering and returned one, probably an AF 28-70/3.5-4.5D. I bought kept two of each. Why buy a $40.00 protection filter when the price on a spare lenses is so low?

Dave