Author Topic: Amazingly wobbly D700 multi selector.  (Read 1025 times)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Amazingly wobbly D700 multi selector.
« on: February 04, 2021, 11:19:35 »
I just took delivery of a D700. Low shutter count (15,000), and although it seems to be in fine condition, the multi selector is amazingly wobbly. Almost unresponsive navigating the menu, with actions ignored as often as registered.

Is this ‘normal’? I really do feel it could fall off at any moment.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

ianwatson

Re: Amazingly wobbly D700 multi selector.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 16:11:56 »
No, that is not normal. If the camera is otherwise fine then it might be worth having it repaired.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 16:26:09 »
Many thanks.

I am trying to return it, but the eBay seller is a bit cagey ..

I also noticed that the tiny screw inside the battery chamber that holds the rubber grip in place is missing. Implying that at some point the grip was replaced and the screw not put back.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 17:54:12 »
The D700 multiselector feels a bit loose on mine.  I actually have three D700s--my favorite Nikon DSLR of all time.  I wouldn't call it wobbly, however.  You do have to press it pretty much solidly for it to catch.  Also, if you're not pressing it exactly right it may read it as a different direction than you intended.  Like if you wanted to view the next image and instead you pressed the "up".  Kinda annoying but you get used to it.

Hope this makes sense to you.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 21:18:37 »
I did send it back, and obtained one with a better knob :-) But this one has a slightly worn ‘OK’ button. As the back is easy to remove, I ordered a block of buttons on eBay, and also a ‘new’ selector button for when this one gets wobbly.

Compared to modern Nikons this design of selector seems very crude. Though I once owned a D200, and I seem to remember a confidence inducing selector.