Author Topic: Nikon FTZ screw-mount lens adapter?  (Read 6166 times)

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
Nikon FTZ screw-mount lens adapter?
« on: February 03, 2021, 21:22:05 »
Thom Hogan is well informed and not one to post wild rumours. In this recent article https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/for-those-with-sony-paranoi.html he mentions the possibility of a forthcoming screw-mount lens adapter. I quote "I think we'll also see the missing screw-mount lens adapter, too. I know that Nikon has heard the screams on that.". Of course, no certainty but it sure would be great if Nikon were to introduce such an adapter.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
Re: Nikon FTZ screw-mount lens adapter?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 23:45:26 »
I don't think an FTZ AF will be successful.

Why ?

#1-  It's to late. Only old Nikon fans would be interested, and only if they own several AFD lenses. 3 3

#2- This device already exists and allows any lens to auto-focus, which means all kind of lenses, all vintage lenses, any optical system with mount.

#3- FTZ price : 290€ just to use a Nikon lens without AR, except AFS leses. So. how much will it cost with a screwdriver for AFD ? ???

Wait and see, but I made  my choice already If I come back to autocus...

FD.

Francis Devrainne

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 02:03:52 »
Not sure it's too late!
From 18 to 50mm alone there are already 5 Mio. units (AF and AF-D) around... This number includes primes only! Don't forget all the zoom lenses.
Nikon rarely is first but once they are marketing a product it is usually superior
I wouldn't judge them so quickly  8)
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 02:22:34 »
P.S. the user base jumps to an impressive 14.3 Mio units when including all AF/AF-D zoom lenses starting from up to 50mm

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 03:49:02 »
P.P.S. the number increases to 20+ Mio lenses (AF,AF-D) when you include zoom lenses and DX (only the 10.5mm fisheye)
I dare to say that the numbers on Roland Vink's site represent less than 50% of the actually shipped units
Can Nikon at their currently challenging financial situation even afford to not tap into this huge potential???

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 12:03:57 »
All those existing adapters don't give you the Exif-information a Nikon adapter would, so I think there's a market for it. But it will be an expensive one (> €400 I guess)
Chris Dees

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 21:25:39 »
I'd like to see an screw-drive FTZ, even if it would only be to use my 105DC with the Z6!

I've been trying to figure out how such a device would work, can't see it tbh

John

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 21:29:32 »
I dare to say that the numbers on Roland Vink's site represent less than 50% of the actually shipped units
:o :o :o

For pre-AI, AI and AI-S lenses, I have serial numbers within 100s or 10s of the known starting point. These are the lenses I have the best information on, because I like them the most and spent more time (25+ years) researching them, and there is a base of collectors and enthusiasts who are willing to share new information with me. In theory I have the same chance of of finding serials just as close to the last lens made as the first, so for most if not all lenses, my numbers should be close to 100% of the units shipped.

For older AF lenses, photographers tend to send me early serial numbers when a new lens comes to market. After that interest tends to drop off so I get less frequent updates. Like the manual lenses, I also spent a lot of time collecting more serial numbers from pictures on auction sites. Most of these lenses don't interest me quite as much, so my numbers may not be as complete, maybe within 1000s of the starting and end points. I'd still say my numbers are well above 90% of units shipped.

The high volume kit zooms are hardest to keep track of, they are churned out so fast it is hard to keep up with production numbers. Plus they are of less interest to me and others in general so I am less inclined to spend time trying to find new serial numbers. So where production of some lenses may be in the millions, my numbers could be hundreds of thousands short, but I would say in most cases my numbers are still well above 50% and probably much higher.

For recent lenses that are in current production, the numbers on my site can be quite mixed. A photographer may send me the serial number of their shiny new lens, so for the moment my numbers are probably close to 100%. But then I may not get another update for a year or two while production keeps going so the numbers for that lens get progressively more out of date. But even here I'd say my figures are still pretty good. On my site I flag lenses which are new within the last 6 months so you have some indication of how up to date the serial numbers are.

For cameras, my numbers are less accurate. Some of the older professional cameras are well covered, the cheaper high-volume cameras are less so for the same reasons as the high-volume lenses. Also, Nikon have a bad practice of splitting up the serial numbers into multiple regional zones, which makes it much harder to keep track serial numbers in each zone. For some camera models it is possible that I have missed some smaller regions completely. I can only work with the information that I am given (I don't have any inside knowledge from Nikon) but the aim of that page is more to give an overview of specifications and an indication of the regional serial numbers, not the complete picture.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 22:52:23 »
I would buy one
Preferably it shouldhave AI support as well -probably it won't have but who knows
I guess a new adapter might accompany the Z9 release
Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 23:26:12 »
I'd like to see an screw-drive FTZ, even if it would only be to use my 105DC with the Z6!

I've been trying to figure out how such a device would work, can't see it tbh

John

Mechanically the FTZ is rather large and it should be not too difficult to work in a small screw drive motor, even if it makes it a bit lumpier.
Then there would just be firmware updates to identify the lens and execute the proper focus mode (which is already known and implemented in the earlier cameras).
Power to the motor would be through the power supply contacts already in the mount.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 23:48:03 »
I have an AF 300/2.8 ED-IF where such an adapter would bring new life to the lens.
A screwdriver adapter is needed here. The Megadap principle does not work with such heavy lenses.

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 05:39:22 »
For older AF lenses, photographers tend to send me early serial numbers when a new lens comes to market. After that interest tends to drop off so I get less frequent updates. Like the manual lenses, I also spent a lot of time collecting more serial numbers from pictures on auction sites. Most of these lenses don't interest me quite as much, so my numbers may not be as complete, maybe within 1000s of the starting and end points. I'd still say my numbers are well above 90% of units shipped.

The high volume kit zooms are hardest to keep track of, they are churned out so fast it is hard to keep up with production numbers. Plus they are of less interest to me and others in general so I am less inclined to spend time trying to find new serial numbers. So where production of some lenses may be in the millions, my numbers could be hundreds of thousands short, but I would say in most cases my numbers are still well above 50% and probably much higher.
By no means any criticism of your great database Roland! Especially since I am a regular contributor for many years 8)
I was only referring to the older AF, AF-D lenses and am still hesitant regarding your high percentage estimate. There are millions of casual shooters around the world who have no idea or even interest in NikonGear, Nikon rumors, or your great site. In my own "space" alone I know tons of "photographers" who couldn't care less about serial numbers. How could you take into account these numbers?
I believe your data set of pre-Ai to AiS lenses is much more precise - for these I would agree with 90%.
For the AF / AFD primes and zooms a 75% coverage appears much more realistic. In the end the numbers don't matter I just wanted to point out the significant potential for a new FTZ adapter ;D

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 07:58:43 »
I checked the database for the largest lens Nikon made with "AF screwdriver" and it seems it is the one I have......the AF 300/2.8 ED-IF? 
I even have the latest N-version.....so lens is a bit of Nikon history......unless I have missed a larger Nikkor using "AF-screw" method?

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 12:03:21 »
Mechanically the FTZ is rather large and it should be not too difficult to work in a small screw drive motor, even if it makes it a bit lumpier.
Then there would just be firmware updates to identify the lens and execute the proper focus mode (which is already known and implemented in the earlier cameras).
Power to the motor would be through the power supply contacts already in the mount.

It's an interesting thought - I wonder what the chances are? Seems like a lot of engineering for a fairly small customer base though, but maybe they thought the same about the Df?

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 12:57:40 »
All those existing adapters don't give you the Exif-information a Nikon adapter would, so I think there's a market for it. But it will be an expensive one (> €400 I guess)

I have an AF 300/2.8 ED-IF where such an adapter would bring new life to the lens.
A screwdriver adapter is needed here. The Megadap principle does not work with such heavy lenses.

I agree with all points expressed here.

Mostly about the exifs information Chris pointed out.

Also about the potentiel weakness of megadap system with heavy lenses.

However , not sure screwdriver (geared system) will focus as fast as the megadap system, but I may be wrong.

Once again, my opinion isn't to bash an accessory, as I admit this screwdriver will be very useful for those wishing to use their heavy AFD lenses, but most of Z users will go toward the magadap/techard system thanks its wider  range of usable lenses.

FD

Francis Devrainne