Author Topic: Best Lenses for the New GFX 100mm S Camera  (Read 2731 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Best Lenses for the New GFX 100mm S Camera
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 21:42:52 »
.......but which images can be made with GFX which can't be made with a Z7.....where there will be a real objective (or subjective) difference that matters?
You probably need to go into pixel level to see a real difference (noise, details).
Both images can be printed without problems at A2 or A1 poster size. Viewed on a monitor I don't think there is a visible difference unless it is a cropped detail at pixel level.
And maybe the fine Z-lenses can't be matched by anything for the GFX. 

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 00:59:29 »
.......but which images can be made with GFX which can't be made with a Z7.....where there will be a real objective (or subjective) difference that matters?
You probably need to go into pixel level to see a real difference (noise, details).
Both images can be printed without problems at A2 or A1 poster size. Viewed on a monitor I don't think there is a visible difference unless it is a cropped detail at pixel level.
And maybe the fine Z-lenses can't be matched by anything for the GFX.

Agree! It is always a risk to say "what we have now is enough", but given how images are presented and consumed, I think we are in a good position now to make that statement for a while.
And I think that the future is not going to be larger camera systems. The history of photographic technology has always been in the direction of making camera systems as small as acceptable. For this reason, MF is a dead end. It will be a niche, and niches do not get the investment required to keep up as technology progresses.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 06:23:01 »
Agree! It is always a risk to say "what we have now is enough", but given how images are presented and consumed, I think we are in a good position now to make that statement for a while.

Do you remember when people said 4.1MP from the D2H was all anyone could want? I didn't agree back then but what the hell, they said it.

Dave  :)
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 06:51:16 »
Do you remember when people said 4.1MP from the D2H was all anyone could want? I didn't agree back then but what the hell, they said it.

Dave  :)

I do. Those days rec.photo used to have violent disagreements about whether digital could replace film too. The limitations now are mostly around how we can consume that many pixels. And of course with digital technology it is easier than ever to stitch when you need extreme amounts of pixels. I’m more interested in having fewer more sensitive pixels for low light.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 08:03:25 »
......and if you should switch to medium format......then why not the Hasselblad system. Especially if it is mostly studio work. Then the H-system has a solution for a 400 MP real RGB image:

https://www.hasselblad.com/h-system/

....using a "real" MF-sensor......so.....large pixels.....

The images we show here on monitors......a 5MP FX camera would probably be sufficient if we could frame images without the need to crop.